Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moderator Request

The_Stache
The_Stache Posts: 1,153
edited August 2017 in Forum Feedback
Links posted in the forum open "on the same" tab as the forum.  This requires extra steps to get back to the forum.

Many forums, as a standard, open links in a new tab.  Can this be updated?

(Note, not talking about imbedded videos, etc.  Simply a link such as to Amazon or some other web site should open in a new tab, not replace the eggheadforum tab)

Here's an example: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html
Kirkland, TN
2 LBGE, 1 MM

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    If you have one of the newer iPhones, an extended tap gives you a pop up and option of opening it in a new tab. At least that is a workaround.  I use it all the time.  Not sure if that works for other phones as well.

Right clicking on the link with a mouse gives the same option. 

It would be a nice default though....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Roebuck
    Roebuck Posts: 45
    Ctrl (Mac: Cmd) left-click will open a link in a new tab.

...I would also request a size limit for uploading images if anyone is listening.
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What's wrong with the Back button?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    edited August 2017
    not sure ive ever seen bge change something by request.OT Forum posts showing up in the main forum, insane but i like it is an example
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The_Stache
    @Sea2Ski - I use the right click option but when I forget (only have to remember for this forum) its "troubling" as I am trying to reduce the number of F-Bombs I drop daily! :)  Default is preferred.

@Roebuck - Thanks!  I also agree with the limited image size (particularly living in the country with less than minimal population density to support cable/fiber)

@SmokeyPitt - Thanks!  Great info!!  I guess I'm just a fussbudget but it seems to me that I shouldn't have to install an app/addon for what is normal on many other forums!  I appreciate the link!

@Carolina Q  - Yup... nothing wrong with it, but why do we need to use it? :)

@fishlessman - Agreed, but worth taking the step. 

After retiring from 30 years in IT (last roll was managing a group that included web site development)... This just hits one of my old buttons!!

Thanks for your comments!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    First world problems man
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If I have to move the mouse up to close the new pop up window instead of the back button my life would be complete.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    A lot of people don't like links automatically opening in a new tab. I've already got 10 windows open with a total of 77 tabs at the moment.

I use a multibutton mouse with various behaviors mapped to the various buttons, one of which is "open in new tab", which I'll use when I want that to happen.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Roebuck

After retiring from 30 years in IT (last roll was managing a group that included web site development)... This just hits one of my old buttons!!

Thanks for your comments!
     As a developer - it hits mine as well.
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Which browser is the best?
  • The_Stache
    HeavyG said:
    A lot of people don't like links automatically opening in a new tab. I've already got 10 windows open with a total of 77 tabs at the moment.

I use a multibutton mouse with various behaviors mapped to the various buttons, one of which is "open in new tab", which I'll use when I want that to happen.

You, sir, are an overachiever!! :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    Legume said:
    I would wait until Friday evening to ask that question!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Roebuck
    edited August 2017
    HeavyG said:

Users might not like when links automatically open in a new tab but the site owner should -- *if it's to a third party site.

It's best practice that you open third party sites in a new window/tab....otherwise it's possible that person might not "come back".
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Legume said:
    Rockwood. Duh. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Roebuck said:

Users might not like when links automatically open in a new tab but the site owner should -- *if it's to a third party site.

It's best practice that you open third party sites in a new window/tab....otherwise it's possible that person might not "come back".
    This is very true.  When I am on the net, I am just burning time anyway. Often times I get lost in the new website (if I see something interesting) and don't come back to the original site.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Roebuck said:
    HeavyG said:

Just because it may be a "best practice" for the website owner doesn't mean it is a "best practice" for their visitors/users.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Rick,
    Could you please ask the moderator(s) to change the background to blue?  The white background as I watch it late at night seems to interfere with my sleep cycle.  For a friend?  Thanks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    As a guest, I am grateful for the site however it is 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The_Stache
    bgebrent said:
    Rick,
    Could you please ask the moderator(s) to change the background to blue?  The white background as I watch it late at night seems to interfere with my sleep cycle.  For a friend?  Thanks.
      All in Brent... Buffalo does appear to be sleeping!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrent
    Buffalo has been in hibernation.  Unprecedented.  Does not bode well for you brother flatulator.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    bgebrent said:
    Rick,
     Want a unicorn 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    lkapigian said:
    bgebrent said:
    Rick,
     Want a unicorn 
    Thanks, already have one.  His screen name is @northGAcock.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    edited August 2017
    bgebrent said:
    Buffalo has been in hibernation.  Unprecedented.  Does not bode well for you brother flatulator.
    Not true. That ol bison nuked my Get Well Soon Ric Flair post.  Must be a Dwusty Rhwoades fan 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    Not true. That ol bison nuked my Get Well Soon Ric Flair post.  Must be a Dwusty Rhwoades fan 
    Sounds like touch and go for your boy.  Medically induced coma is not a good sign, nor when you come out of it.  Hoping the best for your boy Michael.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    bgebrent said:
    Never saw that post. At least the Prayers and WOOs needed post is still alive.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I hate that too, but keep in mind, like everything these days - It's Trump's fault.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95