Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not My Mom's Meatloaf

Options
I loved my Mom's meatloaf as a kid, but there is nothing quite as good as meatloaf on the Egg  

Start... 

Finish! 

Thoughts are with all of you in Florida and the Caribbean, and in the path of this horrible storm, stay safe!

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    That looks fanfriggintastic!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Looks great. Love meatloaf on the egg. 
    Snellville, GA

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That might be the prettiest meatloaf I've ever seen!  Bet it tasted great, too!
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Meatloaf on the egg is one of my favorite cooks. Yours looks great.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Looking delicious. What surface are you cooking it on?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Looking delicious. What surface are you cooking it on?
    Thanks! They are silicone grilling mats that the BBQ Guru company used to sell, haven't seen them for a while. They work great. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Looks delicious! I have my own recipe that I call...Not Your Morhers Meatloaf. For my beloved and I we feel it REALLY knocks our socks off! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Very nice, and nice pics.  That's regular rotation in this house.  
    Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    that looks great
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks delicious! I have my own recipe that I call...Not Your Morhers Meatloaf. For my beloved and I we feel it REALLY knocks our socks off! 
    Does this pair well with Not your Father's Root Beer?  Please post recipe.

Edit:  I did a search for Morhers and Mothers Meatloaf and came up empty.

OP, please post your recipe as well!  Looks great!  I may have to put jalapenos in mine to keep the kids away.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    RRP said:

Not Your Mother’s Meatloaf

The original recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004 though I have made several modifications to it over the years to our satisfaction. The most recent is the addition of anchovies! Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL

Ingredients:

1 pound 80/20 ground chuck

½ pound ground pork

4 strips of bacon

4 anchovies

1 T oil from the anchovies tin

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped green pepper

½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style

1 T Worcestershire

4 cloves diced garlic

1 raw egg

1 tea ground black pepper

½ tea kosher salt

½ tea Tabasco

¼ tea ground cumin

¼ cup beef stock

In large skillet slow fry 4 strips of bacon to semi-cooked, but still limp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add 1 T of the oil to the bacon grease and add anchovies, onion, green pepper and sauté all the while stirring and mashing the anchovies into a paste and thoroughly mixing.  As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened.

Meanwhile slice and dice the bacon strips into small pieces. Don’t worry if they are undercooked to your liking as they will finish cooking inside the meatloaf. Besides if the bacon is crisp to start with they will become hardened, unpleasant surprise nuggets inside the loaf!

Pour the skillet contents into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing repeatedly through your fingers. (HINT: wear disposable plastic gloves!) Then form your loaf. Trust me - with the bread crumbs and egg binder this will be a solid loaf when thoroughly mixed! Place the loaf on top of waxed paper which is sitting on a cutting board. That way you will be able to coat the ends, sides and one top with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. You can then flip the loaf and coat the final side.

I use a wire meatloaf basket, which allows smoke to reach it on all sides, but you may want to use a small oven proof flat pan or even a “pizza pan” which has holes.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chunks as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!

Revised…again…7-16-17

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    ... I did a search for Morhers and Mothers Meatloaf and came up empty.
    It's a popular title for meatloaf, apparently, because on this forum, there are at least 3 different recipes that use a variation on that title:
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    RRP said:
    kl8ton said:
    RRP said:

Not Your Mother’s Meatloaf

The original recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004 though I have made several modifications to it over the years to our satisfaction. The most recent is the addition of anchovies! Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL

Ingredients:

1 pound 80/20 ground chuck

½ pound ground pork

4 strips of bacon

4 anchovies

1 T oil from the anchovies tin

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped green pepper

½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style

1 T Worcestershire

4 cloves diced garlic

1 raw egg

1 tea ground black pepper

½ tea kosher salt

½ tea Tabasco

¼ tea ground cumin

¼ cup beef stock

In large skillet slow fry 4 strips of bacon to semi-cooked, but still limp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add 1 T of the oil to the bacon grease and add anchovies, onion, green pepper and sauté all the while stirring and mashing the anchovies into a paste and thoroughly mixing.  As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened.

Meanwhile slice and dice the bacon strips into small pieces. Don’t worry if they are undercooked to your liking as they will finish cooking inside the meatloaf. Besides if the bacon is crisp to start with they will become hardened, unpleasant surprise nuggets inside the loaf!

Pour the skillet contents into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing repeatedly through your fingers. (HINT: wear disposable plastic gloves!) Then form your loaf. Trust me - with the bread crumbs and egg binder this will be a solid loaf when thoroughly mixed! Place the loaf on top of waxed paper which is sitting on a cutting board. That way you will be able to coat the ends, sides and one top with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. You can then flip the loaf and coat the final side.

I use a wire meatloaf basket, which allows smoke to reach it on all sides, but you may want to use a small oven proof flat pan or even a “pizza pan” which has holes.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chunks as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!

Revised…again…7-16-17

Thanks Ron.  I hope to give this a try soon.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI