Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig from CGS....

Options
2»

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    boatcapt said:
    Looks like this front bar issue has been addressed and the new AR's are being shipped without the front bar.  Am I correct on this?  Thinking of upgrading to a XL and want to make sure of this before I do.  Thanks!
    Pretty sure you are correct. However, if it does come with the front bar it’s my understanding that it’s like a 2 beer project to remove it. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2018
    Options
    boatcapt said:
    Looks like this front bar issue has been addressed and the new AR's are being shipped without the front bar.  Am I correct on this?  Thinking of upgrading to a XL and want to make sure of this before I do.  Thanks!
    Correct, the newest XL Rig version does not have the upper front bar. You are good. And you will love the XL BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    chuckytheegghead said: it’s my understanding that it’s like a 2 beer project to remove it. 
    If you are shotgunning them! 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    boatcapt said:
    Here's a pic from a cook I did this past weekend on the XL AR I got back in December. You can see the upper ring does not go all the way around.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    I have the previous XL AR version with the top bar all the way around. After seeing this photo I'm very intrigued about @chuckytheegghead 's 2 beer solution.  I very rarely use the middle settings, this looks like it makes those much more accessible and useful.  Also, I'm not opposed to shotgunning.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I’ve had the AR for five years and use it 95% of the time. What can the Woo do that the AR can’t?
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I have the AR for my XL and love it - I got the AR/Woo combo (1 x XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo - XL Woo Ring - XL Adjustable Rig - 17.5 Round Ceramic Stone - 20 Round Stainless Grid / 16x20 Oval Stainless Grid - XL Slide Guide w/Crossbar & 18 Round Stainless Drip Pan (sku: XAR-Woo & Rig-BO-3))

I use it nearly every time I use the egg - certainly use the Woo & stone instead of a plate setter (don't have one of those for the XL and don't see a need). I also have made raised grids in the past with bolts & washers but those don't maximize the real estate like the AR does. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I’ve had the AR for five years and use it 95% of the time. What can the Woo do that the AR can’t?
    Cook Raised Direct with the standard 24" grid.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Use it with a pizza stone and you won't need a plate setter
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    How easy the xl rig makes bbq cooks in the xl egg is the #1 comment we get back from folks on why they like the xl rig. 

https://youtu.be/WW0X9AEMbVA

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love my AR R&B, I use it all the time.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatcapt
    Options
    Anyone use the D-grid on top instead of the full 20" grid?  I was thinking if you were doing a two level cook full of say wings or burgers, the D-grid would be more convenient to access the bottom level.
    Large Egg
    SS Smokeware Cap
    CGS Adjustable Rig
    CGS Spider
    Flame Boss 200
    Mini Max
    CGS Mini Max Woo
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @JRWhitee did you buy any other pieces to use with the R and B setup? 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2018
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @JRWhitee did you buy any other pieces to use with the R and B setup? 
    I have the oval stone the grid extender and the woo as well

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    boatcapt said:
    Anyone use the D-grid on top instead of the full 20" grid?  I was thinking if you were doing a two level cook full of say wings or burgers, the D-grid would be more convenient to access the bottom level.
    Yes, perfect use of d-grid as you describe. Great when you want to roast and sear and not have to adjust your setup at all.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas