Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I hate my cooktop

Options
DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
I've got an older GE Profile electric cooktop and it's awful. Chirps when the element cuts in or off and it takes forever to boil water. The grits in the pic have taken nearly twice as long to cook as with my previous gasser. I've got propane but not NG now. 

The real question miving forward is do I buy an induction cooktop or a gas rangetop (Thermador/Wolf etc) converted to propane. The induction would be the easiest route as it would basically be plug and play. Is the extra effort of running a gas line etc worth the hassle over a high end induction unit? 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've got an older GE Profile electric cooktop and it's awful. Chirps when the element cuts in or off and it takes forever to boil water. The grits in the pic have taken nearly twice as long to cook as with my previous gasser. I've got propane but not NG now. 

The real question miving forward is do I buy an induction cooktop or a gas rangetop (Thermador/Wolf etc) converted to propane. The induction would be the easiest route as it would basically be plug and play. Is the extra effort of running a gas line etc worth the hassle over a high end induction unit? 

I'm gonna convert to propane.  Cooking with gas is better for me.  Can also power back up generator.  Call if you have any generator questions.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:

I'm gonna convert to propane.  Cooking with gas is better for me.  Can also power back up generator.  Call if you have any generator questions.
    The house is already prewired with transfer switches etc. Just need to buy a gen. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    The house we are in now has gas and I love it. 

Had an electrician come and put in a switch for my generator. 

Can't be too prepared for that 1/2 inch of snow Tennessee may or may not get. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    The house we are in now has gas and I love it. 

Had an electrician come and put in a switch for my generator. 

Can't be too prepared for that 1/2 inch of snow Tennessee may or may not get. 
    Ice is your problem, as you know.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I converted to propane, I like that decision.  However, my unit I'm not excited about.  Oven temp is all over the place.  The range is good.  Avoid Kenmore Pro.

I buried a huge tank, only run the stove off it.  I'm good for years. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We cooked on a newer induction cook top in Colorado. I actually liked the speed in which it boiled water for our French Press and pasta. It did really well for breakfast cooks, it really was not bad, at all.
    My problem with an induction cook top; keeping it presentable after a cook. I found it difficult to clean and keep clean.
    With my gas oven/range, in our new kitchen, it is a breeze to keep presentable, and it works very well.
    Gas dude, for me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks Ron. I've never cooked on induction so I don't have any point of reference. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We love our induction top.We wanted gas when we remodeled a year ago but we cannot have it in our area. We researched and went with induction and so glad we did. I've had gas and enjoyed it but the induction is better. Faster and more precise too. It also does not heat up the kitchen like gas will. It literally I only heats he pan. Super easy to clean too. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thanks Ron. I've never cooked on induction so I don't have any point of reference. 
    Keep in mind 14 minutes on high to boil 2 Qt of water at 7000 ft ASL. That is pretty good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    We put induction in when we rebuilt our house.  I love it and would absolutely do it again.  Heats up wicked fast nd holds a stable temp.  turn it off and it is off and the burner doesn't stay hot.

I'm the opposite of Ron, I find it extremely easy to keep clean, one spray and wipe with Fantastic Max and it is perfect - doesn't streak and no nooks, crannies or recesses for gunk/goop/crumbs to get into.  

Seems fairly durable...I was making tortillas one day and after a few too many Norcal margs went to grab the CI skillet without an oven mitt.  got it about 8 inches up before the smell of burning flesh hit my nostrils and the pain registered and I dropped it straight onto the cooktop - nary a crack, chip or scratch...
  • Spaightlabs
    Options

YukonRon said:
    Keep in mind 14 minutes on high to boil 2 Qt of water at 7000 ft ASL. That is pretty good.
    That can't be correct.  I'm at 5600 feet- testing now.

Bosch cooktop with 'speed boost'.  2 quarts, cold tap water, 68 degrees per thermapen, full boil in 3:48.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

YukonRon said:

Bosch cooktop with 'speed boost'.  2 quarts, cold tap water, 68 degrees per thermapen, full boil in 3:48.
    I have the Bosch but we are at 650 feet. I'm guessing we could boil 2 qt in under 2 min. It's rocket fast
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Higher the altitude, the faster your water boils, all else equal (amount of water, btu applied).

This has been your science nerd daily fun fact.
    Options
    Higher the altitude, the faster your water boils, all else equal (amount of water, btu applied).

boiling point drops by about 1 degree F for every 500 feet of altitude above sea level...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options

Would a gas stove put out fewer btu at higher elevation d/t reduced oxygen where an electric would remain fairly constant?
  • nolaegghead
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Legume said:

Would a gas stove put out fewer btu at higher elevation d/t reduced oxygen where an electric would remain fairly constant?
    Gas stoves burn all the gas with an abundance of air (called oxidizing combustion). The amount of gas burned determines the btu.  They work just as well at higher altitudes.

If there is incomplete combustion, you have bigger problems, like carbon monoxide.

Internal combustion engines, different story.  Gasoline engines should have the perfect mix of fuel and air.  There is less air at higher altitudes so less fuel is used for each stroke, which results in lower power.
    Options

YukonRon said:

Just passing on our experience on the one we used in a rented cabin in Lyons on top of Pioneer Mountain. Feel free to test it there if you wish.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    YukonRon said:

YukonRon said:

Just passing on our experience on the one we used in a rented cabin in Lyons on top of Pioneer Mountain. Feel free to test it there if you wish.
    Likewise, just passing on my experience at a lower altitude where water boils a wee bit slower...14 minutes to boil 2 quarts of water doesn't seem pretty good for any type of cook top/stove. Lyons is a little weird (in a good way) and all kinds of laid back so maybe water just boils slower up there.   =)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    On the up side, that low altitude water that takes longer to boil cooks much faster.
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wish I could take some groceries to the showroom and cook some grub before making a decision. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I wish I could take some groceries to the showroom and cook some grub before making a decision. 
    @DoubleEgger I bet if you got an employees shirt from the store you could pull it off for at least half an hour as a "demo" before management got wise. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    Wouldn't matter. Whatever you get will be a lemon. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    I have a GE profile electric cook top.  It is awful for boiling water and general cooking.  I had an old electric oven in an apartment with old school metal coils that was heads and tails better than this cooktop.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I had natural gas, now have propane. I installed the cooktop here, and have had issues getting it dialed in. It seems that no matter how low I adjust it, I can't simmer. Even a barely there flame tends to boil and scorch unless you watch it carefully. Dunno, probably user error...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    We got this 30" Bosch a couple weeks ago. It works well.   Not blazing BTU.  18k in the middle.   We like it so far.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Here is some stuff I posted on induction a while back. Good reads for making your decision. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184246/ot-induction-cooktops-modernist-cuisine-piece
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    On the up side, that low altitude water that takes longer to boil cooks much faster.
    It's always fun to put a small beaker of water in a vacuum chamber and let the kids see water boil at room temperature once the pressure gets low enough. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    You can always order one of the countertop induction hot plates through Amazon. They are handy for processing chiles outside or cooking bbque sauce or such even if you never install it in the house. There is no natural gas in my part of the neighborhood. If I installed propane my insurance would go up. Of course we don't have to worry about freezing to death, drawing or steam broiling maybe.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    We've got an Electrolux Induction cooktop. 2 burners are old school and 2 are induction.  Induction is awesome. Can't tell you how fast I boil water but I will say the heat control is rediculas    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.