Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Electric Meat Slicers - Good, bad, otherwise...?

Thinking about getting one for making thinner beef jerky, roast beef deli slices, etc.  Looks like Chef's Choice are getting decent reviews on Amazon.   What do I need to know or consider about these things?  Go !
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Many have said the consumer grade slicers are a poor choice. They struggle with a heavy workload and have too many plastic parts to last long. Also, they often have a small diameter blade. Don't know, have never owned one. Commercial units will last forever and will handle anything you throw at them. This is true. However...

I bought a used Globe 150, vintage 1949 I think. It creaks and groans a bit but it still cuts paper thin beef or 1/2" slices of bread. Has a sharpener too. The problem is, it's as big as my CAR and I don't really have a good spot for it. I had it out in a convenient spot, but used it so little that I wound up moving it elsewhere. Now I use even less. The good news is, I only paid about $100.

So...
    • Commercial slicers are much better and will last forever
    • Used ones can be had from $100-$400 or so
    • They take up a lot of counter space and are too heavy to "put away"
    • Think about how much you will actually use it before you decide buy.

Here's mine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I agree, I have too many commercial things in my small kitchen. I have a Berkel 12 Quart mixer that weighs 75# and a Besco Model 40 tamale machine. 
    Commercial stuff is great to have, but they are a beast to move.
    I do love my commercial Vitamix and my Robot Coup food processor, they can't be beat for making salsa's and processing veggies.
    What I don't love is the space it all takes up.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I do not have a commercial one, but the one I have is fairly old, and has all metal parts. Although smaller than commercial, OT still takes up a SL of counter space, and weighs a lot. 
    If you cook your own stuff, a lot, and like shaved, these things are the bomb. If not, you might be better buying a very nice carving set and a diamond dust sharpening rod.
    I can slice very thin using those, and they take up little room.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I am looking at Avantco brand, good pricing for commercial slicer.  
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    How big of a PITA are they to clean? That's my main concern. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    We have a Graef consumer grade slicer. Plenty of plastic, but German plastic, so it's sturdy enough and has a really sharp blade. Does a few lbs of beef or turkey easily and cuts thin if you want it to. 

Of course, I would have a commercial slicer given the choice, but Anne would kill me and use the slicer to dispose of the body if I took up that much kitchen space. The Graef is a compromise, but it can be easily put away when not in use.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    We got a Globe G10 as part of the ever escalating charcuterie effort.  We made the tradeoff to go a little smaller so that it could be put away. While we have a lot of counter space, 12" and up slicers are HUGE. 

However, with a 10" slicer, big slabs of belly have to be folded in half to slice.  It works fine, but detracts a bit from the "I love having a bada$$ slicer" sensation. We still made the right choice for us, but I would get a monster if you really have the room. 

Last, when considering slicers, look in the reviews on how easy (or hard) they are to clean. The Globe comes apart in seconds, and cleans very easily. You are much more likely to enjoy it if you don't dread the cleanup. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Wow.  Good stuff to consider!  Never thought about going commercial and then the size thing...
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I have had an Avantco since Christmas. I am very happy with it. i have done a couple of whole top rounds for pit beef. It has done a great job.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I am looking at Avantco brand, good pricing for commercial slicer.  
    @vb4677
    I have the Avantco 10" and love it. It is perfect for me. Can carry and store it easily, it slices great, came with a sharpener, and I now can have it cleaned in 20 min, though it did take me 45 the first time. 
    It is true that you can not use it to slice full lengths of bacon, but I cut the belly in half then slice.  Once cooked, they are the perfect size to put on a sandwich. 

Very little plastic, and nothing is plastic that I wish wasn't. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2017
    Chefs Choice 610 here. Good friends gave to me as Christmas gift a couple of years ago. I use it quite often. Not difficult to clean and sanitize. Wish the gears were metal v plastic but, for my use it has been reliable and no issues.Stows away quickly when not in use. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Which avantco model?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    not sure who you were talking to @milesvdustin
     My slicer is Avantco 1/4 HP 10" 
    It is light commercial duty I would say, and it is more than good enough for me and around $300
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Sea2Ski
    Randy1 said:
    not sure who you were talking to @milesvdustin
     My slicer is Avantco 1/4 HP 10" 
    It is light commercial duty I would say, and it is more than good enough for me and around $300
    I have the same one.  Does all I need it to do .
    Large and MiniMax

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Sounds good, thanks! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Cool!  Does the Avantco 10" do well with frozen/semi-frozen meat, too?
    Read that freezing helps make for better slicing...

• Sea2Ski
    vb4677 said:
    Cool!  Does the Avantco 10" do well with frozen/semi-frozen meat, too?
    Read that freezing helps make for better slicing...

Yes.  Before slicing the bacon I put it in the freezer so you can just barely bend it with moderate force. Slices great like that.  

The real test test is softer meat like a rare roast beef. Just a little tag end and slices are even. The cheaper the silcer, the slices will be uneven and there will be a larger the tag end (though that can indicate a dull blade as well.)p
    Large and MiniMax

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I bought a commercial slicer and it has sat unused as it's freaking huge. I want a smaller "good enough" slicer.  I'm going to have to check out the Avantco
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I bought a commercial slicer and it has sat unused as it's freaking huge. I want a smaller "good enough" slicer.  I'm going to have to check out the Avantco
    Know how you feel. Have an old Hobart that fits the huge category. Last spring Bed Bath and Beyond had the 615 Chef's Choice on sale for $119CDN, with a $20 off in the mail coupon, for $99CDN I took a chance. (That's about $75US) 

Works fine, great for slicing bacon and deli meats. Easy to clean. For home use, it is ideal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I bought a monster (weighs 165#) Berkel 818 12" off of Craigslist for $300. I bought a rolling steel cart from ULine for $150 or so and it resides in the guest bedroom closet off of the kitchen. Roll it out when I need it, put it away after. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited October 2017
    CTMike said:
    I bought a monster (weighs 165#) Berkel 818 12" off of Craigslist for $300. I bought a rolling steel cart from ULine for $150 or so and it resides in the guest bedroom closet off of the kitchen. Roll it out when I need it, put it away after. 
    I suspect your wife is thrilled about it too.  =)
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    The guest bedroom closet is 12' wide, so there is plenty of space for the occasional house guest. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    20stone said:
    We got a Globe G10 as part of the ever escalating charcuterie effort.  We made the tradeoff to go a little smaller so that it could be put away. While we have a lot of counter space, 12" and up slicers are HUGE. 

However, with a 10" slicer, big slabs of belly have to be folded in half to slice.  It works fine, but detracts a bit from the "I love having a bada$$ slicer" sensation. We still made the right choice for us, but I would get a monster if you really have the room. 

Last, when considering slicers, look in the reviews on how easy (or hard) they are to clean. The Globe comes apart in seconds, and cleans very easily. You are much more likely to enjoy it if you don't dread the cleanup. 
    I “inherited” one of these from the restaurant where I work. They were throwing it away.

i was going to request  pics of yours so I could see exactly what I’m dealing with, but if you’re game — I will post pics of mine. It’s pretty rough... might make a fun conversation pics here...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!