Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn in the husk?

Options
any suggestions on how to do corn in husk on BGE?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    I cut the tip with the silk off, maybe 1/2" of husk.  Toss on the grill, let it go for a while and take off when it feels right and you've burnt off a few layers of husk.  Raised direct about 350 works for me.

Best way for me though is a 3 minute boil.  Water (lots of water) has to be boiling hard when you drop it in and only cook a couple at a time so you don't lose the boil.  No more than three minutes and out.  Eat right away.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Throw it on indirect. It will depend on what temp you are cooking at. I usually throw it on "top shelf" while I've got the protein down low. About an hour. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    I'll soak the corn in salt water for a while, then will throw it on a 450-550 dome temp, direct.  As soon as it's charred on all four sides, and you can kind of see the silhouette of the kernels through the husk.  Pull it off, let it cool enough to handle, and then pull the husks off.  I'll cut it off the cobs, put it in a big bowl with butter, salt, and parsley (or cilantro), then toss it.  If it needs a little more time, just nuke it in the microwave (covered), for a few minutes before serving.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I stick the ear on with zero prep and cook it until I start smelling roasted corn. Maybe 5-10 min at 400ish raised direct.

Boiled is still my favorite, though. Roasted, wrapped in foil at 350 for 30 min is really good too.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    If you're leaving the husk on the Egg's smoke buys you nothing.
    Cook's Illustrated just did an interesting experiment on cooking corn on the cob.  If the temp of the starches in the kernels reach 212 (boiling) they're hopelessly overcooked.  They recommended bringing a pot to boil, adding the shucked corn, then immediately killing the heat and leaving it alone; in ten minutes the corn is perfectly cooked.  What's extra-cool, is that 30 minutes later, the corn is still perfectly cooked in slightly cooler water (think, poor man's Sous Vide).  I'll be trying this tomorrow with my St. Louis ribs.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    Botch said:
    Cook's Illustrated just did an interesting experiment on cooking corn on the cob.  
    The same folks that say the BGE is an overpriced toy, and briquettes are better because lump is too expensive, burns too fast, and is uncontrollable. 

Still a good publication though......they just don't know a damn thing about BBQ.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Soak the corn in husk for up to 60 minutes, then on the egg at 350º-400ºF indirect usually for about 25-30 minutes. Pull, drop into an old cooler and serve when ready. Like @stlcharcoal said, if underdone in the nuke on 1/2 power it goes. 
    Lately the Trés Booblay (SV) get the fresh corn, set at about 185ºF with butter and salt and about 30 minutes. Out of the bag and onto the plate, no further seasoning needed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'll soak the corn in salt water for a while, then will throw it on a 450-550 dome temp, direct.  As soon as it's charred on all four sides, and you can kind of see the silhouette of the kernels through the husk.  Pull it off, let it cool enough to handle, and then pull the husks off.  I'll cut it off the cobs, put it in a big bowl with butter, salt, and parsley (or cilantro), then toss it.  If it needs a little more time, just nuke it in the microwave (covered), for a few minutes before serving.
    Gotta try that one. 

Little Rock, AR

• Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    I do it in the husk often enough that I can squeeze it and tell if its ready.  I've done it on pits with no thermometers, of varying sizes, and now more recently on my XLBGE.  We love it roasted in the husk, don't need to add butter or anything as the sweet buttery juices of the corn are enough.  Its a favorite side for sure.
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,862
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    No reason to soak, although I have. Now I typically throw in on, direct.. Flipping often until they get kind of burnt looking. They usually catch fire  =)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Botch said:
    Cook's Illustrated just did an interesting experiment on cooking corn on the cob.  If the temp of the starches in the kernels reach 212 (boiling) they're hopelessly overcooked.  They recommended bringing a pot to boil, adding the shucked corn, then immediately killing the heat and leaving it alone; in ten minutes the corn is perfectly cooked.  What's extra-cool, is that 30 minutes later, the corn is still perfectly cooked in slightly cooler water (think, poor man's Sous Vide).  I'll be trying this tomorrow with my St. Louis ribs.  
    I don't do corn on the cob very often, but this is the way I do it. Comes out perfect every time. Serve an ear to everyone, leave the "spares" in the water and seconds are great too.

Never tried it on the egg, or any other grill. Keep meaning to try the microwave method too, but haven't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do them in they husk in the oven a lot. Don't see a reason it wouldn't work on the egg- indirect. 

Nothing special but below you can find temps and time. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/oven-roasted-corn-on-the-cob-recipe-2103298

Greensboro, NC
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Botch said:
    I don't do corn on the cob very often, but this is the way I do it. Comes out perfect every time. Serve an ear to everyone, leave the "spares" in the water and seconds are great too.

Never tried it on the egg, or any other grill. Keep meaning to try the microwave method too, but haven't.
    Next time you boil corn add a cup of milk and stick of butter...best boiled corn I've ever made. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen