Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The annual high heat low-temp habanero smoke down

Options
Gifted a good quantity of habaneros to dry into powder form.
Started this adventure yesterday afternoon with the stem removal and then split the habaneros.

Given the quantity and my LBGE it took some creative stacking to get 'em ready for the smoke.

Started the 180-200*F process around 5:30 PM Sat night.  When you don't care about manual temperature control the friggin thing just runs along.  Had to add more small lump this AM after temp dropped to around 140*F over-night.
Finally dehydrated enough to get to one level.

Declared victory just short of 24 hours.  Now to grind 'em up.  (Gloves for sure.)

Another one in the books.  'Til next year.
Thanks for lookin'.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine job brother Cap :clap:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Excellent job.
  • SGH
    Options
    At first glance, I thought that last shot might be a grate full of anus  =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @SGH - too hot for anus  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Cap, every time you post this I ask myself why am I not doing this.  Eggceptional cook brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent - I only post it once a year in the Fall.  Just set it up as an annual one-off on your phone.  The results are definitely worth it.  
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Looking good Lou. I bet that power can be dangerous if it comes in contact with the wrong area. 
    Snellville, GA

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I do the same thing, worth it all the way! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. I'm not sure I'd have use for something that hot. I assume you could do the same with jalapenos?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SciAggie - Absolutely correct.  I dry peppers for a few other friends as well but they are not in the high-heat spectrum.  The pro's and con's of the BGE are definitely at play-sustained low temp cook w/o refueling but the moisture retention characteristics that mean you need the protracted cook/dry time.  I definitely enjoy the run-time over the result.  
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap I'm thinking about spreading out peppers on a cookie sheet and catching the tail end of an oven cycle from my wfo. That thing holds low temps for a looooonnnggg time. I could use my A-maze-n smoker and pellets for smoke flavor. I think I need to try this...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Sciaggie -  You definitely need to give this a go.  Your wfo and accessories will definitely produce some great outcomes.  I run til they look dry and ready to get powdered, as above.  You will not be disappointed.  Enjoy the adventure.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap What about smoke? Heavy? Light? What wood do you prefer? I am looking up how to make adobo sauce. I could make chipotles in adobo and can them. This forum is a never ending journey down the rabbit hole. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @SciAggie I use 3-4 chunks of pecan (suggested for drying jalas down to chipotle powder) and that is light by my perception.  However, you have to factor the required BGE run-time to get to the finish-line.  I'm quite confident that your wfo set-up will get the job done much quicker.  So if you go with a heavier wood smoke profile I'm sure you will be fine.
    But with the first go-round, I wouldn't go too heavy on the smoke as you can dial it up for the next round and you can't extract it.  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice dry down Cap!   Just remember to use gloves and don't touch any important parts while grinding the peppers to dust.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap Thank you. When I get the chance to try this I'll report back. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH - too hot for anus  ;)
    It's never to hot for anus brother Cap  =)

Status- Standing by.

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Looking good. Have my second harvest ready to go for this weekend, can’t wait for the chili
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks for the inspiration...bought stand alone smoker just to smoke sausage bacon etc, without firing up an Egg or Stick Burner..thought I'd do peppers...225 for 3 hours then in the Dehydrator overnight

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Have fun-gloves for the handling and depending on SWMBO's tolerance; outdoors for the post-smoke grind.  Whatever you use to finish the process needs to be sterilized before the next use or the residue will remind you of the event.  ;)
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Question @lousubcap , do you ever make chili powder, or just grind it as powdered chili ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Wish I had enough knowledge to know the difference between the two in your question.  Since I am wrestling with some very hot peppers ( did a load of ghost peppers weekend before last) I do a fine grind but don't worry if there are seeds that make it thru.  My end-game is to get the pepper grind to where I can use it in a mangeable way to control the heat of any cook.   
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Question @lousubcap , do you ever make chili powder, or just grind it as powdered chili ?
    We have crushed ours in the past after drying and put them in a shaker and used like a six pepper.

now the wife seeds all the peppers, puts them in the ninja to make a paste and then puts them in quart bags about 1/2" thick in the freezer. She can take them out, break off what she wants and put the rest back and it's just like fresh peppers.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Thanks @Woodchunk @lousubcap powdered chili is just that , ground chili's , chili powder has chili, paprika garlic powder oregano etc....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @lkapigian - roger all.  BTW- congrats on 2K posts on a great and hot topic.  
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I just did an entire walmart sack full of jalapeños. Cut the stem off and slice them in half lengthwise. Did two full runs with the amazen smoker, about 24 hours total smoke time. Then i threw them in my dehydrator until crispy. I need to do this more often. They were dark dark brown upon completion. Waiting on my dad to do his so we can put on the respirator and grind both batches at once. 

Pro Tip: run the dehydrator in the garage or your wife will get super pissed off when the whole house smells like a bbq pit. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)