Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some pictures from our 2017 USA Road Trip ... part 1

We started in Seattle, went through Clarkston and Missoula to Gardiner, spent a week in Yellowstone. Then down to Boise, over to Portland, up through the Olympic Peninsula and back to Seattle. A truly amazing road trip that topped last year, something I didn't think was possible.

As with last year's road trip, SWMBO took around 6000 photos. Here is a first selection, more to come when she's sorted them out.

Lake at Snoqualmie Pass en route to Clarkston:

On route 12 going through the Clearwater National Forest:

Sunset at Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone:

Sunrise the next day at Mammoth Hot Springs, overlook plateau:

It snowed whilst we were there:

And a few more landscapes:

Lake Yellowstone, just south of the Lake Hotel:

We saw a fair amount of wildlife:

Thanks for looking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Awesome pics.  Next time, I recommend giving the little bear cub come honey to lure it to you and see if it'll let you pet it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Incredible Pics dont forget to feed the wildlife
    O-Town, FL

• Man those pictures are unreal. Your wife knows what she's doing with that camera. Sounds like a great road trip. 
    Snellville, GA

• I can see the slobber on the bears whiskers. How far away was that taken? 
    Snellville, GA

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Your wife is a fantastic photographer!  Amazing pics.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Excellent! Thanks for posting!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks like an amazing trip- thanks for sharing your adventure. Let me know when your going next year :)
    Greensboro, NC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2017
    Phenomenal pics, thanks for sharing.

What are you shooting with?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    beautiful!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Spectacular. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    OT OT OT. Damnit you forgot OT. 

Great pics, looked like an awesome trip. RV? Camper?
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Bravo!!!

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Phenomenal photography!
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, folks.

@Eggdicted_Dawgfan that bear was about 150 yards away. The sun was in the perfect place, around 2 o'clock relative to the bear. It also wasn't moving and SWMBO had managed to get the camera stable on some rocks (see tripod comment below to Acn).

@Wolfpack we're already booked into Yellowstone accommodation for next June. On June 13th 2018 the core of the galaxy will be visible from Lake Yellowstone at a 14 degree inclination, so providing there's little cloud it should be perfect viewing conditions. It's this (not taken by us ... yet):

@Acn we use a Canon D60 with Tamron wide angle lens for landscape shots and D80 for everything else. The D80 has a Canon zoom lens and also a Sigma 150 x 600 zoom. The one thing we learned this holiday is to get better tripods, the picture below is of four wolves from a pack trying to take down a bison, it was about a mile away and the wobble on the tripod made it very blurred.

We were taken around Yellowstone by a professional photographer (Deby Dixon, highly recommend her) and she had some Manfrotto tripods. Those things are rock solid.

@GrillSgt we were in a Mitsubishi Sante Fe, staying in motels. No chains, unless we had no choice, ones worth mentioning as they were fantastic:

Missoula - Gibson Mansion
    Gardiner/Yellowstone - Yellowstone Village Inn
    Boise - Anniversary Inn
    Portland - Benson Hotel (ok it's a hotel, but it was lovely)
    Olympia - Manitou Lodge, near Forks

This is about half of the trip. SWMBO is still working on the other half. :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• @Stormbringer those are some very nice tools you have. Hopefully that buffalo put those wolves in their place like our buffalo does around here. Looking forward to the 2nd half of the pics. 
    Snellville, GA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2017
    Very nice pics. I agree about the tripods. A quality carbon fiber (fibre for you folks) tripod with a good head is a must. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    These images captured are astounding. I love Yellowstone. It is visual sensory overload, as each time you pass the most cool or the most beautiful Vista, you have ever seen in your life, around the corner or over the hill is the next most cool thing or beautiful view ever.
    Thank you for sharing. Sometimes people forget how beautiful and diverse our country is.
    Awesome trip, I hope you enjoyed the experience. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited July 2017
    @stormbringer Take a look at a Ravelli tripod. Solid as a rock, and you won't feel so bad when you finally shove it into the back of the closet after lugging it over hill and dale for a few years...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,008
    @DoubleEgger that's what we're going for. The aluminum ones just weren't cutting it.

@Eggdicted_Dawgfan the wolves were sent packing that day, yes. It was fascinating to watch their strategy though, four of them went for a female, drawing the males away from the herd. Then from the undergrowth three wolves appeared and went for the calves, however the males saw this and when back to the herd. The wolves bugged out at that point. All the while a coyote was watching from a distance, hoping that something would get taken down and there would be scraps left over. I always thought wildlife documentaries spliced footage together to show this sort of stuff but nope, it all unraveled in front of us.

@Kayak thanks, we'll look into it. We have got a Manfrotto tripod for one of the cameras, we still need two more for the other camera and the spotting scope.

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Wow. Absolutely beautiful pics
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,008
    YukonRon said:
    Sometimes people forget how beautiful and diverse our country is.
    ^^ this. I've started reading Blue Highways by Williams Least Heat-Moon, his journey is one to aspire to. The depth and breadth of culture, scenery and climate that he experienced is inspirational.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thank you for the post. Please keep them coming. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Awesome photos.  We have such a beautiful country - love that part of it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    America THE Beautiful
    New Albany, Ohio 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Seeing your post about part 2 of your road trip had me searching for part 1.  Is it possible that you could provide a windows desktop wallpaper service?  Yours is better than what microsoft finds to put up there!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Beautiful Photos of a scenic part of this great country. Thanks  
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Wonderful pics. Wish I could get out that way more often.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Beautiful shots....love the wildlife.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Great pics.  Thanks for sharing!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA