Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first, and probably last, smashburgers on the Blackstone 17.

Options
2»

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Meat too fat and balls too big 

(do with that what you will)
    That's what she said! OK, someone was gonna say that, might as well be me.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    OOOORRRRR... Since you hate it so much... I'd be happy to take delivery of your 17 in TN and properly punish it!!!!  I'll certainly reimburse freight! =)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I'm with cali, 2oz is a Fockin' meatball.
    I do like a hybrid of the two at 1/3lb.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Focker said:
    I forgot to mention, but my smash burgers are also 1/3 pound and 80/20 at that. I just think my solution of the lower temperature at half mast greatly minimizes the splatter problem.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    OOOORRRRR... Since you hate it so much... I'd be happy to take delivery of your 17 in TN and properly punish it!!!!  I'll certainly reimburse freight! =)
    Thank you for the kind offer to take this thing off my hands. I actually think I like the griddle, just not the grease, so I guess I will try some less greasy stuff like grilled veggies, stir fry, maybe a blackened steak or two and some breakfast (but not bacon) before I box it up.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    I forgot to mention, but my smash burgers are also 1/3 pound and 80/20 at that. I just think my solution of the lower temperature at half mast greatly minimizes the splatter problem.
    Thanks again. Yeah, I guess I had way too much heat on these things, but I was thinking that is what got you the good crust. I got crust, but I got flying grease too. Boy did I get flying grease.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dude, your balls are too big. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Don't you have a wife or kids that can handle the clean up for you? I mean you go to all that trouble to fix great burgers....seems the least they could do.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@epcotisbest

You are making me feel very lucky in the placement of my BS.  I've never given it a second thought (and I make a lot of smashburgers).

Is it possible to find a different location for when you're cooking, so grease wouldn't be an issue? fwiw, I've never experienced the cloud you speak of either.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Too hot, don't give up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Don't you have a wife or kids that can handle the clean up for you? I mean you go to all that trouble to fix great burgers....seems the least they could do.
    No kids. Wife of 35 years who is quite adamant that I can clean up my own mess, and say it with a smile while enjoying the burger I just made.
  • epcotisbest
    Options

blasting said:

@epcotisbest

You are making me feel very lucky in the placement of my BS.  I've never given it a second thought (and I make a lot of smashburgers).

Is it possible to find a different location for when you're cooking, so grease wouldn't be an issue? fwiw, I've never experienced the cloud you speak of either.
    Maybe I can use it out in the middle of the yard. Deck was a bad idea, but I won't have to bother putting sealer on that section this fall.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Thank you for the kind offer to take this thing off my hands. I actually think I like the griddle, just not the grease, so I guess I will try some less greasy stuff like grilled veggies, stir fry, maybe a blackened steak or two and some breakfast (but not bacon) before I box it up.
    might as well sell it...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

blasting said:

@epcotisbest

Maybe I can use it out in the middle of the yard. Deck was a bad idea, but I won't have to bother putting sealer on that section this fall.
    That is the very reason my fryer lives in the yard.  Good thing too, I forgot to close the valve when refilling it with oil once.  FWIW - excessive oil kills grass.
    Options

blasting said:

@epcotisbest

That is the very reason my fryer lives in the yard.  Good thing too, I forgot to close the valve when refilling it with oil once.  FWIW - excessive oil kills grass.
    I have a side section of driveway that is unpaved, just gravel and weeds, so I might set it up there. Used to park the camper there, but sold it so nothing in the way now. The funny thing about the gravel area is grass grows better there than in the yard.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Watch out for critters. Possum, and raccoons tend to show up. Whenever it hits the ground, it can create a convention.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Watch out for critters. Possum, and raccoons tend to show up. Whenever it hits the ground, it can create a convention.
    Here is the critter that has me concerned as there have been reports of rabid foxes in the area. This one has been hanging out in the little gravel and weeds area I was talking about.

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    When I do smashburgers on the Blackstone I cook four at a time, 2.5-ounce balls of 80-20 ground beef. Excess grease hasn't been an issue.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    Options
    He (the fox!) could surely benefit from a bit of grease, looks quite thin! Beautiful animal though.