Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt question

Options
Doing a turbo butt today for a pool party for about 15 people. Will a 9lb butt be enough?  Also doing a spatchcock chicken. Trying rob decide if I need to run and get another one. Maybe a little smaller. Thanks!
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    In theory, it should be enough, but it depends on how many adults, and kids. Any big eaters?  Will there be lots of sides? Personally, I would cook two and have leftovers. 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 908
    Options
    My standard party rule is ½ pound of meat per person, so you should be fine.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks guys. There will be sides. We are doing sliders so I'm thinking that should be enough. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
    Options
    You should be fine.  There won't be leftovers.  Enjoy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Just found out more people are coming. Looks like I'm going to the store real quick.  Better safe than sorry 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Chickens are a great backup, as you can bang them out fast.  Dark meat is more forgiving regarding done temp and holding time, if that helps
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    You usually get a 50% yield out of a but once you cook it and remove the bone. Using that arithmitic....4.5 pounds. I use 6 ounce portion average assuming you have weemins in the mix. This would yield ya 12 portions. I have now stretched my brain way past my plans for the day. Have fun!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow