Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Art of the Deal (if the deal was a breakfast taco)

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    I love this post, and any post that makes my mouth water right after I have stuffed myself. 

Bacon grease fried tater tots are genius.  I am more of a hand-raised-and-grated hash browns guy, but I know how good your way tastes. 

For those of you without regular access to tacos, breakfast or otherwise, you have to give this a shot. They will change your life for the better, except for your cholesterol.

Advice for the nubes - if you buy tortillas, flour are easier to handle. Heat em up in a dry, but shiney w oil CI. Microwaves are a tool of the devil, and only suitable for softening ice cream. 
    Another tool of the devil that comes in handy is... The toaster oven.

Advantage is that you can heat up 2- 3 at a time . Pop 'em in until they just start to puff up (corn tortillas won't puff up as much). Remove and place in a tortilla box or wrap in a kitchen towel. If they don't puff, then you don't have the right tortillas. 

And +1 for the mixed corn+flour tortillas from HEB. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a big fan of the breakfast burrito and the taco. A fresh made tortilla in in SC is impossible to come by. Big case of jealousy from this camp.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I am a big fan of the breakfast burrito and the taco. A fresh made tortilla in in SC is impossible to come by. Big case of jealousy from this camp.
    Time to build some skills. Corn tortillas have two ingredients (if you start w masa harina, like a dirty cheater), and flour has three. 

We are talking breafast tacos, here.  It's time to step up
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    20stone said:
    Time to build some skills. Corn tortillas have two ingredients (if you start w masa harina, like a dirty cheater), and flour has three. 

I'm game....what does one use at home to flatten them out? Make on the flat griddle? Where is Spring and his movies for the visual technique? Help a brother out.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:

I'm game....what does one use at home to flatten them out? Make on the flat griddle? Where is Spring and his movies for the visual technique? Help a brother out.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    $20^^^^^^^^^^^
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would still buy the uncooked tortillas that are mentioned above. I don't press my own. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And neither does the guy trying to get you to press your own :). I've been to the store with him to buy tortillas more than once. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    And neither does the guy trying to get you to press your own :). I've been to the store with him to buy tortillas more than once. 
    That was before.  I have new toys now.  I also have HEB pretty close by. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    @northGAcock Homemade corn are super easy and good.  When you order a press, get a heavy metal one, not aluminum.  Heavy is your friend here.  And get the 8"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Yes yes yes!!

We do the same often, but a few small differences.  Fry some bacon, then I cube up some potatoes and fry em in the bacon fat.  I usually don't cut up the bacon and everyone in the house prefers fried eggs (over medium and over easy).  We kind smash the egg and yolk with a fork in the tortilla.  I just use a strip of bacon and the girls tear it.  Lol

For the tortillas, I usually use Tortilla Land refrigerated raw or HEB flour/corn tortillas.

Damn you, now I want tacos!
    This is what we do. They are the breakfast of champions. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    20stone said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    If you like chorizo, use it in a BT. You will not be sorry. Chorizo and eggs are magic together. 
    Absofrigginlutely. By itself, the grease from chorizo sneaks out of the back of the taco, and runs up your arm, bombing every piece of fabric with red wonderfulness in its way. 

When scrambled with eggs, all that grease just "disappears".
    Just like a true slice of NY pizza!  
    Although I love the taste, I quit trying to cook with chorizo (Mexican) because of the grease, have not tried scrambling eggs WITH them; project for next weekend!  
    Note that Mexican, and Portuguese, chorizos are almost two different things.  Portuguese is more like a solid sausage, and only because of the base's Commissary do I have access to it.  Mexican chorizo is delicious, but falls apart completely in a flood of red grease when cooked.  And if you like it, nevernevernevernevernevernevernevernever read the ingredients list on the package.  Seriousry, Never!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    northGAcock said:  
    I'm game....what does one use at home to flatten them out? Make on the flat griddle? Help a brother out.
    The ladies on America's Test Kitchen showed a pretty neat trick a couple months ago.  They took a large "sandwich" bag, cut off the top seal and sliced one side, leaving two plastic sheets sealed on two adjacent sides.
    Placed a ball of kneaded masa in between the sheets in the center, then pressed down on it with a glass pie plate.  Brilliant!  Because both the bag and the plate were transparent, you could easily see not just the size of the resulting tortilla, but could even see the thickness/evenness.  I don't know if this would work equally well with a flour tortilla, they just used corn.  
    That being said, if I fixed tacos/tortillas on a regular basis I'd get one of the metal presses too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    @Botch I use the plastic bag trick with the press.

also, I've never had Mexican chorizo not mixed into eggs.  Cook it down, then add your scrambled egg mixture and you have a colorful swirly delicious mess.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Flour tortillas are traditionally rolled.  Guess you could start on the press, but you will have to roll them out before throwing on the flame or comal.  The gluten is at play.

Corn tortillas are pressed.  Huge fan of Bob's Red Mill masa harina.

I love bacon with all my heart, but the first taste of authentic chorizo and eggs by my buddy Tino, was a special food moment in my life.  The grease is the best part.  I can't recall my first bacon kiss, but I'm sure it was special too.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."