Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst Meal You Were Forced to Eat???

Went to a party last night. Was told all the food was taken care of, so I enjoyed a rare occasion where I wasn't responsible for hours of prep and cooking. 

Arrived to the aroma of mustard and vinegar enveloping the house. (Like that "what is that smell" not in a good way)

One of the guys yanks foil out of a Crockpot and lays slabs of St Louis style pork ribs the color of a diseased toenail and meat so soft all the bones were way beyond falling out and says, "best ribs you'll ever have. Kansas City. Boom!"

My face:

I would have gotten a pic but I feared having to put one in my mouth. So I politely explained I was on a bourbon and chips and salsa diet. 

I assumed my wife was going to come and claw me and give me that, "make a plate and be nice" look. 

Instead she walked up and whispered, "uhhh....what else can I eat?"

So what's your worst "I got stuck eating X" meal?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I went to a restaurant with a group function and we all had prime rib, it was basically raw, and my shoe would have been more tender.  Everyone else said it was great.   The waiter was so proud of the meal, asked me how I likes it, I just showed him the plate full of napkins With meat ( I stopped after the second bite).

The mash potatoes were very good and I eat those.   The next year they went to the same restaurants, I skipped it.

To this day I cannot eat prime rib.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    @DoubleEgger that's great. A couple years ago my mother n law decided that she was going to make oyster dressing for thanksgiving. She was so proud and man it was so terrible. 
  • A Michelle Obama approved school lunch 

@DoubleEgger anyone who would take this away from a child is a monster. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    This is the reason I always say," I'll bring something"! So if all else fails I can munch on whatever I brought lol 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Liver. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jdsmithii
    jdsmithii Posts: 50
    Shake & Bake Pork Chops...cooked in the Crock Pot.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    My mom's goulash...... Still have no idea what was in it. I think it was basically all leftovers in the fridge with tons of tomato sauce.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Escargot cooked by someone who did not know how to cook. I also cannot eat or even really smell coleslaw drom an incident when I was a kid.
    Suwanee, GA
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Baccala (reconstituted dried salt cod) near Venice - it's traditional, but most unpleasant. Business lunch with some Italian suppliers, one of the guys brought his kids and his son commented very loudly that I wasn't eating very quickly.

Deep fried chickens' feet. Not nice, but with HK customers at their local lunch haunt and they were good guys, so I ate up.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    We have a two sets of couples / friends that have different styles of what they call Mexican food.  I am not going to lie, I hate authentic Mexican food which I find to be bland unless the obligatory hot peppers are thrown in, then it is just hot flavored bland food, on the other hand, the other set of Hispanic friends have embraced the Tex/Mex flavors and make outstanding food.  Just because someone is from name your country X, doesn't mean they are a culinary god.  LOL. 

So my worse meal is a taco containing bland, boiled meat of some sort with some bland black beans, paired with chips and a salsa that is bland that is so runny it looks more like tomato water. 

My wife is embarrassed when I ask for the chulula or texas pete, add jalapenos, cheese, and onions to help me get through the nasty taco and bean experience.  
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    My brisket  :);):o:s
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    When I was a kid I was forced to eat whatever was cooked for supper with no exceptions.  The worst was liver and onions served with boiled squash and okra.  I learned that if you held your breath when you ate it wasn't quite as bad, but this meal was so bad it literally made me gag while I was eating it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Fermented Tofu (aka Stinky Tofu) with coworkers in Beijing, did two bites to be polite as everyone was chowing down and gushing about how good it was, oh my....

Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I was newly divorced and very broke. For 10 cents I could buy a package of white label mac and cheese without a brand name. Today I still don't like mac and cheese. Boiled meat without any seasoning is also bad. I was told ribs had to be boiled or they would be tough and was served some just like Killit and Grillit had. I've had some awful tasting mystery meat.
    Cooking on the coast
  • CincyTiki said:
    Fermented Tofu (aka Stinky Tofu) with coworkers in Beijing, did two bites to be polite as everyone was chowing down and gushing about how good it was, oh my....

That looks...like an experience. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Hub said:
    When I was a kid I was forced to eat whatever was cooked for supper with no exceptions.  
    @Hub I grew up in the same type of house...and my mom is a HORRIBLE cook. I've choked down more dry chicken and Meatloaf with ketchup than I can remember. But liver is where I draw the line. 

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Difference between tofu and a bowling ball?
    If you absolutely had to, you could eat a bowling ball.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    How about goats eyeball and sausages made with goats intestines which were not cleaned as well as they should have been. I was living in Saudi Arabia at the time and it was supposed to be an honor for me. I didn't insult the host. But was sick for a few days afterwards.  
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• @Possumtrot we had a dish served to us like that in Afghanistan and one of my Soldiers was with me. 

Me: "Eat it, don't insult them"

Soldier: "sir, we are killing their indigenous population. I think we are way past insults. No way that goes in my mouth."

South of Nashville, TN

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    On a trip to Dallas, we visited a place called Snuffer's.  It's famous around there and I saw it on multiple "best of" lists.  It's got about a dozen locations.  We got a couple of appetizers and two different dishes, and it was all horrible, but we were in a hurry to get to a game.

I think they had a spice mix they put into everything, and we just didn't like it.  Maybe if you grew up with it, you loved it.  I'm that way about having that radioactive orange seasoned salt on crinkle fries.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    CincyTiki said:

That looks delicious!
    edited July 2017
    @Killit_and_Grillit. @nolaegghead. Fortunately the rest of the meal was delicious, stir fried frogs legs and Sichuan long beans with pork belly
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • @CincyTiki

Stop. You had me at stir fried frog legs. That looks awesome. 

How are those things even on the same menu? The tofu looks like a sliced piece of cow poop. 

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    I was hanging out with a creole buddy.  We drove up to Abita Springs and stopped at his friend's house out in the country.  He and a few other guys had a big hunting lease up there and they were all tight, many of them lived in the area.

The friend's wife asked us if we'd like some gumbo.  I love gumbo, I said hell yeah.

So I got a hot steaming bowl of gumbo.  It was crunchy from all the little bones.  I asked my buddy what meat was in it.  He said l probably didn't want to know.  But if he had to guess, it was turtle, tree-rat, coon, gar, maybe some nutria, etc. 

I really didn't need to know that, but didn't taste like any gumbo I ever had.  I choked it down to be polite and turned green.

My buddy passed a few years after Katrina.  He just finished rebuilding his house.  RIP Clifton Johnny Moore  - You could make a movie about this guy's life.

Image result for clifton johnny Moore new orleans
    Ate at an Argentinian restaurant a couple months ago, ordered "Beef stew on Gnocchi", plus a beef enpanada.  The enpanada came out first, and it was excellent.
    The stew came out, big pile of kinda heavy gnocchi, with three distinct "piles" under the tasty gravy.  The first pile was a tasty beef cut into slivers.  The second pile was a solid piece of beef that tough and tasted very "old", only ate a couple bites.  The third pile was extremely fatty, and after digging through it a bit realized it was just beef fat, about the size of a raquet ball.  I stopped eating at that point, ugh.
    I may go back someday, and just order 3 enpanadas.  The pizzas seemed to be popular at the other two occupied tables, maybe that too (argentinian pizzas?).  Haven't been too many other dishes I couldn't eat, unless they were my own.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    Not to hijack this thread, but here's a typical Johnny Moore story (and this is true):

Johnny was hunting deer one day.  He shot one, tracked it down.  It was lying on the ground, still alive.  He jumped on its back and reached for his knife.  The deer started getting up, he's hanging on to the deer's rack, riding the deer.  In the scuffle, his hunting rifle, slung over his back, gets the barrel jammed into the dirt (30-06).  And it goes off, blowing out the breech.  He manages to get his hunting knife out and stabs the deer in the neck.

He had the deer mounted with a plaque where he named the deer "Rodeo", and the remains of the gun hanging below it.

He built his own shrimp boat and was a huge fan of coffee and Wild Turkey.  We used to go out and drop the boards, catch shrimp, then fish.
    Baccala (reconstituted dried salt cod) near Venice - it's traditional, but most unpleasant. Business lunch with some Italian suppliers, one of the guys brought his kids and his son commented very loudly that I wasn't eating very quickly.

Deep fried chickens' feet. Not nice, but with HK customers at their local lunch haunt and they were good guys, so I ate up.
    My God we had this served to us a few weeks ago in Venice by a very proud chef. He stood over us smiling like "you are going to love this- it's authentic to Venice"! I seriously gagged and spit in in my napkin. Then everyone else did too. He was so deflated- looked like he'd lost his puppy. The place was empty while all the other horrible touristy restaurants around it were bustling. He explained to us that he was committed to doing authentic Venetian food. I hugged him and wished him luck as we left. Worst bite of food I have ever had in my life
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX