Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can cook ribs with one arm tied up...

feeling pretty good after the surgery so figured I would get up and about a little. Wanted to do some ribs for the Texas/USC game tonight and was determined to do it all myself and my one good arm. I did have TFJ open the cryo for me but I was able to do everything else with one arm. I didn't pull the membranes on these as that seems to very much be a 2-handed job. I was able to add some lump, light a fire, set up my AR and add the ribs all with one good wing. Not too shabby!  Very happy to be able to get somewhat back to normal functionality so quickly. Still can't lift anything significant for 2 months but not in a lot of pain and can actually do some basic stuff already. 

Meat Church Honey Hog rub, oak and cherry smoke. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Haven't done a low and slow in a bge in a long time. Sure glad i had that option today. I think the dishwasher would have been a tall order with one arm. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looking good. Great job staying in the game 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I was gonna ask about the dishwasher as I'm guessing the fire feeding is a protracted process.  Those are some meaty ribs-nice score.
    You must have a strong single arm (no details needed ;) ) to get the AR into place.  
    Since I'm here- is it your dominant wing or the off-wing that had the surgery?  There are many routine daily events that are quite a challenge if the dominant arm is out-of-commision.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    I was gonna ask about the dishwasher as I'm guessing the fire feeding is a protracted process.  Those are some meaty ribs-nice score.
    You must have a strong single arm (no details needed ;) ) to get the AR into place.  
    Since I'm here- is it your dominant wing or the off-wing that had the surgery?  There are many routine daily events that are quite a challenge if the dominant arm is out-of-commision.  
    Hurt my non-dominant arm. Much better than the alternative. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Those bad boys look nice and thick. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Glad the recovery is going well- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • texaswig said:
    They were nice. HEB all natural pork is usually pretty good. Not super cheap at $4.99 lb but not terrible for St. Lou's. spares were the same price so i figured i would get these to avoid having to trim. These went out of the cryo on to the egg. 
  • texaswig
    I feel jipped. Im a Texan why can't I have a heb? So sad.  I may have to get counseling. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig said:
    I feel jipped. Im a Texan why can't I have a heb? So sad.  I may have to get counseling. 
    I know- you nortenos up there got screwed on the grocery store scene
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Glad you're through the surgery, up and about and even egging! Be kind to your arm - no pushing it until doc and physical therapists give the go ahead, please. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • bjeans said:
    Glad you're through the surgery, up and about and even egging! Be kind to your arm - no pushing it until doc and physical therapists give the go ahead, please. 
    I'm following orders directly. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    texaswig said:
    You've got the room for one.  Call 'em.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2017
    Did everything but the slicing. Turned out good. Have not done low and slow on a bge in a year or so. Crazy how different the smoke profile is with a bge vs the dishwasher. Much heavier, I would go as far as to say a little dirtier from the bge. Still really good but I could really tell the difference in the kbq burning clean wood smoke vs the smoldering chunks in my bge. All in, it was a great day. Very happy I was able to function and still protect my arm. Now...if my beloved longhorns can pull of a miracle tonight in LA that will cap off a great day. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Awesome looking ribs bro!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• texaswig
    Looks like a good cook to me. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Those are some fantastic looking ribs. That's my favorite BBQ bite.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited September 2017
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Crazy how different the smoke profile is with a bge vs the dishwasher. Much heavier, I would go as far as to say a little dirtier from the bge.
    Great cook right there.  Heavier as in a more smoke profile from the BGE...and I get the dirtier reference.  Regardless, the one-wing apparatus still has a place in your arsenal.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • texaswig said:

Unlike rrp? 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2017
    Your 1wing ribs look better than my last couple of efforts. And damn those are some meaty slabs!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Your 1wing ribs look better than my last couple of efforts. And damn those are some meaty slabs!
    They were very meaty on one end. More normal on the other.