Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Art of the Deal (if the deal was a breakfast taco)

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
if there is any food more ubiquitous than BBQ in this part of the world,it would have to be the breakfast taco. You can get them in almost any gas station (some make them fresh to order for you, others have them pre-made in a warmer). There are tons of food trailers that do them and every restaurant that does breakfast has some form of the humble BT on the menu. We probably make them at home 2-3 times a week and every weekend for sure. Figured I would share how we do it for those who don't think it's weird to eat tacos for breakfast:

there are so many variations but when we make them at home, we usuallly go with Bacon, Egg, Potato, and Cheese. This is pretty standard but you can make them with anything. It's not uncommon to find sausage, fajita meat, refried beans, avocado, veggies, chorizo, and just about anything else you can think of. All are fantastic in my book. 

The cook: 

start with bacon (cuz, bacon). Starting with bacon is critical as you will see in step 2. You can't cook potatoes in bacon fat if you don't have any bacon fat to cook them in) 

The the potato- you can do any style here. Hash browns, cut up fries, chunks, whatever you want. We use Ore-Ida Tots smashed in to hash browns (this is magic).  Nuke until soft then smash and cook in the bacon fat. 

Once the tots are browned up, add the bacon back in then add scrambled eggs and cheese if you are into that. Gently Mix together until cheese is melted. 

We do flour tortillas for the most part but you can do corn or whatever you like. We are very lucky that our HEB makes fresh tortillas all day every day and we can pick them up warm. I despise store bought tortillas but they are common here at the places who make commodity tacos. Sometimes you gotta take one for the cause. Even some gas stations make tortillas fresh to order around here. That makes me happy. 

Money shot- topped with homemade salsa. Yum

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Nice post! Looks delicious 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Looks great, my kind of portions.
    This is probably the only application, at mi casa, where bacon takes a backseat to supermercado chorizo.
    Chorizo, ernyin, egg, tater, and cheese are breakfast magic.  Flour tortilla, a must.  El Popocatepetl tortillas in the supermercado, are a solid option.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Chorizo is killer in BT's. Good call on the super Mercado tortillas. Im sure they have better options than most grocery stores. 

Speaking of portions- this was 8 slices of bacon, 25-30 tots, 6 eggs, and Roughly 3oz of cheese. We got 4 fat tacos out of that. 

If making for myself, I use 2 slices of bacon, 4-5 tots, 2 eggs and an ounce of cheese

you can scale up from there. 
  • pgprescott
    Chorizo is killer in BT's. Good call on the super Mercado tortillas. Im sure they have better options than most grocery stores. 

Speaking of portions- this was 8 slices of bacon, 25-30 tots, 6 eggs, and Roughly 3oz of cheese. We got 4 fat tacos out of that. 

If making for myself, I use 2 slices of bacon, 4-5 tots, 2 eggs and an ounce of cheese

Are you saying I shouldn’t eat 4 of them????
  • Chorizo is killer in BT's. Good call on the super Mercado tortillas. Im sure they have better options than most grocery stores. 

Are you saying I shouldn’t eat 4 of them????
    Nope. We don't judge. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Preach!! The world needs to know the wonders of the breakfast taco.

Had leftover lengua and cabeza BT's yesterday. So damn good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I love breakfast tacos!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I love breakfast.
    I love tacos
    I love breakfast tacos. 
    Well done. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Make tacos great again.  I'm stealing that tot trick.

you have to be careful ordering a brisket taco around here, some places just give you a slab of brisket in a tortilla.  Good if the brisket is good, but not really a taco and def not a breakfast taco.

we're partial to gooey queso migas tacos around here for breakfast.  so many ways...
  • Legume said:

you have to be careful ordering a brisket taco around here, some places just give you a slab of brisket in a tortilla.  Good if the brisket is good, but not really a taco and def not a breakfast taco.

we're partial to gooey queso migas tacos around here for breakfast.  so many ways...
    I get Migas tacos when ordering out all the time. Flores has a Migas and Fajita plate. Order a side of tortillas and you got yourself a few kickass tacos. 

• Legume said:

Real. Deal.Holyfield. That is all

• pgprescott

Legume said:

Giddy up right there !!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2017

Legume said:

That is from Valentina's bbq trailer. They are serious about thier tacos too. Homemade tortillas, retired beans, 2 fried eggs, bacon, brisket and homemade salsa. Comes with a free nap. 
  • That looks fantastic. Would love to find fresh tortillas up here because it makes a world of difference.
    Stillwater, MN
  • That looks fantastic. Would love to find fresh tortillas up here because it makes a world of difference.
    These are actually really good. You can order from HEB.com but I'm sure Amazon has them as well. They are premade but uncooked tortillas. Throw them in a hot skillet and you have fresh tortillas in under a minute. This is what we used to do before we could drive 2 min and get fresh. We also have a Mexican place in our neighborhood (my youngest son works there now) that makes fresh to order. We can get a dozen from them for like $3. We always grab some to go when we eat there. 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/exquisita-ready-to-cook-flour-tortillas/32815

• Legume
    Costco has the premade, uncooked ones in their refrigerated section, we used to get them in SDiego and can get them here in Austin, maybe available other places?
  • Legume said:
    Costco has the premade, uncooked ones in their refrigerated section, we used to get them in SDiego and can get them here in Austin, maybe available other places?
    Nice!
  • pgprescott

Legume said:

That is from Valentina's bbq trailer. They are serious about thier tacos too. Homemade tortillas, retired beans, 2 fried eggs, bacon, brisket and homemade salsa. Comes with a free nap. 
    I have to get to this place. I have seen dozens of posts from that trailer and every one of them has been incredible. You guys are quite fortunate to have such great options. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I've never made a breakfast taco (I know, shame, shame!...).  I've only seen prefab packaged tortillas in my stores.  Do you heat up the tortilla first?  And if so, how?  Dry skillet?  Something else?

All of that looked yummy!  The chorizo variation sounds great, too!
  • Legume

Legume said:

Exactly.  The slab of brisket-only is strange when I've run across it. Clear sign to not return.  Should just call it a brisket wrap.  Torchys has some good bfast tacos too.
  • Theophan said:
    I've never made a breakfast taco (I know, shame, shame!...).  I've only seen prefab packaged tortillas in my stores.  Do you heat up the tortilla first?  And if so, how?  Dry skillet?  Something else?

All of that looked yummy!  The chorizo variation sounds great, too!
    We do warm them in a hot skillet for maybe 20-30 seconds a side. 

If you like chorizo, use it in a BT. You will not be sorry. Chorizo and eggs are magic together. 

• Legume said:

Legume said:

Exactly.  The slab of brisket-only is strange when I've run across it. Clear sign to not return.  Should just call it a brisket wrap.  Torchys has some good bfast tacos too.
    I'm right there with you. That is just an odd combo to me.

I have a Torchy's 3 min from the house. We eat there every week. Ranch Hand is my favorite BT. Beef fajita, egg and cheese (get it "trashy"with queso)
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I love this post, and any post that makes my mouth water right after I have stuffed myself. 

Bacon grease fried tater tots are genius.  I am more of a hand-raised-and-grated hash browns guy, but I know how good your way tastes. 

For those of you without regular access to tacos, breakfast or otherwise, you have to give this a shot. They will change your life for the better, except for your cholesterol.

Advice for the nubes - if you buy tortillas, flour are easier to handle. Heat em up in a dry, but shiney w oil CI. Microwaves are a tool of the devil, and only suitable for softening ice cream. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    We do warm them in a hot skillet for maybe 20-30 seconds a side. 

If you like chorizo, use it in a BT. You will not be sorry. Chorizo and eggs are magic together. 
    20stone said:
    ... if you buy tortillas, flour are easier to handle. Heat em up in a dry, but shiney w oil CI. Microwaves are a tool of the devil, and only suitable for softening ice cream. 
    Thanks!  I'm going to give these a try one of these days...
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Absofrigginlutely. By itself, the grease from chorizo sneaks out of the back of the taco, and runs up your arm, bombing every piece of fabric with red wonderfulness in its way. 

When scrambled with eggs, all that grease just "disappears".
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Be warned, chorizo grease penetrates and stains anything and everything.  There must be an industrial application for it.  Another vote for how great it is though.

I like to warm tortillas on the gas stove, no pan, just gas on and flip several times in the flame to heat and get a bit of char.  Charred tortillas are comforting.
  • Legume said:
    Be warned, chorizo grease penetrates and stains anything and everything.  There must be an industrial application for it.  Another vote for how great it is though.

I like to warm tortillas on the gas stove, no pan, just gas on and flip several times in the flame to heat and get a bit of char.  Charred tortillas are comforting.
    This is good. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Damn. My lazy ass just went to Rudy's this morning for my BT fix.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yes yes yes!!

We do the same often, but a few small differences.  Fry some bacon, then I cube up some potatoes and fry em in the bacon fat.  I usually don't cut up the bacon and everyone in the house prefers fried eggs (over medium and over easy).  We kind smash the egg and yolk with a fork in the tortilla.  I just use a strip of bacon and the girls tear it.  Lol

For the tortillas, I usually use Tortilla Land refrigerated raw or HEB flour/corn tortillas.

Damn you, now I want tacos!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Caz- i love the 50/50 flour corn HEB tortillas. @20stone turned me on to those a couple of years ago.