Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Anova

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
looks like my Anova BT just went belly up. Was making some ginger syrup, and it was heating up water in a stock pot to 185F. Made it up to 178F, then made this R2D2 like sound and went dark. It's 2yo so likely out of warranty. 

I'll call Anova tomorrow and see what can be done. If anyone has any ideas for fixing it let me know. Otherwise I may be in the market for a Joule. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bummer. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's too bad. Hope they'll take care of you.

They don't make stuff like they used to. I have a Crock Pot™ that's so old, it's avocado green! I think it was purchased in 1970. Still works fine and is what I use for sous vide (with a digital temp controller). I imagine the Crock Pot will still be working long after the 1-2 year old DTC dies.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Hope you have better luck with customer service then I did about a year ago. They told me the unit was out of warranty and nothing they would do. I won't buy another ANOVA. 
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No direct experience with the ANOVA BT, but i do have two of the original ANOVA pipes, V1 and V2. If the BT is black when you try to power it and it has an IEC connector, might be worth a try to reset the connector at the unit. Old IT trick is to start to push the plug into the unit slightly out of alignment, maybe 10-20º. The male connectors in the unit will "scrape" the female sockets in the cord and allow a connection to be made. Happens with my V2 pipe all the time.... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @caliking
    Here's what they're going to ask you " is more than a year old? " At that point I wasn't real impressed. I asked if I could send in for repairs.  "We don't do that ." So you're pretty much on your own. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Too bad it didn't happen a couple of weeks ago. The Joule price was pretty low on Prime Day.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Suddenly feeling better about the anova I bought a couple of weeks ago.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    caliking said:
    No Joule for me. 
    Easy come, easy go.  :|

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    So you brought your Anova back from the dead?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Legume said:
    Suddenly feeling better about the anova I bought a couple of weeks ago.
    Mine is a year+ old and had nary a problem.

Probably just jinxed that now tho. :)

To any other Anova users that might be interested - I noticed a few months ago that there are a few manufacturers of cases for the unit. The one I bought was only $15 and I feel it is a better way to store the unit than what I had been doing - just tossing it into a Cambro on a shelf in the garage.

This is the one I got - I see the price is now $20 but there are others that are a few bucks either way of that price:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXZP59E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    Options
    @HeavyG thanks for the link. I needed a better way to store it. 

• caliking
    Options

As I once told a young lady who claimed she had never been sexually active, as the baby's head was crowning, " it's only ever happened once that we've heard of..."

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:

As I once told a young lady who claimed she had never been sexually active, as the baby's head was crowning, " it's only ever happened once that we've heard of..."
    If you just lay there, it makes you sexually inactive...but it still counts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Prayers sent to you and the family.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

If you just lay there, it makes you sexually inactive...but it still counts.
    That is true. And I've heard that one too.
     "I kinda lay there. He does everything. "
    Not kidding!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    While putting away my ASVPIPE1.2, made me think of your post and wondered if the BT has a fuse? Maybe it had just blown. Turns out it was a fuse, albeit a house breaker, but a fuse nonetheless. 
    Glad you are back in Trés Booblay land with a smile on your face. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    Options
    @Skiddymarker that damn electric kettle has caused trouble before.

The Anova is my back-up since the main SV (SVS Demi) had yogurt going in it, so I wasn't all that glum. Just a tad bummed that the Anova had lasted barely 2yrs. But glad to see that was not the case after all :)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    caliking said:

Pediatric OB?  I grew up in Houston.  It happens quite often on the SW side of town.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:

Pediatric OB?  I grew up in Houston.  It happens quite often on the SW side of town.
    Wrong hole.