Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chargrilled oysters

I honestly think these Big Green Egg-ed oysters are the #1 most popular thing I teach in BBQ & Grilling classes. And I ate 2 dozen myself at midnight last night after class and ain't mad about it.

These oysters were grilled 4 minutes then finished with Banner Butter (Meat Church BBQ flavor), Meat Mitch Whomp & pepper jack.

Don't sleep on the steak either. Seasoned with Holy Cow. That was a man's steak for sure. 

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I've never been a fan of oysters, but these pics make me want to try them again. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wow I would kill those oysters!! Awesome pics
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    SciAggie said:
    I've never been a fan of oysters, but these pics make me want to try them again. 
    If my wife will eat them....you have to trust me on this one. She didn't like them previously. These are insane.

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I would inhale those oysters.......they look great!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    The last time I cooked oysters on the half shell in the egg, I realized I needed tongs a lot longer than any I currently have.  This post just reminded me that I still have not ordered the tongs........  The oysters look great.
  • My dad always told me to avoid oysters in months that don't have the letter R in them. 

This post just guaranteed me breaking that rule this weekend. Those look phenomenal. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SciAggie said:
    I've never been a fan of oysters... 
    If my wife will eat them....you have to trust me on this one. She didn't like them previously. These are insane. 
    Steak looks GREAT! But, I'm with @SciAggie. And Woody Allen. Your wife can have my serving of oysters. =)

Woody...“I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.”

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Can you explain the process? I want to make these! They look incredible 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Very nice cook,  never cooked them in the shell before.  The plate shot looks delicious.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    It all looks WONDERFUL!  I've only had oysters cooked in the shell once, Oysters Rockefeller at the place in New Orleans that supposedly invented it (can't remember the name of it, was many years ago).  Other than that once, only have had them raw or fried, but the grilled ones I've seen on this forum, notably including yours, look really, really good!  I'll have to try them sometime.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Nicely done Matt 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Can you post the recipe of the oysters? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks damn good Matt. The food service pan with oysters shot...are they in a bed of kosher or rock salt?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great cook and result right there.  Waiting on the follow-up for the oyster info.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I love oysters.    Great looking cook.   Steak doesn't look to bad either.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Beautiful.  I love grilled oysters, so easy and yes, totally different than raw - great for people that won't eat raw.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited July 2017
    My dad always told me to avoid oysters in months that don't have the letter R in them. 

This post just guaranteed me breaking that rule this weekend. Those look phenomenal. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit luckily that old adage your dad told you is no longer the case. The thought behind it was that 1) oysters spawn in the warmer waters in the summer time producing a less desireable oyster, and 2) warmer waters can lead to dangerous algae blooms (red tide for example) and baterea (such as vibrio). 

Now adays lots of aquaculturists/shellfish farmers are growing triploid oysters (especially in warmer water areas). They are essentially sterile, basically the oyster equivalent of a mule. This is great for us because not only does it mean that the oyster puts all of its energy into growing (meaning that we get our product out the door quicker) but it also means that we are putting out a consistent product year round by not selling milky oysters mid spawn. 

As for red tide and bacterea, regulation has come a long, long way in the past 10-20 years. As much as I hate it when the DEM shuts us down for 3 weeks because of a bacteria outbreak like they did last fall over extremely low readings, you can be damn sure that the oysters you're eating are safe (assuming you're getting them from a reputable farm of course). 

So basically this is just a long way of saying grill some of those bad boys up!
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Wow do they look good! i too can't wait for your cooking procedure! hanks for sharing
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • @ChillyWillis that may be the most informative thing that will get posted on this forum this whole month. 

I owe you a drink. 

Off to the market. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Milky oysters mid-spawn...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    SciAggie said:
    I've never been a fan of oysters... 
    Steak looks GREAT! But, I'm with @SciAggie. And Woody Allen. Your wife can have my serving of oysters. =)

Woody...“I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.”

Woody is an effing idiot on this score.

Oysters look amazing Matt!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Nice job Matt- all looks killer as always. Hope you are well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2017
    Milky oysters mid-spawn...
    It sure paints a picture, doesn't it    =)
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited July 2017
    I wish I was better at shucking oysters :| They look delicious and I'd definitely give them a whirl
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    With oysters we always put a sheet of metal over the fire and dumped the oysters on it. They pop open and make it easy to shuck but still have salt in them.
    Other reason for r months only, oysters go bad very quick in summer heat laying in the bottom of a boat.
    Those look great.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • ChillyWillis
    edited July 2017
    BikerBob said:
    Other reason for r months only, oysters go bad very quick in summer heat laying in the bottom of a boat.
    You are right about this, but it's only an issue for those who go out and find their own oysters. There are strict rules about how long you are allowed to have your oysters out of the water in the summer months if you own a shellfish farm. The rules vary from state to state but you'll never see oysters sitting out in the sun ever now adays. For example, in MA between April and October all shellfish ready to be sold must be out of the water, sorted, and on ice within 2 hours of being pulled from the water. If the oysters are out longer than that they have to be put back in the water and can't be sold for another 10 days. Also, all sorting and bagging for sale needs to take place under a roof or canopy so that the oysters are not exposed to direct sunlight during the packing process.  

When it it comes to amateur shellfishers, however this is one of the main causes of food poisoning. If you are going out claming this summer when you're at the beach pack a cheap cooler with ice, put it in the cheapest inflatable kids toy you can find, tie it to your belt loop and drag it behind you while you work. It'll keep all your spoils ice cold and save youreself a serious case of the $hits
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Dude, I'm speechless. That looks so damn good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @MeatChurch I tried these a while back and loved them. I just bought another batch of oysters to cook tomorrow. You’re right. These are really good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Wow that all looks amazing 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.