Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Lasagna

Options
HoustonEgger
HoustonEgger Posts: 616
Yesterday I had some time to settle in and cook a bit, so I decided to do a batch of my freezer lasagna (basically make 5-6 large pans of lasagna at one time and then always have a few to throw down). While I was working on the sauce, I got inspired to try wrapping one in bacon. So I did. It turned out awesome. I will be doing this again for sure. 

The recipe was the exact same as below (note, the recipe makes 5-6 large pans) but wrapped in bacon. And I also cooked it about 30 minutes longer to ensure everything was rendered well. 

Here is when I inverted the bacon wrapped lasagna and put it on another grill pan to allow the three other sides to brown/render.

Recipe: (without the bacon wrap - makes a lot of pans)

Ingredients:
Meat Sauce:

• 3 lbs Ground Beef
  • 2 lbs Hot Breakfast Sausage (Jimmy Dean) – (2) rolls
  • 4 Tablespoons chopped garlic (fresh or jarred)
  • 4 cans (14.5 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes (store brand!)
  • 4 cans (6 Ounce) Tomato Paste (store brand!)
  • 4 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
  • 4 Tablespoons Dried Basil
  • 2 teaspoons Salt

Cheese:

• 6 cups Cottage Cheese (3 large containers)
  • 4 whole eggs – beaten
  • 1 cup Grated (not Shredded) Parmesan Cheese + more for toppings
  • 4 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
  • 4 Tablespoons Dried Basil
  • 2 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 pounds Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese for topping

Other:

• 2-3 packages (boxes) Lasagna Noodles
  • 4-5 foil pans – I buy mine at Sams Club in bulk. Do not make the lasagna in your nice pans if you are freezing it or giving it away, you may never get them back 

Directions:
DO NOT Cook your noodles. No need to – and don’t buy the “oven ready” ones, save your $. It will turn out great, trust me. 

Step 1: Make the meat sauce by first cooking the beef and sausage (together in the same large pot) and then draining off the fat.

Step 2: Once the meat it browned and drained, add the tomatoes (crush with your hands when adding to the pot), tomatoe paste, garlic, herbs and salt. Stir all together and let simmer for at least an hour for the flavors to get happy.

Step 3: While the sauce is simmering, start the cheese mixture by combining the cottage cheese, eggs, 1 cup Parmesan, parsley, basil and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.

Step 4: Create your assembly line. Remember that you are making 4-5 lasagnas, so spread out and enlist a helper if you can.

Step 5: Assembly! I start each pan with 1 spoonful of sauce, a layer of noodles, cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese, sauce, noodle and then finish with sauce. Top the final layer with the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan.

Step 6: I cover with foil and then freeze – unless I’m eating it right away. The lasagna is good for 2-3 days without freezing.

Egg setup: Set your egg up for 300-350 indirect. Plate setter legs up, grid on the setter and then the lasagna on top of the grid. I’ll let the lasagna go about 1 1/2 hours foiled and then uncover and let brown for another 30-45 minutes. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Just when you think you've wrapped everything you can think of in bacon

You go and do something like this...

Looks awesome.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You are a sick man...Ha Ha
    Looks killer
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Brilliant. Excellent post. This is what this forum is all about.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    WOW!!  That looks incredible!!
    XL BGE
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Wonderful idea. Bookmarked and thanks.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Love this cook, wondering what the final ingredient cost was, I'll take a guess @ $35 dollars ea?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brilliant. Great detailed post. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now that's thinking out of the pan! I might try this with prosciutto at some point. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    FKN'A!!!!! Dude that looks amazing!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    If I'm ever on death row, about to be executed, and asked what my last meal will be, I'm sending the warden to this thread!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Hub said:
    If I'm ever on death row, about to be executed, and asked what my last meal will be, I'm sending the warden to this thread!
    You'll want all 6 pans then, yes??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes Yes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well holy sh!t. 

Little Rock, AR

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't have believed it unless I witnessed it here.  The profile photo haunts me and I really want to try it now.  Cool idea and cook!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Pure genius ! Bacon wrapped lasagna ! I am not worthy !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I would neve thought of that. but wow just wow

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Lost for words. 
    Snellville, GA

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Bravo! Really outstanding work, right there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Wow, all I can say
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That is just stellar, this kind of thinking deserves some kind of award!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That is next level stuff right there. Nicely done @HoustonEgger

Phoenix 
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    great idea! Its only me and wifey so I would have to reduce recipe to make 1 pan. Thanks for the post. Looks awesome
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Niiice
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @HoustonEgger

Looks fantastic! I have a question or two for you. 

From your pics those those look like bread loaf sized pans. Like what my wife makes banana bread in. Maybe like 3"x3" and 8" length. Is that what you mean by large pans? Or do you mean the half sheet size? I'm wondering if you just took half of one pan and did the bacon wrapped and the other half regular? I like the size of what you show for me and my wife and toddler. 

Second how how do you package for the freezer? Would heavy duty foil work well enough to prevent freezer burn?

thanks!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Love this cook, wondering what the final ingredient cost was, I'll take a guess @ $35 dollars ea?
    About $40 for 5-6 pans if you had to buy everything (not including bacon). My recipe calls for the large 9x13 pans. In the bacon experiment I only used small loaf pans

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    That looks sooooo good!  Good lasagna does cost a bit.  A local butcher sells his version of lasagna in a smaller container than what you are using.  If I remember correctly you get two generous pieces for 13 dollars.  It is worth it!

Your bands may need adjusting/tightening.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    maso said:
    @HoustonEgger

Looks fantastic! I have a question or two for you. 

From your pics those those look like bread loaf sized pans. Like what my wife makes banana bread in. Maybe like 3"x3" and 8" length. Is that what you mean by large pans? Or do you mean the half sheet size? I'm wondering if you just took half of one pan and did the bacon wrapped and the other half regular? I like the size of what you show for me and my wife and toddler. 

Second how how do you package for the freezer? Would heavy duty foil work well enough to prevent freezer burn?

thanks!
    Yes sir, you are correct - for the bacon experiment, I just halved one pan and used two small loaf pans. The full recipe makes several 9x13 (half sheet) pans. When I freeze, I saran wrap and then foil. Never have a freezer burn problem, but they also don't last long. My wife tends to give them away to friends and family pretty fast (like I said, a great throw down prep meal).

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    That looks sooooo good!  Good lasagna does cost a bit.  A local butcher sells his version of lasagna in a smaller container than what you are using.  If I remember correctly you get two generous pieces for 13 dollars.  It is worth it!

Your bands may need adjusting/tightening.  
    Good eye - but it's are good and tight. Just an old egg (10+ years) with the original band which is now pretty warped & slightly rusted.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Seriously?
    Dude
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky