Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron Mixon 'Jack's Old South Cooking School'

SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I have a couple questions for my forum friends who live in the south, namely in the general vicinity of Unadilla Georgia.

As my passion for BBQ grows, my thirst for knowledge follows just behind. I've been to Harry Soo's class twice, taken quite a few classes @ The Woodshed in Anaheim which were incredible and of course have learned quite a bit from this forum.

I think about bbq constantly, sometimes it's all I think about - hope my gf doesn't read this ... lol

I find myself wanting to attend Myron Mixon's 3 day class which he holds at his home in Georgia. I've done my research and all reviews say his school is second to none - I'm thinking @ $700 dollars it better be.

So my question is, what is there to do in the surrounding vicinity of Unadilla? I'll be traveling alone and I'd like to see some of the south in the 4 or 5 days I'll be there as I might not ever pass that way again ...

As I write this, I'm looking at a map of Unadilla, boy' ... it seems to be in the middle of nowhere ...lol

Tim 

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2017
    I used to live further southwest in Albany, GA.  There is NOTHING near Unadilla to do - other than enjoy cooking class and sipping bourbon.  Maybe have a Vidalia onion.  But isn't that the point of life?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    So some friendly advice. I haven't looked at his schedule (how the class is setup) but try to have one of your days fall on when he demonstrates how to prep a hog. Love him or hate him, he is as good as you will ever see at laying out a hog. In this category, he truly is second to none. Remember, there is a huge difference in "butchering" a hog and "prepping" a hog. 
    When it comes to prepping, he has this down to an art. Bomb him with questions, take pics if he will let you. At a minimum, push your way to the front of the class and stand right beside him when he demonstrates how to lay one out. He can show you a few prep tricks that have probably never crossed your mind. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Well....I would say that your best bet is to go there in the cooler months of the year like October / November. You don't want to be down there in the heat of the summer.

If you were planning a trip, i might suggest you consider headed up the coast to Savannah and on to Charleston.....two beautiful old cities....with some right good food. From there maybe head over to Columbia, where I would be happy to prepare you a good meal....maybe then over to Atlanta to visit some other forum breathern.....and catch the mother ship. Your other option might be to head south to Jacksonville and then on down the coast. Would be nice also in the fall months.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    SGH said:
    So some friendly advice. I haven't looked at his schedule (how the class is setup) but try to have one of your days fall on when he demonstrates how to prep a hog. Love him or hate him, he is as good as you will ever see at laying out a hog. In this category, he truly is second to none. Remember, there is a huge difference in "butchering" a hog and "prepping" a hog. 
    When it comes to prepping, he has this down to an art. Bomb him with questions, take pics if he will let you. At a minimum, push your way to the front of the class and stand right beside him when he demonstrates how to lay one out. He can show you a few prep tricks that have probably never crossed your mind. 

...and then go buy a bigass cooker so you can cook a whole hog.

Class sounds fun, good for you.
  • SoCalTim
    @SGH - I got hog on my mind! @northGAcock - Thank you, that's very kind of you. @Cookbook_Chip - thank you for your response. Bourbon sound great.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If you stop by Atlanta let me know there is always a meal here as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    No one on earth says damn more then Myron
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61 said:
    No one on earth says damn more then Myron
    Ya damn straight!

Little Rock, AR

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Or make it an extended trip and hit the Georgia Mountain Eggfest...that looks like it would be a blast. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    If you're heading South that way, stop at Exit 82 on I-75 and load up on sausages, rubs, and sauces at that Carroll's Country Store.  I haven't been disappointed with anything from there.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Look up BFE in the dictionary and it shows a map of Unadilla 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Go to Brisket Camp instead. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Apparently, mixon knows his stuff, but I wouldn't go across the street to see him, much less across the country! Not even if he paid me the $700! He11, I won't even watch him on TV!

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

[Okay, for $700 I probably would walk across the street.]

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Is spitting off a train (or a damn train) something that's commonly known to be easy?  I think there are gaps in my childhood, I don't know stuff.
  • Apparently, mixon knows his stuff, but I wouldn't go across the street to see him, much less across the country! Not even if he paid me the $700! He11, I won't even watch him on TV!

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

[Okay, for $700 I probably would walk across the street.]
    I would bet he's a lot different in person than his persona on TV. 

Little Rock, AR

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Who knows what he's like in person, but his TV personality cracks me up -- love the guy, and it sure sounds like he knows his stuff!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited July 2017
    @SoCalTim - If you have the ways and means, I would say "go for it" as the window of opportunity is in play here.  You don't want to be wondering "what if" if you don't strike while the iron is hot.
    And thanks for the suggestion- I will give this a serious look for 2018- Fall 2017 is otherwise committed for that weekend.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Legume said:
    Is spitting off a train (or a damn train) something that's commonly known to be easy?  I think there are gaps in my childhood, I don't know stuff.
    If you think about it, it depends which way your facing.   Two very different outcomes there.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SoCalTim
    Thanks to everyone who posted a comment and or suggestion on the Myron MIxon bbq class. I was talking to Harry Soo a few months ago and he told me Myron is nothing like the cocky abrasive persona that is portrayed, thou he did tell me his language can be very salty, but that's ok ... he is who he is. Thanks again. Tim
  • I wonder if spitting off a train is like puking from a car?  In college, I went on an overnight road trip around the state visiting friends that went to different schools and drinking.  I was sitting next to a fellow that had a lot to drink.  He informed the driver he had to puke.  The driver said we had to hurry to make the last bar for the night and suggested he puke out the window.  So he rolled down the window and while looking forward he hurled.  I wish cell phones with cameras were around back then.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I wish cell phones with cameras were around back then.
    I do to brother Fred. Back in the late 80's I was dating a very good looking waitress that worked at the Crazy Horse in Biloxi. I talked her into sticking her a$$ out the window and taking a dump while driving down I-10.  It was right at I-10 and I-110. I swear to God she done it. I would give anything to caught that on film.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SGH said:
    I do to brother Fred. Back in the late 80's I was dating a very good looking waitress that worked at the Crazy Horse in Biloxi. I talked her into sticking her a$$ out the window and taking a dump while driving down I-10.  It was right at I-10 and I-110. I swear to God she done it. I would give anything to caught that on film.  
    Oh, you must have dated Sally-Lou.  She is a hoot.
    SoCalTim said:
    Thanks to everyone who posted a comment and or suggestion on the Myron MIxon bbq class. I was talking to Harry Soo a few months ago and he told me Myron is nothing like the cocky abrasive persona that is portrayed, thou he did tell me his language can be very salty, but that's ok ... he is who he is. Thanks again. Tim
    I have a friend who took his class. Said it was awesome and he learned a ton. he's an egger for what it's worth. He made a point to say that Myron is nothing like what you see on TV. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2017
    SGH said:
    I talked her into sticking her a$$ out the window and taking a dump while driving down I-10.  It was right at I-10 and I-110. I swear to God she done it. I would give anything to caught that on film.  
    You talked her into flexing her anus?  That's shocking!  Shocking I tell you!!  I can picture you driving and handing her fast food napkins to tidy up.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SoCalTim
    Boy this post went south - real fast.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Myron may be great but I would try Johhny Trigg school instead as I am not into whole hog or injecting with a lot of stuff and Trigg is the best for pork ribs any way you want them.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I am not going to pay him $700.00 for three days of BBQ instruction. I can get that here on this site or off the internet and save my $700.00.
  • Legume
    I guess for anyone that missed it, the original question was this:

So my question is, what is there to do in the surrounding vicinity of Unadilla? I'll be traveling alone and I'd like to see some of the south in the 4 or 5 days I'll be there as I might not ever pass that way again ...

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Topic drift - it's a law of the universe.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk