Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first, and probably last, smashburgers on the Blackstone 17.

Been waiting for a break in the afternoon showers to break in the new Blackstone 17 and today is the day.
Got everything set up and staged for the cook, already had the griddle nicely seasoned and went with smashburgers to break this thing in.
OK, I have been a little skeptical about all the posts proclaiming smashburgers the best burgers, but dang, these are good. The crust on the burger makes for great flavor. Beats the chain type burgers by miles. I did not use the oil, had it for the onions but did not need it.
So why are these probably the last smashburgers? GREASE, grease everywhere. Maybe this ground beef was too fatty. It said 80/20 but it might have been more 50/50. Now I am not exaggerating, grease was flying everywhere, I was cooking in a cloud of grease. It got all over the Blackstone, all over the table, all over the deck, all over me, with so much I could barely see though the grease build up on my glasses. Clean up took quite a while.
Then to top it off, the buns were stale, so no real burgers, served it with some coleslaw, sliced tomatoes and onions, with some leftover Kraft mac and cheese. Very good, but man, cleanup took awhile.
Set up and ready to go:

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Maybe they started out too big, not sure. Or maybe I should have only done a couple at a time.

• epcotisbest
    Hard to complain about these results, but I can complain about the grease.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Is there a drip tray?  Why not just skim the grease off while they are cooking? 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    They do look good, too bad the collateral damage was too much. Maybe another reason to keep splattery grease cooks contained inside the dome......?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If you think the burgers are messy, toss on a pack of bacon.lol
    Your burgers do look great. I'm sure a leaner, smaller patty would work out better. Especially smaller. Most recoment to start with 3oz balls. Seems absurdly small but the idea is thin and crispy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • epcotisbest
    Made for a good lunch, but lousy clean up. Special guest appearance by dirty fork.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Grease is flavor. I have the 36" and I try to do smash burgers in the middle so there's less over-splatter. I do still get the grease-laden glasses which I abhor. Good looking food though!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    If you wear glasses and fry meat you should wear a hat with a bill. Keeps the grease that goes up in the air from coming back down on your glasses. Won't help the table or deck but you will be able to see. 2 1/2 to 3 ounces is about the optimum size ball for smash burgers.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Meat too fat and balls too big 

(do with that what you will)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    A three ounce patty would have worked better, and don't cook more than two at a time.  I never get that much grease.  Use a spatula to push excess grease to the drain.  The end result is worth it.  These should definitely NOT be your last.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You can always cover with a bowl or screen. Onions help around the burgers. Butter the buns and griddle them also. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I feel the same about the grease. We did burgers on the tailgate...big mistake. I plan to make a box to use/store the blackstone that will keep the grease contained. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • epcotisbest
    RedSkip said:
    Is there a drip tray?  Why not just skim the grease off while they are cooking? 
    I had the griddle too crowded and it was hard to keep the grease skimmed away into the drip tray, plus it was splattering everywhere.
  • epcotisbest

They do look good, too bad the collateral damage was too much. Maybe another reason to keep splattery grease cooks contained inside the dome......?
    That is what I am thinking. Maybe grilled indirect over a drip pan. That has worked for me before.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2017
    Dunno. I do 1/3 lb patties for smash burgers. 1/2" thick, 80% (or sometimes 85%). Most I've done was four or five batches of 4 burgers each. One batch after another. No cleanup between batches and no significant grease problem. Didn't even have to degrease the griddle to grill the buttered buns afterward. 

I hope you give it another shot. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    edited August 2017
    I'm another 17" Blackstone user. Three things come to mind:

1. I find it works better with 4 oz burgers. Started out with bigger ones, but the 4 ounce size is best.

2. Agree with others that two at a time is best.

3. I suspect you would have less of a problem if you had a slight tilt to the griddle so the grease ran into the grease trap more quickly. It doesn't take much.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Jeremiah said:
    I feel the same about the grease. We did burgers on the tailgate...big mistake. I plan to make a box to use/store the blackstone that will keep the grease contained. 
    Got Time on your hands these days?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited August 2017
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not much of a smashburger fanboy. I like thicker burgers, med rare. Medium at the most. Smashburgers ain't bad, but not something I'm personally inclined to chase. 

Having said that, a griddle has been the best burger maker. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I also notice the grease, but i think I solved that part of my problem by not going all out with the temperature! Half a dial works for me for smashburgers. As for stale buns - I actually prefer them over moist fresh ones as I like to slightly toast my buns right before the burgers are done.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Jeremiah said:
    Got Time on your hands these days?
    No. None.  :o:s
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Sorry about the flying and abundant grease, but it does look beautiful. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I remember the flying grease well from my days as a bar cook. At least the flat top I used had a grease drain. 

Going home smelling like a giant french fry and smoke........don't miss it. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    I do 2 ounce patties. 2 makes a 1/4lb'er and lots of delicious crust.  Best I've ever made. I think part of the issue is it's only a 17" grill.  With a freestanding model you don't have to cook near anything where a bit of splatter matters.
  • epcotisbest
    Hub said:
    A three ounce patty would have worked better, and don't cook more than two at a time.  I never get that much grease.  Use a spatula to push excess grease to the drain.  The end result is worth it.  These should definitely NOT be your last.
    Yes, too much meat equals too much grease. My fault for doing too many at once.
  • epcotisbest

Jeremiah said:
    I hope you will post photos of what you come up with so I can copy it.
  • epcotisbest

OhioEgger said:
    I'm another 17" Blackstone user. Three things come to mind:

1. I find it works better with 4 oz burgers. Started out with bigger ones, but the 4 ounce size is best.

2. Agree with others that two at a time is best.

3. I suspect you would have less of a problem if you had a slight tilt to the griddle so the grease ran into the grease trap more quickly. It doesn't take much.
    Yes, smaller burgers, only two at a time. Might try that once I get this mess cleaned up.
  • epcotisbest

caliking said:
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not much of a smashburger fanboy. I like thicker burgers, med rare. Medium at the most. Smashburgers ain't bad, but not something I'm personally inclined to chase. 

Having said that, a griddle has been the best burger maker. 
    I really like the burgers, just not the mess I made.
  • epcotisbest

RRP said:
    I also notice the grease, but i think I solved that part of my problem by not going all out with the temperature! Half a dial works for me for smashburgers. As for stale buns - I actually prefer them over moist fresh ones as I like to slightly toast my buns right before the burgers are done.
    I was cooking at a fairly high heat level. If I try them again I will lower the temp. Thanks for the advice.