Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sturgis???

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
Obviously if someone from this forum is going today they can't answer now, but I wonder how many here HAVE been there before. Is it/was it as much fun as stories seem to support? 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I wanted to be around a bunch of men dressed in leather there are plenty of bars here in the Atlanta area that cater to that type of clientele. :smiley:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Highly likely any "Sturgis Broads" at Sturgis that looked like that are paid.
    edited August 2017
    Never been. Never plan to go.

Do recall reading an article a few years back talking about how much the event has changed over the years. The article talked about how Sturgis has become a lot like what Burning Man has become - a corporatized show for yuppies.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• And Ron, Sturgis is like Talladega, Disney World, and Vegas. 

1) It is EXACTLY what you make it.

2) I dont talk to my wife about any of those places, either. 

And @nolaegghead yeah most of them are little race bunnies pushing product 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• @HeavyG rich white people ruin everything  ;)

A bunch of guys from my Battalion went after we redeployed a few years ago. 

Two of us had big trucks and rode up with trailers as trail vehicles in case anyone had any issues. 

Not a bike guy so I didn't get a lot of the "excitement". 

But I do enjoy 9am cocktails and drunk boobies. 

Mother than that it's a $hit show. Like a less trashy Daytona Bike week. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Was there about 10 years back. 99.999 percent of the women were about as attractive as the second group, but were much closer in age to the first group. The beauty of The Black Hills made up for it, however.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Sounds like Burning Man, but for rednecks.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Of all the people I've become even remotely acquainted with since I've been here, probably the last one I would have expected to express an interest in Sturgis would have been Ron.

Unless it's the leather.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I don't like drunk topless redneck girls so I don't go, according to my wife. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    JethroVA said:
    That a wish of hers, or a command?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JethroVA said:
    @JethroVA your wife must not know much about women. 

As far as girls go, the drunk redneck ones are top shelf. You ever been to New York? (Shudders :s:s:s)

South of Nashville, TN

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    * inserted buffalo mating call sounds on another thread...
    I hear the sound of hooves.  Let's see if we can divert the beast elsewhere and keep this thread on life support until at least 10pm EST.  I might make it until the zzzzzzzzz (snort) What? What time is it? Who took my drink? Where are my pants? 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Not sure how "swinging" got in this thread but what ever floats your boat.....
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Punk town. Not my idea of fun. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ha ha ha! It is NOT MY boat!!! - You'll have to ask CarolinaQ - aka Michael who honestly has MORE SAVED pictures of me than my WIFE!!! Get my drift???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Methinks somebody doth protest too much - exactly what you would expect that someone in the closet would say. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Geezus, Ron, have a few too many glasses of chardonnay last night? You don't take ribbing well at all, do you? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    I rode out there in 2010, it was fun.  No different than any other large commercialized event.  You can find whatever it is that you are looking for.  If you want naked ladies, they are there.  If you want drugs, you can get them.  If you want to watch a bunch of fools get drunk and try to ride, yep they are there as well.  Or in our case meet up with a group of like minded friends that live around the country to enjoy the area, that is there as well.  I doubt I would go back during the rally dates, but I would return to ride the area again.  There is no need to judge people or call them "rednecks" just because they choose to do different things.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've been to Sturgis but not during the rally. I missed it by a day or two when out that way. It was cool seeing bike after bike down the interstate. I'd imagine the best time to go is outside rally week. I've been tempted to rent a motorcycle when out that way a few years ago for the hills. Beautiful area and even better if seeing it on a bike. I'd still like to go back out that way on my motorcycle but probably not during rally week. Too many bikers and drunks too worry about. I definitely recommend the area for anyone who hasn't been out to the badlands. If Sturgis gets you out that way do it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The Sturgis event was not in my wheelhouse very long. I left after less than 3 hours after arrival.
    Cold burger, two crappy warm beers, and an hour wait between brews, kinda ended it for me.
    That, and the two biker babes, with about a 250 pound mass each, stuffed in riding leathers two sizes too small, fist fighting in front of the women's room.
    Yeah, good times. Actually one of the last long rides I had made before selling my '98 Motoguzzi California.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    JethroVA said:
    Boss Lady told me the same thing. I'll have to visit via the Travel Channel.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Geezus, Ron, have a few too many glasses of chardonnay last night? You don't take ribbing well at all, do you? 
    Perhaps he's the one ribbing you back. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    thebike shop here loaded and shipped about 20 bikes, everyone flys there and meets up with their bike, i dont get it :o they ship bikes for daytona as well =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    RRP said:
    ha ha ha! It is NOT MY boat!!! - You'll have to ask CarolinaQ - aka Michael who honestly has MORE SAVED pictures of me than my WIFE!!! Get my drift???
    He was saying there's more but appear to be stuck together.  So, I dunno what's going on.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I went to Sturgis back when we lived in Nebraska. I used to have the Sturgis VA as a customer, and it was an amazing difference of that city any other week and when Th rally was going on.  There may not be a beer part of the country to ride in.  Go to Sturgis for the rides.  Go to Daytona for the scenery.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I was there in Dec of 95 when I was adopting my wife's son. It was a delightful town with plenty of parking. It was a little cold though. 
    Large and MiniMax Egg, 28" Blackstone Griddle

Franklin (South East), Va