Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some ribs

Options
cooked a few slabs of BB's. Not the best looking slabs to choose from at the store , but they were cheap. BBBR and mopped with Tarheel Tang and glazed with Blues Hog Champ sauce to finish. Don't normally sauce them, but I like to mix it up. They were pretty good. The doneness was pretty close to perfect, but they weren't the best product to begin with. Thanks for lookin!

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Very Very nice!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    Great color Pete, look good, How do out like the Blues Hog Comp versus regular Blues Hog?
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    Very nice. What kind of raised grid is that and do you know if they make one for a medium?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    CincyTiki said:
    Great color Pete, look good, How do out like the Blues Hog Comp versus regular Blues Hog?
    Thanks! The mop helps me with color. I usually use Tennessee Red for the mop, but used the new Plowboys product this time. The comp is lighter and a little less sweet. It's a winner. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Very nice. What kind of raised grid is that and do you know if they make one for a medium?
    It's an off brand product. Something I picked up over the years. Thanks for the kind words. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love the look with the bite! Nice Pete!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @epcotisbest Primo used to offer one that fit the medium(I had one) that is 13 inches. I think they discontinued it. If I recall, it was $30 or so.

EDIT: it is a Grill Dome accessory, not Primo. They are a little more proud of it now. Also, it's 10 inches across, not 13.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @epcotisbest Primo used to offer one that fit the medium(I had one) that is 13 inches. I think they discontinued it. If I recall, it was $30 or so.

EDIT: it is a Grill Dome accessory, not Primo. They are a little more proud of it now. Also, it's 10 inches across, not 13.
    https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-GE-4000-Extender-Small/dp/B004JKNNGA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I did ribs today too, yours look great!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options

https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-GE-4000-Extender-Small/dp/B004JKNNGA
    Thank you for the link. Yeah, I bet that would work just fine. Might just have to order that as soon as my wife calms down about the three Akorn Jrs. and two Blackstone 17s I bought this week. (just one each for me, others for gifts)
    Now, if this raised grid could only help me turn out ribs as nice as @pgprescott  is making.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well you polished those turds, color is perfect!
    Are you gonna be at the shop Tuesday?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ribs look great to me. Ribs are unlike anything else. When they are good, they are great. When they are bad, they are still very good.
    Yours are the former, not the latter.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Ribs look great to me. Ribs are unlike anything else. When they are good, they are great. When they are bad, they are still very good.
    Then you haven't had BAD ribs. 

Little Rock, AR

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Great looking ribs. If you cook ribs on two levels like you did, do the juices from the top level drip down onto, and interfere with, the cooking on the lower tier? I assumed this would happen, which is what has put me off doing this in the past.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• pgprescott
    Options
    Great looking ribs. If you cook ribs on two levels like you did, do the juices from the top level drip down onto, and interfere with, the cooking on the lower tier? I assumed this would happen, which is what has put me off doing this in the past.
    Thanks @Stormbringer   
    They didn't seem to be a problem. Not saying something like that couldn't damage the bark, but was not an issue yesterday for me. They took a bit longer for some reason on top and I didn't rotate them at all. I cooked at 250 for several hours and then bumped to 300 when I started the mop. Seems to develop the color better at higher temp with the sugar in the mop. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Focker said:
    Thanks Brandon. 

No dice for me during the week. My wife will be there of course. Dad would love to see you. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

YukonRon said:
    Thanks Ron. They are my soft spot too! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Focker said:
    Thanks Brandon. 

No dice for me during the week. My wife will be there of course. Dad would love to see you. 
    Thanks.
    Always love seeing him.  :)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I could polish off a rack of those about now! Looks great! 
    XL BGE