Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Woo Woo Woooooooo Bears WON!!! :OT

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    thetrim said:
    Nice cut and paste there genius.  If the NFL prevents someone from twerking in the end zone, why isn't that protected free speech like blatantly disrespecting our Nation.  F the NFL. 
    Oh, the NFL could fire everyone now if they wanted, that would be their call. I don't think anyone is arguing that a private league should not be able do that.
    Think again. Millions of sheep would argue precisely that point. Ridiculous as it is. That is where the canard of this being protected free speech comes from. People think that because you have the right to free speech, you shall suffer no consequences. Lol. 
    Actually, I was wrong, it would be up to the team owners to fire their players, which is what Trump suggested they do. And they chose not to.
    That is one scenario.

The league would normally fine the players. If it continued, they would fine more heavily and then suspend them. Ultimately, they would comply or they would be done. Once this normal practice of the league where enforced, you would then see the owners react quite differently. Of this I am sure. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    thetrim said:
    Nice cut and paste there genius.  If the NFL prevents someone from twerking in the end zone, why isn't that protected free speech like blatantly disrespecting our Nation.  F the NFL. 
    Oh, the NFL could fire everyone now if they wanted, that would be their call. I don't think anyone is arguing that a private league should not be able do that.
    Think again. Millions of sheep would argue precisely that point. Ridiculous as it is. That is where the canard of this being protected free speech comes from. People think that because you have the right to free speech, you shall suffer no consequences. Lol. 
    Actually, I was wrong, it would be up to the team owners to fire their players, which is what Trump suggested they do. And they chose not to.
    That is one scenario.

The league would normally fine the players. If it continued, they would fine more heavily and then suspend them. Ultimately, they would comply or they would be done. Once this normal practice of the league where enforced, you would then see the owners react quite differently. Of this I am sure. 
    If the league enforced compulsory patriotism, they would surely be taken to court and they will lose handily. 

West Virginia Board of Education v Barnette 1943

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/319/624

• GATraveller
    Options
    Remember the league taking a stand last year?
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/08/12/nfl-denies-cowboys-request-to-wear-decal-honoring-fallen-dallas-officers.html

But now they choose to stay silent........SMH.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Goodell is up for a big contract extension that jerrah's been f-ing with, so he's not likely to stir the pot with owners or NFLPA...it's not an in-game or uniform issue...and Trump, I cant imagine he's going to rush to stand with Trump on this
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    thetrim said:
    That is one scenario.

If the league enforced compulsory patriotism, they would surely be taken to court and they will lose handily. 

West Virginia Board of Education v Barnette 1943

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/319/624

I doubt that. They have pretty broad power. It’s not
    a normal situation.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    Cowboy!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    What I find interesting is that since all the NFL team owners are crusty old white guys, and at least a couple were vocal Trump supporters, that one might ordinarily expect them to want to require that their players stand during the anthem.

So it is, at least to me, a little bit surprising to see them supporting the players that choose to protest during the anthem.

Of course the cynic in me says that they are not so much concerned about an individuals right to engage in peaceful protest but that they are far more concerned about avoiding the one thing that would really be harmful to the owners - a players strike.

Given that about 70% of their employees are African American it makes sense for the owners to be at least somewhat supportive of the protests.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What I find interesting is that since all the NFL team owners are crusty old white guys, and at least a couple were vocal Trump supporters, that one might ordinarily expect them to want to require that their players stand during the anthem.

So it is, at least to me, a little bit surprising to see them supporting the players that choose to protest during the anthem.

Of course the cynic in me says that they are not so much concerned about an individuals right to engage in peaceful protest but that they are far more concerned about avoiding the one thing that would really be harmful to the owners - a players strike.

Given that about 70% of their employees are African American it makes sense for the owners to be at least somewhat supportive of the protests.
    Don't be surprised.  They're business men supporting their product.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    NHL is better anyways.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Now Big Bad Ben says they will be out on the sideline this time??? WTF is going on?  I'm cornfused?  He said a flag got in the way, and kept AV out there alone...at Soldier Field?  Reaks of BS.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nfl/bs-sp-steelers-anthem-20170925-story.html

Another interesting bit to sink in, from last year.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17415010/pittsburgh-steelers-lt-alejandro-villanueva-agree-colin-kaepernick-form-protest

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    Options
    jabam said:
    We'll see how long that lasts.

I'm betting it will all blow over sooner than later.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Players are not allowed to taunt other players but it's ok to taunt patriotic Americans. Got it. No more NFL for me.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Legume
    Options
    Taunt patriotic Americans.  That's funny.  And wrong.  If you're offended, you have a right to be, but should have a good basis for that other than you don't like it.  Do you think their kneeling or sitting is because of you?

Plenty of folks sitting down stuffing popcorn in their mouths in the stands during nat'l anthem. Or leaving their hat on.  Same?  Different?  Taunting?
  • Focker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Big Bad Ben now says on his site they're 98% sure what they'll do this week.  You cannot make this stuff up.  

Wonder if that locker room focused on playing good football vs hiding in a tunnel, maybe they would have won the game on Sunday at Soldier Field?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Legume
    Options
    Focker said:
    Big Bad Ben now says on his site they're 98% sure what they'll do this week.  You cannot make this stuff up.  

Wonder if that locker room focused on playing good football vs hiding in a tunnel, maybe they would have won the game on Sunday at Soldier Field?
    @1voyager this is taunting.
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Legume said:
    Focker said:

Gee. I feel so much better now.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    Taunt patriotic Americans.  That's funny.  And wrong.  If you're offended, you have a right to be, but should have a good basis for that other than you don't like it.  Do you think their kneeling or sitting is because of you?

Plenty of folks sitting down stuffing popcorn in their mouths in the stands during nat'l anthem. Or leaving their hat on.  Same?  Different?  Taunting?
    Reminds me of this:

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Players are not allowed to taunt other players but it's ok to taunt patriotic Americans. Got it. No more NFL for me.
    Buh-bye.  Your vagina will moisten up again, eventually.
    Options
    Legume said:
    Focker said:

Can you read?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Legume
    Options
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Attack and deflect. Excellent.
  • Legume
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Attack and deflect. Excellent.
    "Wonder if that locker room focused on playing good football vs hiding in a tunnel, maybe they would have won the game on Sunday at Soldier Field?"

Read up V-jayjay.  This is @Focker taunting @DoubleEgger, an ongoing Bears fan v Steelers fan thing.

"Can you read?" Is @Focker taunting me with something @pgprescott said to me yesterday.

It all just goes back and forth.  No flag, no penalty.  No offense.  Still Americans.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Legume said:
    Focker said:

And he's stupid enough to think I'm going to take his bait. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Focker said:
    Now Big Bad Ben says they will be out on the sideline this time??? WTF is going on?  I'm cornfused?  He said a flag got in the way, and kept AV out there alone...at Soldier Field?  Reaks of BS.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nfl/bs-sp-steelers-anthem-20170925-story.html

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17415010/pittsburgh-steelers-lt-alejandro-villanueva-agree-colin-kaepernick-form-protest

So were you expecting a multiple accused rapist to be honest?
    Stillwater, MN
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You guys do realize that the kneeling this weekend was about the NFL giving Trump the middle finger and nothing to do with social issues, right?  I can't be the only one who understands this...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Focker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Focker said:

And he's stupid enough to think I'm going to take his bait. 
    Be honest with yourself.  You have no answer.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

So were you expecting a multiple accused rapist to be honest?
    Valid point.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    Options
    You guys do realize that the kneeling this weekend was about the NFL giving Trump the middle finger and nothing to do with social issues, right?  I can't be the only one who understands this...
    That's what upsets many folks also. Showing disrespect for the Clown-in-Chief also means that one HATES AMERICA (according to the OP anyway).