Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland

Options
13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think the purpose of this thread is to playfully tease Ron about his reluctance in publicly (meaning on this forum vs PM) releasing any instructions on installing Rutland gasket because he wants to keep those instructions inclusive and exclusive with buying the gasket from him.  So to the general collective consciousness of the forum denizens, that's analogous to Mikee keeping his pizza dough recipe from everyone, even his own daughter.  Except Ron does give it out if you buy the gasket from him.  (at no profit, public service).  Etc. 

Silly, but just a theory. 
    Options
    While we're on the topic. Why is the Rutland only used on one half of the egg? The BGE gasket is on both halves. The Rutland is the same thickness of one half of the 2 BGE gaskets once it is bunched. Why do we not put the Rutland on both halves?
    I feel only having it on one half contributes to the underbite situation.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    I just ordered a 1000 foot roll.  Whatever Ron was selling them for, I'll sell the appropriate sections for half of whatever that was.  You just have to pay for shipping (probably was free before). 

Ill buy one just to read YOUR instructions...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    While we're on the topic. Why is the Rutland only used on one half of the egg? The BGE gasket is on both halves. The Rutland is the same thickness of one half of the 2 BGE gaskets once it is bunched. Why do we not put the Rutland on both halves?
    Having 2 BGE gaskets vs 1 Rutland gasket vs having NO gaskets contribute nothing to an overbite or underbite situation. Overbite/underbite is strictly a band adjustment issue.

There are several reasons that I suggest that the Rutland gasket only be applied to the base and not to the dome, though some people here disagree which is fine!

First is a matter of ease since gravity will make it easy to position the gasket into the adhesive, whereas without removing the dome from the band it would be difficult to apply to the dome.

Secondly, if you do remove the dome many people have trouble repositioning it in the band and messing with the tightening and adjustments necessary.

Thirdly, if the gasket were to start to fail then being on the bottom only there is far better chance that you will notice the deterioration every time you raised your dome – whereas if it were applied to the dome, you would not be so apt to notice the problem until it had gotten much worst.

BTW as for the fibers breaking on a flat braided gasket that has been properly attached I personally don’t think it will happen. As your gasket ages it becomes more solid due to the creosote in smoke, plus grease, charcoal dust that will settle and possible spills!

And one more reason from @Ozzie_Isaac  is: I would add the gasket on the bottom edge protects the egg from tools and other things that invariably hit the edge.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    You can find the instructions with photos for installing the Rutland gasket on the BGE here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

• RRP
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    You can find the instructions with photos for installing the Rutland gasket on the BGE here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Yes those are a condensed version of mine and TNW gave me credit. My written instructions however have been expanded greatly for people who would like more detail. Also that set is based using the latex Rutland adhesive which has proven to be crappy for this application.
  • RRP
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Having 2 BGE gaskets vs 1 Rutland gasket vs having NO gaskets contribute nothing to an overbite or underbite situation. Overbite/underbite is strictly a band adjustment issue.

There are several reasons that I suggest that the Rutland gasket only be applied to the base and not to the dome, though some people here disagree which is fine!

First is a matter of ease since gravity will make it easy to position the gasket into the adhesive, whereas without removing the dome from the band it would be difficult to apply to the dome.

Secondly, if you do remove the dome many people have trouble repositioning it in the band and messing with the tightening and adjustments necessary.

Thirdly, if the gasket were to start to fail then being on the bottom only there is far better chance that you will notice the deterioration every time you raised your dome – whereas if it were applied to the dome, you would not be so apt to notice the problem until it had gotten much worst.

BTW as for the fibers breaking on a flat braided gasket that has been properly attached I personally don’t think it will happen. As your gasket ages it becomes more solid due to the creosote in smoke, plus grease, charcoal dust that will settle and possible spills!

And one more reason from @Ozzie_Isaac  is: I would add the gasket on the bottom edge protects the egg from tools and other things that invariably hit the edge.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    We love you @RRP!  Never change man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    We love you @RRP!  Never change man!
    +1^^^^
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    There is a little piece of Ron in many Eggs.........Thanks Ron.........BTW I hear he really hand weaves every gasket 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian