Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

People not from the USA - what American food do you want to try?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Loved it!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Your lazagna.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Fascinating read.  I've visited about 10 different countries and have always enjoyed the "local" cuisines (except for a couple british items).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Botch said:
    ........... have always enjoyed the "local" cuisines (except for a couple british items).  
    Name and shame please, we won't (probably) get offended.
  • Botch
    edited September 2017
    Oh noes, that was quick!   :o  :blush:

I normally had your light "continental" breakfasts (where I began a lifelong love of tea) but one weekend I ordered a "heavier" breakfast.  The bacon was boiled, not fried.  That was sick and wrong.  
    The other thing is all the "smashed-pea" inclusions, and this is more me, I don't like peas unless the water is boiling first, pick them in the garden, shell them as you race back to the house, blanch quickly; then peas are okay.  Otherwise, canned, mashed, smeared, even frozen, I just don't care for them.  
    I haven't tried blood sausage, I could like it; just the idea gives me a mental block (and yet I'ved had Rocky Mountain Oysters).  

I'm interested in what American foods you'd like to try, Eoin.  Were I to cook for you it'd be pork spareribs and beef plate ribs; the ribs you've shown look so different from what we have.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've always wondered what spotted **** tastes like (I know that doesn't sound right). Pics have looked somewhat appealing. How the heck did it get that name though?

@botch black pudding (blood sausage) is awesome. I've had it an an Argetninian place too.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Botch said:

I normally had your light "continental" breakfasts (where I began a lifelong love of tea) but one weekend I ordered a "heavier" breakfast.  The bacon was boiled, not fried.  That was sick and wrong.  
    The other thing is all the "smashed-pea" inclusions, and this is more me, I don't like peas unless the water is boiling first, pick them in the garden, shell them as you race back to the house, blanch quickly; then peas are okay.  Otherwise, canned, mashed, smeared, even frozen, I just don't care for them.  
    I haven't tried blood sausage, I could like it; just the idea gives me a mental block (and yet I'ved had Rocky Mountain Oysters).  

I'm interested in what American foods you'd like to try, Eoin.  Were I to cook for you it'd be pork spareribs and beef plate ribs; the ribs you've shown look so different from what we have.  

Continental breakfast is called that because it's what they eat on the continent - bread, cheese, ham and pastries aren't British. Never had boiled bacon for breakfast, that's a bit strange and not correct for a full English. 

Not sure what to say about black pudding (blood sausage), it is fantastic and a must for a cooked breakfast. In Northern Ireland the full breakfast is an Ulster Fry and includes black pudding and white pudding - made from tripe, which is also fantastic.

Finally, mushy peas are a must with fish and chips.

It would be good to try BBQ US style to compare with my efforts, for which I have no real reference point. Ribs, brisket etc. would be really interesting to try. I see a lot of good stuff on here from a lot of great cooks, there's so much to try.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:

Continental breakfast is called that because it's what they eat on the continent - bread, cheese, ham and pastries aren't British. Never had boiled bacon for breakfast, that's a bit strange and not correct for a full English. 

Not sure what to say about black pudding (blood sausage), it is fantastic and a must for a cooked breakfast. In Northern Ireland the full breakfast is an Ulster Fry and includes black pudding and white pudding - made from tripe, which is also fantastic.

It would be good to try BBQ US style to compare with my efforts, for which I have no real reference point. Ribs, brisket etc. would be really interesting to try. I see a lot of good stuff on here from a lot of great cooks, there's so much to try.
    salmon and peas is a new england tradition, never served here with fried fish though. fried fish gets tarter sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:

salmon and peas is a new england tradition, never served here with fried fish though. fried fish gets tarter sauce
    Mushy peas?

In the North where we are, pie and peas with mint sauce is a favourite. Got plenty of mint in the garden for this purpose, my preferred pie is steak and kidney
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The Brits are like the Borg.  They have incorporated plenty of colonial cuisine into their lexicon of daily meals.  Except for American BBQ...  

Curry is a British definition of an Indian spice mix.
    The Brits are like the Borg.  They have incorporated plenty of colonial cuisine into their lexicon of daily meals.  Except for American BBQ...  

Yes, curry in the curry house is definitely a British interpretation. I do have some proper Indian cook books as well and do this at home. BBQ here is usually terrible, last time I saw 'brisket' is was pulled and sitting in a warming tray, curling at the edges. I didn't try it. The same place had pulled pork, didn't try that either, mine looks way better and I'm an amateur.
  • fishlessman
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:

Mushy peas?

In the North where we are, pie and peas with mint sauce is a favourite. Got plenty of mint in the garden for this purpose, my preferred pie is steak and kidney
    peas get lightly steamed, never mushy =) we have an english pie shop nearby, lots of meat pies you may have never seen to appease the locals but they have great pork pie and beef/kidney.  pies are out of the ovens starting 9am, always a breakfast crowd.

http://www.thwaitesmarket.com/index.php

fukahwee maine

• @Eoin - not sure where you are in UK but I know this guy has spent some time in the US (Texas) and knows how to do it right!!
    https://www.greatfoodclub.co.uk/business/low-n-slow-street-food/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eoin
    @Eoin - not sure where you are in UK but I know this guy has spent some time in the US (Texas) and knows how to do it right!!
    https://www.greatfoodclub.co.uk/business/low-n-slow-street-food/
    He's in Birmingham and I'm there tomorrow to see a customer. I've emilailed him to see where he's going to be.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2017
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:

You're welcome to come visit us in Houston anytime . We'll get some good 'cue in ya :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    The daughter of a friend and coworker got married this weekend to an Irish gent.  When his visiting family was asked if there was anything they wanted to see, the answer was "Walmart." Seems they loaded up on Lucky Charms and the like and they will be hosting an "American Breakfast" party when they get back home. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    My first time in the U.K. Was Scotland back in 1982. Went to the local shop for some fish and chips. It came wrapped in newspaper, and the lady behind the counter asked if you wanted salt and vinegar on it as she was already pouring it on. If you said no she just stopped sooner. 

My first Full English Breakfast was a disaster. Egg was cooked in a ring, black on the bottom, runny on top. Fried tomato was ok, the included sausage and bacon was pretty good as I recall. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Eoin said:

Yes, curry in the curry house is definitely a British interpretation. I do have some proper Indian cook books as well and do this at home. BBQ here is usually terrible, last time I saw 'brisket' is was pulled and sitting in a warming tray, curling at the edges. I didn't try it. The same place had pulled pork, didn't try that either, mine looks way better and I'm an amateur.
    Don't feel bad; most of the BBQ here is terrible as well. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Eoin said:

I see a lot of good stuff on here from a lot of great cooks, there's so much to try.
    True that. 

let me get crazy here for a moment.  Butt blast next year?  (I won't be at brisket camp).  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Felt the love for Thrasher's Fries in OC MD....Yes they are that good!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    CTMike said:
    The daughter of a friend and coworker got married this weekend to an Irish gent.  When his visiting family was asked if there was anything they wanted to see, the answer was "Walmart." Seems they loaded up on Lucky Charms and the like and they will be hosting an "American Breakfast" party when they get back home. 
    They know to pour Budweiser over them, right?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Foghorn said:
    CTMike said:
    They know to pour Budweiser over them, right?
    They'll probably ruin it with Budweiser Budvar Brewery beer.

Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eoin
    @GATraveller the low-n-slow guy only does Friday in Birmingham plus events, so no luck today.

@johnnyp butt blast one day when we get a chance to have a long enough holiday to be able to come over to the US.
  • Eoin said:
    @GATraveller the low-n-slow guy only does Friday in Birmingham plus events, so no luck today.

@johnnyp butt blast one day when we get a chance to have a long enough holiday to be able to come over to the US.
    Bummer

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Eoin said:  
    Continental breakfast is called that because it's what they eat on the continent - bread, cheese, ham and pastries aren't British. 
    Well, I'm either not remembering correctly or was told wrong.  I thought a continental breakfast was simply a lightly-sweetened (not the saccharine sugarbombs we yanks are stuck with) pastry, and tea; nothing else (they never included even cheese nor ham).  That was nice most mornings.    

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    Eoin said:  
    Continental breakfast is called that because it's what they eat on the continent - bread, cheese, ham and pastries aren't British. 
    Well, I'm either not remembering correctly or was told wrong.  I thought a continental breakfast was simply a lightly-sweetened (not the saccharine sugarbombs we yanks are stuck with) pastry, and tea; nothing else (they never included even cheese nor ham).  That was nice most mornings.    
    sounds more similar to a complimentry "continental" hotel breakfast that some hotels used to make but with coffee and/or tea, usually set up in the lobby or just off of it
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    from http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-a-continental-breakfast-and-what-makes-it-continental-239400

Where does the term come from?

The term "continental breakfast" originated in Britain in the mid-19th century. To the British, "the continent" refers to the countries of mainland Europe. A "continental breakfast" describes the type of breakfast you'd encounter in places like France and the Mediterranean. It's a lighter, more delicate alternative to the full English breakfast — a heaping plate of eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, beans, and roasted mushrooms and tomatoes.

Continental breakfasts were also a stark contrast to American-style breakfasts, which boasted large helpings of eggs, breakfast meats, pancakes, potatoes, and toast. Europeans recoiled at the American-style breakfast, which they found too heavy and far too greasy. They preferred much more modest breakfast fare like fruit, bread, and pastries. So hotels aimed to please their more refined palates.