Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig from CGS....

Thinking hard about a AR from the Ceramic Grill Store, but I'm anted to hear some opinions on people who have one, or used an alternative to get food up in the done. There are times when I have a few people over and need the extra room for say like ribs, or cooking things along with a butt. I have the woo which I freaking love, just thought I would get some opinions on the adjustable Rig. I have a XL BGE. Thanks everyone

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited September 2017
    I've got one for the XL and I really don't use it that much. I likely wouldn't buy it again. For your money, I'd just go buy a smaller grid and some bolts or maybe that new Smokeware swing rack thingy. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    I have an Adjustable Rig for my large as well as an homemade one with a smaller grid and bolts. I use my AR more than my homemade one, I just like it better.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited September 2017
    I have the Adjustable Rig but never use it. I prefer the Ceramic Grillstore PSWOO. Fewer greasy parts to handle and I like the simplicity. I use it all the time. I don't think they make PSWOO for an XL though.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • This is why i like my AR, with a small pizza stone on top of the spider I can do 4 pork butts
  • I love my AR and use it frequently on my XL.  I also have the Woo which stays in for most cooks.  Loads of flexibility for cooks both large and small.  I have a big family so cooks are usually big.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have the AR R&B Combo. It stays in the egg, always. Do yourself a favor and buy the spider and stone while you are at it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I love mine. I use it alot.
    https://youtu.be/9XYp64WJAHs

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DoubleEgger
    Photo Egg said:
    I know that we all love our CGS Rigs and Woos. But when you comment on this post, please keep in mind the XL Rig and the Large Rig are VERY different. It would better help @Chase2016 if comments were from members who have used the XL Rig.
    Totally agree 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I have the AR for my xl and use it all the time.  Raised direct.  More real estate for ribs, loads of wings, etc. put my pizza stone on the top for pizza to get it high in the dome.  Main reason I bought it was for the extra space especially on rib cooks.  Can cook 9 racks laying flat.  But it is pretty darn versatile and there are very few cooks that I don't use it on.
    XL BGE
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get similar benefits of an AR. With that being said I have an AR for my xlbge and I do like it. If money isn't too much of a factor then buy the AR. If you don't want to spend as much then do as @DoubleEgger suggested.

XL BGE
    MD
  • DoubleEgger
    edited September 2017
    You'll have half the price of a mini max in a AR setup or you could buy a Blackstone. Just sayin' 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You'll have half the price of a mini max in a AR setup or you could buy a Blackstone. Just sayin' 
    It's only money...
    That said, I'm still using a homemade rig for my XL. I do have the CGS Woo for my small egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I love my Woo for my Large and MM and will buy another one from CGS for my second Large. 

No comparison. 

But for a XL I would probably consider that swing out rack that @DoubleEgger suggested. 

When cooking for the masses that would be extremely convenient. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited September 2017
    I think the Adjustable Rig or the swing out would be good choices for the XL. You definitely want some type of elevated cooking area.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I've got one for the XL and I really don't use it that much. I likely wouldn't buy it again. For your money, I'd just go buy a smaller grid and some bolts or maybe that new Smokeware swing rack thingy. 
    Maybe you just need more friends to cook for... =)

I have a large Egg and use it all the time.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    I see where you're coming from, but it's not about that at all. Some people don't have the extra real-estate for more cookers and the others simply don't want the extra clutter all over their patio. A week after I got my BGE I got rid of my Weber Performer and 30" Masterbuilt and haven't missed them since.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    CanDid said:  Some people don't have the extra real-estate for more cookers and the others simply don't want the extra clutter all over their patio. A week after I got my BGE I got rid of my Weber Performer and 30" Masterbuilt and haven't missed them since. 

I mean no disrespect, but your comment simply doesn't compute in my brain.  

I'd get rid of patio furniture if more space was needed for cookers.  And to call cookers clutter ... now that's just crazy talk.  

Phoenix 
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Mine has not come out of the egg since I got it.  Got the R&B combo, extender, stones, etc..  I already had a spider and the smaller CI grate for reverse sear.  I gave my PSWoo to my neighbor (he didn't have a way to do raised direct) and my platesetter is in storage.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    pflug said:
    Mine has not come out of the egg since I got it.  Got the R&B combo, extender, stones, etc..  I already had a spider and the smaller CI grate for reverse sear.  I gave my PSWoo to my neighbor (he didn't have a way to do raised direct) and my platesetter is in storage.
    Do you have any experience using the XL adjustable rig in the XL BGE?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited September 2017
    Mine lives in my XL along with the Woo2 which is holding my plate setter and keeping it from breaking in half. I have cooked 6 pork butts at one time and think I could fit 8 if I arranged carefully. Four on the lower rack an two on the top. That is a LOT of meat if you need to feed a large crew. If you try this though make sure you have a large enough drip pan to catch all the renderings as grease fires stink up the finished product in event of an overflow. There is a pick of the loaded XL here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184926/45-lb-of-butt#latest
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Get one and youll never be without it. Expands capacity and creativity in ways that make you look like a bbq rock star
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2017
    I have one for my XL use it a lot. I like it some much I bought one for my large and use it too. As a matter of fact will be taking the large one to the Little Rock Eggfest this weekend. 

Done over Labor Day week end 2 9# butts on top 6 racks of ribs.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2017
    blasting said:
    CanDid said:  Some people don't have the extra real-estate for more cookers and the others simply don't want the extra clutter all over their patio. A week after I got my BGE I got rid of my Weber Performer and 30" Masterbuilt and haven't missed them since. 

I mean no disrespect, but your comment simply doesn't compute in my brain.  

I'd get rid of patio furniture if more space was needed for cookers.  And to call cookers clutter ... now that's just crazy talk.  

I'd get a new (bigger)  patio. That's what I did :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I have the XL AR rig and I agree with @Photo Egg in that it's very different than the L AR Rig.   One thing I'm not particularly fond of it that the top ring that holds the top grid goes 360 degrees around the top, versus on the large rig there's an opening in the front middle section.

In doing just 2 level cooks, if I don't want to put meat on the very bottom and very top grids, accessing the middle levels is a bit of a pain due to the top ring going around 360 degrees.

I've debated taking an angle grinder and cutting the front of the top ring so that it is more like the Large AR, but don't know if I'll hurt it structurally.  It's still great for ribs and things like that, but for butts and larger proteins the top ring gets in the way. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    See how the large rig has a nice wide opening on the top ring, the XL does not. Probably has to do with balance, but worth noting the difference. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2017
    I enjoy these threads, always learn something new.  

@GoooDawgs

we've been experimenting on that one......it still has a few hurdles to overcome.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    GoooDawgs said:
    See how the large rig has a nice wide opening on the top ring, the XL does not. Probably has to do with balance, but worth noting the difference. 
    My original Large Adj Rig had the 2nd front bar much higher than the new model in your photo. I cut it out and it just has the bottom ring in front.
    I have thought about cutting upper front ring of XL Rig a well. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv said:
    I enjoy these threads, always learn something new.  

@GoooDawgs

we've been experimenting on that one......it still has a few hurdles to overcome.

t

if you need some engineering help, PM me, I can help with running the math, what material to use or anything along the lines.  seems like much more important work than aircraft.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Looks like this front bar issue has been addressed and the new AR's are being shipped without the front bar.  Am I correct on this?  Thinking of upgrading to a XL and want to make sure of this before I do.  Thanks!
    Large Egg
    SS Smokeware Cap
    CGS Adjustable Rig
    CGS Spider
    Flame Boss 200
    Mini Max
    CGS Mini Max Woo