Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella

My children came home for the long weekend and brought friends. We thought paella would be a fun cook as several of the friends had never had it. 
Lighting fires.

Veggie prep.

Chicken going in.

Onion and grated tomato.

Rice.

Chicken broth with saffron.

Waiting to toast the bottom. 

Lighting is terrible. The food was good. Time with family was awesome. 

The bottom was nicely toasted. 

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Awesome meal brother!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Dude.  That looks so good I'd want to treat the whole pan as my plate.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks. I had some big boys to feed. That pan should feed 15/16 people. Last night it fed 8. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Man, that looks like such a cool cook! I've never even tasted it though. Don't know why, but making paella intimidates me. I bought a pan several years ago, Bomba rice too. Even the saffron! I have a large egg, and a Weber kettle (possibly a better choice for this cook) or I could use the fire pit on my patio that would work as yours does, though at ground level. I even have a folding campfire grid to hold the pan above the fire. And yet, the pan just hangs from a peg on the wall, taunting me.

Every so often, someone posts a delicious looking paella cook, like yours, that makes me want to give it a try. But I never have. Maybe this time...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I don't know what's more impressive, your post or your outdoor kitchen. I bought a paella pan two years ago and still have never taken the leap. This definitely motivated me though. Maybe I'll try before another two years passes, lol. Thanks for the great share.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Just Gawjus...had to be as fun to cook as the finished product. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That looks outstanding brother Sci!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    When I saw the thread title and author I knew I was in for quite a picture show. Great cook, documentation and outcome.  Congrats.  Outstanding as always.
    And for those who are thinking of jumping in, here's a link to a great primer:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • About time to cook another Paella meal. One of my favorites. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • That's just fabulous!!  LOVE the outdoor kitchen!  I can't wait to put in my outdoor wood oven next year....lots of planning this winter ;)
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • SciAggie
    @GalanteNate_OneEa @Carolina Q Y'all have to just jump in my friends. This cook is a lot of fun and easier than you think - particularly if you use wood. Need more heat? Add a few sticks. Too much heat? Pull some out or scrape to the side. 
    There is a trick I've learned to making a consistent soccarrat. Push the tines of a fork against the bottom of the pan and scrape it back and forth - to feel the bottom. It slides easily as the rice is cooking. As the soccarrat develops, the fork will begin to "stick" a little - that's the rice browning. Once that happens around the pan, it's done. Rotate the pan around the fire to make sure you toast things evenly. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    bgebrent said:
    That looks outstanding brother Sci!!
    Thank you sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @lousubcap My daughter was in charge of photography last night. I was fighting my way through a couple of bottles of wine.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @Bayou_Buzzard @Wanasmoke Thanks for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2017
    This is why I'm intimidated by paella... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzxD3tFWsPI&t=19s

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    Just Gawjus...had to be as fun to cook as the finished product. 
    It really is a fun cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    My gosh. What an astounding post. The food, as always, looks stellar, but the outdoor kitchen you have built, is beyond anything I have seen, ever.
    Outstanding cook, your family, specifically the children, are a bunch of blessed folks.
    It would be a shame if they did not realize how wonderful their father is.
    Amazing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Now that's socarrat!  Most excellently done.

Seeing pics of your  cooks and outdoor kitchen is very soothing :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice paella! I've started thinking about what I'd want for my outdoor kitchen and wasn't considering a fire pit but you might have just changed my mind.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SciAggie
    @YukonRon Thank you. As you well know, cooking for family and friends and spending time with each other is among the best things in life. On a side note, you might be happy to know I drank way too much wine for this cook... 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @caliking Thanks. It took me a while to figure out how to form the socarrat. The fork trick works every time. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @R2Egg2Q The hearth is just really, really fun. Lesson learned - go ahead and make a chimney to vent smoke. It works ok once the fire is burning well, but it can be a bit smokey as you get a fire going. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Really nice paella there. Had paella in Majorca and Valencia during my navy days. A great meal that can be modified to include what you want/have.  Look forward to all your cooks sir!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yes!  Yes! Yes!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Bada$$!  Bada$$!  Bada$$!
    Looks like a perfect cook over live fire, nicely done my friend.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    edited September 2017
    Foghorn said:
    You'd have to fight me for it. (I would fight like a girl.) What a beautiful kitchen and cook and event. 

Beth
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • SciAggie
    @thetrim Many thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @Focker Interestingly enough, I'm finding it easier to cook over live fire. I can control the heat better. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    bjeans said:
    Foghorn said:
    You'd have to fight me for it. (I would fight like a girl.) What a beautiful kitchen and cook and event. 

Beth
    I'll make one big enough for the both of you. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great, I'm envious of your fire.  Did you happen to use bomba?