Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: no joke...asking an OT question...OK? NO JOKE!!! :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
anybody use a 1 amp automatic battery charger for a car which NEVER gets started over the winter months?
 Had to buy a new battery today and the dude at InterState Battery said in the future then over-wintering even with the disconnect I use on my battery this automatic trickle charger will pay for itself, blah blah blah. He was nice and really helped me today so I bought it. Honestly I plan to return it unopened on Monday and get my $44 back unless someone convinces me otherwise. 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Maybe a car forum?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This type of charger is very commonly used on motor cycles in winter.
    A friend up north has it plugged into one of the light bulbs in his garage door opener.
    Every time the garage door is opened the battery is charged for 5 minutes or so. Others use a timer. Others swear by removing battery and storing on wooden shelf, not the ground.
    Who knows what works better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Options
    Legume said:
    Maybe a car forum?
    Oh, I agree. Just seems like many times there are guys here with such diverse knowledge and life experiences that there is such a wealth of knowledge that people like to share! Hey, that's even the reason I posted it on the OFF TOPIC forum with even a further warning with my OT at the start and the OT at the end! Guess if that STILL offended you after all those warnings then so be it.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    My FIL had a rarely used Vette and kept a trickle charger on it. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    At considerable risk of jinxing myself here, I have a battery in my John Deere lawn tractor I haven't touched since I bought it in 2001.  It's parked in an unheated shed when not in use.  I do not use from November until sometime in April and the battery stays in it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Is this some kind of a joke?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Depends on the charger. You need a smart charger that keeps the battery up to Voltage but doesn't over charge it. If your new charger is a constant 1 Amp, that's not much use for maintenance. If it's a 1 Amp smart charger, it's OK. Disconnecting the battery also works for quite long periods, but is more of a PITA than fixing some terminals to the battery and plugging it in when needed.

I would spend a bit more money anyway and buy a higher capacity unit so you can charge as well as maintain. A 7 A smart charger would cover a lot more bases. I like CTEK chargers. http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    If you decide to keep a trickle charger on it, get the Battery Tender brand. I have tried a Stanley and didn't seem like it shutoff and trashed a battery. My friend swears by the Battery Tender for his 10+ items he stores for part of the year. When you look around his shop you think he bought stock in the company. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    We leave a car in Florida and use a battery tender on it. I believe it is a good idea
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I use a smart charger on my front gate operator battery. It's 115V with battery backup. Works fine. This isn't that uncommon to to use a charger to keep the battery healthy. 
    Is this some kind of a joke?
    Agree!

https://www.google.com/search?q=1+amp+trickle+charger+for+car+that's+not+used+in+the+winter

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Another vote for battery tender. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Being that I was in the auto parts business for 17 years before switching to IT, I can highly recommend a battery tender. It will actively "duty cycle" the battery when needed which will keep it in optimal condition. 

One of the largest killers of a battery is inactivity. I have these devices on my riding mower in the winter and kept one on my boat batteries when I had it. 

Keep it and use it. 

And nice choice in Interstate. Interstate and Deka are the two best battery manufacturers out there 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Costco has a Deltran brand battery charger for cars, not the junior. Fully automatic and does AGM batteries as well.
    I have my MB SL hooked up to it in the basement all winter long and worry free. I know the MB guys are ga ga over the Ctek, but it is inferior to our own US made Deltran. 
    Get one, hook it up and forget about it. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    A co worker has a battery tender (I think that may even be the brand) o his Harley, claims it works very well !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    As long as it does not over charge the battery you'll be fine. I used to unhook the battery on my riding mower after I cut the grass for the last time of the season. The battery would only last about two years. Put a quick disconnect and now I unplug it after every use, now the same model battery lasts four years. Speaking of batteries, since car batteries only last about four years, am I the only one who changes them about 6 months before that? It seems that they die at the worst possible time.
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    If you decide to keep a trickle charger on it, get the Battery Tender brand. I have tried a Stanley and didn't seem like it shutoff and trashed a battery. My friend swears by the Battery Tender for his 10+ items he stores for part of the year. When you look around his shop you think he bought stock in the company. 
    +1 On the Battery Tender

XL BGE
    MD
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    RRP said:
    Legume said:
    Maybe a car forum?
    Oh, I agree. Just seems like many times there are guys here with such diverse knowledge and life experiences that there is such a wealth of knowledge that people like to share! Hey, that's even the reason I posted it on the OFF TOPIC forum with even a further warning with my OT at the start and the OT at the end! Guess if that STILL offended you after all those warnings then so be it.
    You can unbunch your panties Ron, I was not offended by a question about a battery charger, lol.  It was just a suggestion for where you might find the kind of info you are looking for.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    You want to get a multi stage charger with microprocessor.  If you're only using it for maintenance and not jump starting, the less amps the better.    Battery Tender is legit as other have mentioned, but there are some other brands.  You should only be out $20-25 for a good trickle charger
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I park my Saab convertible over the winter; once every two months or so I start it and drive for half an hour or so; that keeps the battery charged and gets oils and gas lines circulating a bit, I feel that's a good thing to do.
    My battery died in 2012 while I was in Tooele UT for Reserve duty, the folks at AutoZone sold me a new one and changed it out for me.  As he was removing the old battery he made a screwy face and asked me, "You've been buying batteries at the dealership?!?"  It was a Saab-branded battery.  I said no, and he looked at the date: it was the original battery, lasted eleven years!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    @SemolinaPilchard said:
    Speaking of batteries, since car batteries only last about four years, am I the only one who changes them about 6 months before that? It seems that they die at the worst possible time.
    I'm not in the early change camp but one afternoon last fall I recalled that I should change the car battery before winter as it had been about 6 years (no indications of any issues).  Of course, the next AM, with no warning, dead battery.  Somehow that prescience has failed in other situations.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @lousubcap the gut is never wrong.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    In my opinion letting the car set-up is the worst thing you can do to it. Just go out there and start it once every few weeks let it run for 30 minutes. Burn off some of the moisture in the crankcase and charge the battery. I know how organized you are just make it part of your regiment. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations. After studying them I ended up ordering one from CTEK that @Eoin suggested. Taking the 1 AMP back to Interstate for refund tomorrow. Only took me 90 minutes today to remove the front fender panel and replace the battery. Would have been quicker but I had the dropsies and played seek and retrieve slowing me down!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    On my tractors I use a charger that has a "trickle charge" setting. It will constantly put 2 amps to the battery. It has a built in feature that will bump this to as high as 10 amps if the need arises. From what I understand it is always putting out 2 amps until the sensor tells it to give more (for whatever reason).  
    I know you asked about cars, but I have been doing this on tractors since the 70's. This is certainly not the norm, but we got almost 30 years out of the battery in our 1979 John Deere 850. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    You have been struck by the Buffalo.   

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    You caught that too, huh?
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    Wonder what the Buffalo has against batteries?

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    Wonder what the Buffalo has against batteries?
    LOL