Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Equifax- PSA

Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
if you have been in a hole, or monopolized dealing with hurricane issues, and haven't seen the news, Equifax had a huge data breach. Probably a good time for everyone to consider a credit freeze. While it's a little bit of a pain, it's much better than dealing with identity theft. Keep in mind this only covers new accounts- existing accounts would be potentially vulnerable. 

Hate a thief...

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-data-breach-what-do

Greensboro, NC

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I'm considering a credit freeze.  I've read the info at the link you provided, and it makes it sound as simple as placing a phone call to each of the three agencies.  Your comment about it being a bit of pain makes me think it isn't so simple.  Was it basically just some phone calls or is it more intensive than that?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Hub said:
    I'm considering a credit freeze.  I've read the info at the link you provided, and it makes it sound as simple as placing a phone call to each of the three agencies.  Your comment about it being a bit of pain makes me think it isn't so simple.  Was it basically just some phone calls or is it more intensive than that?
    I've had mine frozen for at least 12 years and there is no pain...but there "could be" some if you plan to start borrowing again including opening new credit card accounts. But even that just means some hoops you'll have to jump through when that time comes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hub
    RRP said:
    Hub said:
    I've had mine frozen for at least 12 years and there is no pain...but there "could be" some if you plan to start borrowing again including opening new credit card accounts. But even that just means some hoops you'll have to jump through when that time comes.
    I don't plan to borrow ever again, so I think I'm going to give this freeze thing a shot.
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited September 2017
    It seems like all you have to do to 'thaw' your accounts is enter the PIN they give you, I see no real downside to freezing.  I froze all of my accounts yesterday and it took all of 15 minutes for all 3 agencies and $10 (two cost $5, one was free).  Now to get wifey to follow suit....

Here's a link with the phone numbers you need to freeze your accounts:
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

I'll also be getting my free annual credit report to make sure there wasn't already anything wacky going on.  

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Hub
    I just did the freeze with all four agencies.  It was fairly easy.  The fee seems to be based on the state in which you live.  Three of the agencies charged me three dollars, and one was free.  The only pain was coming up with pin numbers for each agency.  They all have different requirements, so you end up with four different pin numbers.  All in all, it was pretty easy.
  • RRP said:
    Hub said:
    When reading this post, I hear @SGH saying "if I had Ron's money, I wouldn't need credit".
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I froze 3/4 easily the other day.  Was in the middle of buying a car so had to wait for the bank to pull my credit, but the freezing was relatively easy.  The fourth had identity questions related to info in my report - I must've gotten one wrong as it wouldn't freeze for me and now I have to mail in a bunch of crap.  I'm going to call them Monday and see if I can get a redo.
  • Wolfpack
    I did both of ours today as well- took 20 minutes. 

A little piece of mind if nothing else. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    No offense to ANYONE...OK? But I really have to wonder what good it might do now after the breach happened 4 months ago...BUT like @HeavyG said as well, if the hackers got in to the files back then, then who knows which files they got in to! I'm NOT being smug that I locked down 12 years ago as I still feel venerable. 
  • Wolfpack
    edited September 2017
    As I understand- It stops future accounts from being opened. So if you check current credit report and know new ones can't be opened it should provide some level of comfort. 

However, anything currently open could be at risk. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Maybe I'm wrong, but even if someone has my info, wouldn't opening a cc account or something else still require a credit check - and this is what a freeze blocks?
  • Legume said:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but even if someone has my info, wouldn't opening a cc account or something else still require a credit check - and this is what a freeze blocks?
    Yes, that is how I understand it. No offense to anyone.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• 4 agencies?!?! What's this 4th one?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Wolfpack said:
    As I understand- It stops future accounts from being opened. So if you check current credit report and know new ones can't be opened it should provide some level of comfort. 

However, anything currently open could be at risk. 
    That's correct.   

A lot of damage can be done if someone has your PII and is willing to use it maliciously.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • If I freeze my credit does it affect my credit card purchasing power if I travel abroad? 
    McKinney, TX
  • Wolfpack
    No effects on open lines of credit- just stops new ones from being opened. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    If I like my credit card, do I get to keep my credit card?
  • Legume
    4 agencies?!?! What's this 4th one?
    Innovis.  Mentioned in that article John posted.  I hadn't heard of them until I read that article. 
  • RRP
    edited September 2017
    Legume said:
    Well...the first thing that came to my mind was the filing of fraudulent tax returns claiming for refunds since the perps have the info necessary. In case you've never read that is a high volume, lower dollar scam that the IRS can't seem to get a handle on! 

Secondly, for people who may not be real savvy could fall for this scam like I received this morning! Iffin I had not rec'd several variations of it many times in the past then maybe I would have been concerned...but guess what...I don't have and never have had a Bank of America account! But millions of people do and all the scammers need are a few hundred people to fall for it and call "them"!!!

Oh, the phony Bank of America email alert?

Account Notification

Dear Client,

This alert Relates to your safety , We have noticed that some data from Your account information seems unverified. .

You have to check your information in order to continue using our Service smoothly, Click on the button To check your account information

GET Started

Once you've completed this process you will be able to have full access to our online service.

Thanks, 
    Technical support.

• RRP
    Then following that IRS problem there will probably be new variations on that wide spread telephone scam of a "call from the IRS" saying they are getting ready to sue you - or send the sheriff out to arrest you - or some other alarming twist - to get people to call back at this number - back blah blah blah
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    good luck to any one that wants my identity =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it