Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have an Audi Q5?

Options
Thoughts?  I think this is a more than less new model in 2018. 

SWMBO spent a good time today at the Audi dealership for a test drive and beating them down on a new Q5.  She's defecting from her last two cars - X3. 

BTW - if anyone in the area wants an absolutely mint 2013 X3, loaded, she will sell for trade-in.  48,000 miles.

I'm not one to buy new cars, but as a used car buyer, SWMBO really babies her cars - frequent wax, cleaning, fixes anything broken.  This X3 is as good as it was new.   But $33K less than the new price.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We do not have one, but my brother-in-law and his family do.  They love it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Is there a specific reason she is defecting?   Just curious.  
    4 years ago we were going between the Q5 and X3, Drove the cars on the same roads and even had the cars overnight on extended test drives. 
    The fit, finish and looks of the Q5 was hands down much better, however we went with the X3 because the handling was much better on the pothole ridden PA roads.
    Side question, did you guys do the performance center pickup with the last two X3s? 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    4 years ago we were going between the Q5 and X3, Drove the cars on the same roads and even had the cars overnight on extended test drives. 
    The fit, finish and looks of the Q5 was hands down much better, however we went with the X3 because the handling was much better on the pothole ridden PA roads.
    Side question, did you guys do the performance center pickup with the last two X3s? 
    @Sea2Ski Yes to the reason for defecting, somewhat.  The BMW salesman she bought her last two X3s from either died or retired (embarrassingly, I don't remember which).  Her new sales guy is a total Focker.  She's loved the X3, although it's not my bag I really think it's perfect for her because she drives a bit sporty and it's got the sporty car handling with the egress, cargo space and luxury of a higher end German car. 

For some irrational reason, to her, once the warranty expires, she feels like she needs something new, even though I tell her I can keep it maintained until the end of time, (provided I can get/steal parts).

So, based on her dislike for the salesperson, she took a harder look at the Audi, and it turns out they're really on to something based on the CR and other reviews I've read.  This translated into some kind of farfegnugen to her, apparently.  I am tepid at best with Audi based on my experiences with owning a 1997 Audi A8 and a 1980-something GT.

But anyway, it's her decision and I support it.  When we do road trips, she drives and I ride, and the Audi does everything you could want sans oral.

No, she did not do the performance center pickup.  Maybe that would make her more loyal?

Options
    Options
    ...and SWMBO is dealing with an Audi sales guy that happens to do internet sales (buying with the Costco and other internet discounts) and she loves him.
    My mom got one before trading it in for her Rover last year. She wanted the Q7 but got the 5. She thought the 5 was a little "jerky" but she is a pretty twitchy driver. 

I really liked it. I took it on a road trip to Memphis. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    All valid points. Loved everything about the Audi but when I came down to it,the X3 just drove better for us. My wife also is a sporty driver. She drives the thing in sport mode all the time. I suppose that is why for the third time she is one point away from losing her license. But I digress....

If you  errr...  she decides to stay loyal, negotiate the price and all, then ask for a performance center pickup unless you are buying off the lot. We have done it twice now, and it is well worth it. The "option" is free with the purchase of the 60K car. (Do not misunderstand - as long as you are buying or leasing any new BMW, you can do it)
    I mean, how else can you throw a new car that is just like your new one on a track and be told by a driver to go faster and faster. You can really see what the car can do and see how it handles in different situations and conditions. If you fly in, they will pick you up at the airport, put you in a hotel room and you even get a free dinner off the BMW menu.  In my opinion, it is well worth it. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @Sea2Ski Yes to the reason for defecting, somewhat.  The BMW salesman she bought her last two X3s from either died or retired (embarrassingly, I don't remember which).  Her new sales guy is a total Focker.  She's loved the X3, although it's not my bag I really think it's perfect for her because she drives a bit sporty and it's got the sporty car handling with the egress, cargo space and luxury of a higher end German car. 

For some irrational reason, to her, once the warranty expires, she feels like she needs something new, even though I tell her I can keep it maintained until the end of time, (provided I can get/steal parts).

So, based on her dislike for the salesperson, she took a harder look at the Audi, and it turns out they're really on to something based on the CR and other reviews I've read.  This translated into some kind of farfegnugen to her, apparently.  I am tepid at best with Audi based on my experiences with owning a 1997 Audi A8 and a 1980-something GT.

But anyway, it's her decision and I support it.  When we do road trips, she drives and I ride, and the Audi does everything you could want sans oral.

No, she did not do the performance center pickup.  Maybe that would make her more loyal?

This the new sales guy?

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't have anything to add re: Q5 vs X3, but my experience buying a new car for SWMBO last year learned me this:

1. The end of the 3rd quarter is the time to buy. The 2 dealers we were talking to were ready to do just about anything to get us to buy. Timing wasn't on our side, so we ended up buying in mid-October.  They're trying to meet quotas for the quarter, running up to the end of the year, without the help of heavy national sales advertising  that most carmakers roll out at the end  of the year. At least that's my theory. 

2. The Costco discount is great if you're not the negotiating/bargaining type, but you can do better if you are. One dealer more than doubled the Costco discount on a fully loaded 2017 Subaru Outback. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We were in the same boat about a year ago, but with different cars.  Wife wanted a new Jeep Wrangler, I prodded, and pleaded for a 4Runner. I work on cars everyday, and know that the jeep is a pos, didn't matter, thats what she wanted. Fast forward a year, we're  the proud owners of a year old pos jeep, and she still LOVES IT. And I still hate it. Let her get the hitlers revenge pretty step sister...you have your Porsche.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Was going for the A5 but settled on the 07 Corolla instead. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    A little OT but has she looked into a pinzgauer? You would have to go to their website and put your zip in the dealer locator. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    A colleague has a Q5 that's maybe 2 years old.  Just had it in the shop for losing power - this has been happening off and on.  30ish k miles.  Had it in the shop, they didn't know what it was, suggested plugs (shouldn't be at 30k) and they kept it for about 3 days, talking to Audi support, etc.  I know she got it back and it seems to be fine.  I don't know what the fix was but I can ask.  She told me she googled the forums with the symptoms she was experiencing and said there was quite a bit of chatter about the same thing, no clear answer what it was though.  I'll ask what the story was.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    But she absolutely loves the car.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ...and SWMBO is dealing with an Audi sales guy that happens to do internet sales (buying with the Costco and other internet discounts) and she loves him.
    If she loves him, I would submit that you have bigger things to worry about than your next vehicle choice. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Wives are more expensive than I remember.

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    blasting said:

Certainly can be expensive to trade them in for newer models.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    blasting said:

Cheaper to keep her
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    blasting said:

This can be troublesome, as it usually entails some form of continued maintenance for the former one.  
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    God — I love a Nola thread....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    My mom got one before trading it in for her Rover last year. She wanted the Q7 but got the 5. She thought the 5 was a little "jerky" but she is a pretty twitchy driver. 

Dude, she's the same way.  She constantly micro-corrects.  Drives me nuts so i try not to dwell on it.   I'm in the "focus on infinity" camp and rarely adjust the steering.  Of course all bets are off in my car with crosswinds.

Dude, she's the same way.  She constantly micro-corrects.  Drives me nuts so i try not to dwell on it.   I'm in the "focus on infinity" camp and rarely adjust the steering.  Of course all bets are off in my car with crosswinds.
    I didn't know the steering wheel even rotated in your car.  I thought it was a straight shot to work and back, zero turns to give.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I really like the Audi R8 with the V10 engine.  Maybe you could convince her to go that route?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I didn't know the steering wheel even rotated in your car.  I thought it was a straight shot to work and back, zero turns to give.
    ...unless your mom is riding shotgun, then i tend to weave around for some reason...
    Options
    No
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

...unless your mom is riding shotgun, then i tend to weave around for some reason...
    Gee Carey.  That's kind of a... low blow.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sadly i can't bend my knee enough to even get in my car with the fvcked up leg, so I'm slumming it in the truck.
    Options

Gee Carey.  That's kind of a... low blow.
    I think its more a mid height blow.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I know a few people who own Audi vehicles and love them, specifically the Q5. I have no personal experience with either vehicle though. I have also not heard of them having any major problems with their Q5s. As others have stated on vehicle shopping for the wife, even with heavy input on my end as long as said vehicle fits within the budget range (or a little over), the wife gets what she wants. Went through that with the last car. I suggested camery and wife wanted Honda accord, the Honda is currently sitting in our driveway... 
    LBGE
    AL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    It doesn't matter what any of us think. Mama wants an Audi, mama is getting an Audi.