Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Brining

Options
curious to know how many eggers prefer wet brining over dry brining. 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    One vote for wet. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     After watching several YouTube videos and reading a Meathead (I think?) article on the topic of brining I decided I did not want to add  tapwater to my meat. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I have a confession to make.  Ive
    never brined anything. 

Well, not intentionally.  There’s a brine vs marinade conversation that would be had, but I’ll leave that to the smaht kids 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I'm lazy and dry brining is quite simple for me.  But for a few recipes I will go down the wet brine route so this post reads like a wimp answer.
    Of the two options, dry brine for the win.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm doing a Chuck Roast right now, I dry brined (Kosher salt) last night .. dry brining IS a win!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Depends on what you're brining.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I always wet brine turkeys, and sometimes whole chicken. But that’s just me 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Depends on what I'm brining and how much time I have.  Wet brine in a vac for a hr or so work wonders on chicken 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Depends. I wet brine turkey, pork butts and on occasion poke chops. Dry brine others. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Technically, aren't we dry brining any time we put a dry rub ( that contains salt ) on hours before cooking ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Preferences are....

Equilibrium wet brining/pickle for curing.

Injection brining/pumping fryers and turkeys. (speeding up the brining process and keeping the skin from getting waterlogged)

Gradient brining pork chops, loin.

Dry brining wings, butts, ribs, chicken parts.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I saw a cooking show the other day and they did a leg of lamb and said they normally serve brisket and they had just finished a three day wet brine. 

Ive done a turkey but injected everything else, and when I have brined its only been a day. Anyone else heard of a multi day brine for brisket instead of injection?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I have not wet brined brisket but seem to recall a couple of posts regarding that process.  I will wet age it for 1-2 weeks if I plan that far ahead.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I wet brine whole chickens, turkey, pork chops, and pork loin. Nothing fancy, just Kosher Salt and Brown Sugar in water for a few hours. I'll be brining the next Pork Butt I do too.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wet brine Chicken, not dark meat sections, Turkey,  Pork Chops, loin and butts. Everything else is dry brine.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    I have wet brined chicken and pork with great success.
    Beef I tried once and did not like the results so never tried again.  Dry brine beef for me.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I dry brine my pork bellies for bacon but wet brine my pork loins for back bacon. So Yes.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    best frozen turkeys are the kosher empire birds, already rubbed with salt, not sure that constitutes dry brining but those birds are better than most
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it