Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Navymom said:
    I don't think the stores themselves sell it.  H-E-B's sell all of whataburgers priducts. 
    HEB will ship the Whataburger products to all states except Calif. They were advertising free shipping recently with a $49 purchase (I think that was the amount). 
    I've been out here 30 years and I will be relocating back to Louisiana or Texas before much longer and this is another reason why.  It's all based on Proposition 65 and reducing exposure to Carcinogens.   I'll move to a place where I can enjoy what I want when I want....besides, we're all terminal anyway.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I just found the whattaburger spicy ketchup on amazon. 3 bottles for $18 with prime shipping. Not sure if that's a good deal or not in Texas but it works for me in RI. Sold!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    beteez said:
    Just a total home run from @northGAcock I was beyond thrilled to pull the first yellow bottle out of the box last night. SC style BBQ is not something I see a lot of in Texas and I love mustard sauce. Everything he sent was local/regional. He also mixed it up with some non BBQ items. A nice touch. I'm most excited to try the cocktail sauce. We're Trying to eat more seafood and less brisket these days. That sauce will be perfect with gulf shrimp or oysters. 

With that said,I cracked open Maurice's original and willies hog dust on two pork tenderloins tonight. Wife and kids dominated it. Will do a butt soon to sample the shealys vinegar (from sc's bbq brother to the north). Likely will pair that with onion rings, a family favorite. 

thanks to @cazzy for putting this together. It's such a cool annual deal.  So glad I got into it last year and did it again. Thanks to Robin, whom I've never met and went above and beyond to get me things that he liked, were local, interesting (pork rind pellets) and generally awesome. My wife thinks having internet friends is a lot less weird when they send BBQ. 

Guess who already had titos on hand?

It was my pleasure @Space_City_Egger and hope you and family will enjoy it all. Curious to no about the pork pellets myself. Never tried these, but when I saw them, I had to grab it. We eat our porkskins around here hot with a nice dip into the mustard sauce. Hope they don't disappoint. I  enjoyed collecting these items for you.....and wish you guys a happy 4th of July!
    Went to PC with Willie a great guy & the pellets are killer as is his rub.
    A Blue Hose you are? Good to know. I like all of his products with the exception of the Bloody Mary Mix. There are far better availalbe on that front....but don't feel the need to tell him I said that. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Legume said:
    You people need to leave our HEB stuff alone.  It's horrible, you wouldn't like it.  Any of it.

You need to get with HEB.  Just had a shipment arrive from them.  They do a great job at on-line order fulfillment.   FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well sh it!

Fortunately everything was intact but the honey. Some how the lid unscrewed itself and smothered everything. Quick wash down and I think everything else should be good. 

Shout out to Charlie aka @charliebatutis
    Funny that I got a package from you as I will be rolling through your town next week on my way to Ponca AR for a camping trip. Really looking forward to trying the strawberry rub and the red bell pepper rub. I went to college a couple miles south of where country Bob's is from so I'm very familiar with it. Thanks again! 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I like reading the letters everyone sends as much as I like looking at the rubs and sauces.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I like reading the letters everyone sends as much as I like looking at the rubs and sauces.  
    Grillin .....don't be reading other people's mail ;)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Legume said:
    You people need to leave our HEB stuff alone.  It's horrible, you wouldn't like it.  Any of it.

You need to get with HEB.  Just had a shipment arrive from them.  They do a great job at on-line order fulfillment.   FWIW-

Lies.  Damn lies.  I know for a fact they use a roomful of gorillas to pack and ship all of their expired stuff when it's going out of state.  Better if you just leave it all here in Texas.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Proser said:
    Lucky me I came home to two boxes from @jabam loaded up with California rubs and sauces. I am amazed at the generosity of the members here. Jeff sent me a lot of his favorites as well as some he discovered while shopping. This is my third year doing this exchange and have gotten some items that have become my favorites can't wait to try these. 

Thanks again to @cazzy and @northGAcock for organizing this exchange 

Glad everything made it intact. I got a little nervous when the wife said she didn't tell them it was fragile when she mailed them. Lol

Enjoy!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Came home to some wonderful loot waiting for me! @mwatts knocked it out of the park with some Alabama based goodness. I can't wait to get started. It's peak green 'mater season in Indiana right now and I just happen to have a couple sitting on the counter. I think that's where I'll start. 

Thank you very much @mwatts. You did outstanding! ROLL TIDE

The white sauce is great on pulled chicken. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jabam said:
    Proser said:
    Lucky me I came home to two boxes from @jabam loaded up with California rubs and sauces. I am amazed at the generosity of the members here. Jeff sent me a lot of his favorites as well as some he discovered while shopping. This is my third year doing this exchange and have gotten some items that have become my favorites can't wait to try these. 

Glad everything made it intact. I got a little nervous when the wife said she didn't tell them it was fragile when she mailed them. Lol

Enjoy!
    Nice package(s). You had a great draw @Proser

@jabam hooked me up with some of those last year. A shout out to my Left Coast friend.....hope you are well.

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jabam said:
    Proser said:

Enjoy!

@jabam hooked me up with some of those last year. A shout out to my Left Coast friend.....hope you are well.
    Yep,  I am looking forward to trying one of the chicken rubs tomorrow with the Miners Mix on some veggies

Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    jabam said:
    Proser said:

Enjoy!

Thanks Robin, we are good! Haven't been on the forum much lately, life happens. Hope all is well with you and the family. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know @NPHuskerFL made marinades. I'll have to find out where to get that. 

@Tspud1 I've never used it with the egg. I got it for my electric smoker as its wood chip smoking method really sucked. I just use the smoker for a warming rack now or if I need to do lots of protein. To be fair my wife packed it while I watched and mainly just got in her way.

Lots of videos on YouTube and it can be used just about anywhere even in a cardboard box for cold smoking. Best used though as supplemental smoke on other devices even a gasser like @Budgeezer does.

I have 4 cooker in yard but have never used tube in Egg or JoeJr, didn't know if there was enough air for it To work 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    The white sauce is great on pulled chicken. 
    It's even better when you throw a little Franks in as well. Franks and the white sauce is a killer combo. 
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    I have some friends that moved to Bartlesville OK. They get heb shipped all the time. Every order includes heb kettle cooked jalapeño chips. Every order. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I got home from St Louis late last night and found out a package had arrived from Tennessee. Whatever could that be? :)

@Killit_and_Grillit definitley killed it, now I guess I have to grill it. 

Here's the big picture

Sorry for the bad picture I broke the box down into its major food groups so you can see some finer details.

The Sauce group:

Looking forward to the Spicy BBQ Sauce and can't wait to try the game marinade on some venison roasts from last fall. Great choices

The Rub Group:

These all look killer and I appreciate the thought that went into finding some lower sodium options.  There may or may not be a sample bag of an experimental rub but I won't confirm this as I would never want to implicate anyone in a rule infraction however I certainly intend to try it (if it exists) ASAP. 

The Sweet Group:

Moon Pie and Goo Goo cluster. Love them and I haven't had a GGC since I was a kid and we travelled to Florida. Looking forward to trying the jams if my teenagers don't get ahold of them and use a jar per slice of toast. Kids...

The Beverage Group:

I became quite familiar with JD in my younger days and I guess it's time to renew our aquaintanceship. But the moonshine is what I'm looking forward to trying. Plus I appreciate the beer sweaters. They are always handy to keep your beer from freezing when you're ice fishing so they will be put to good use. 

And finally, the 'Merica Group:

So why Dukes?  Well, because I like it and you sure can't get it in Canada. And thank you for the flag. I will be sure to wave it on Tuesday as I drink the Moonshine and enjoy some BBQ. The people at the office are gonna think I'm a bit off but they will be used to it by now. 

And I forgot to include a close up of the T-shirt but I think you can see the detail in the big picture. I suspect that may be your business?

In all, thanks for a great package. I'm admittedly amazed that it came without a scratch. I can't wait to try them out this weekend. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    As you might remember, when I sent a package to Coobook Chip, the top came off of one of the 2sisters sauce jars. I contacted the company and they sent two replacements to me and two to Chip. Mine arrived in perfect shape a few minutes ago and hopefully Chip's did also. That is outstanding customer service. Their site is www.2SistersSalsa.com. Hopefully I am not violating site policy by posting a commercial link but excellent service deserves notice.

I hope everybody is putting their new sauces and rubs to use. I might get off my wallet and buy a steak. That steak seasoning Chip sent is calling my name. I can't wait until next year. Thanks Cazzy.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    gmac said:
    I got home from St Louis late last night and found out a package had arrived from Tennessee. Whatever could that be? :)

@Killit_and_Grillit definitley killed it, now I guess I have to grill it. 

Here's the big picture

Sorry for the bad picture I broke the box down into its major food groups so you can see some finer details.

The Sauce group:

Looking forward to the Spicy BBQ Sauce and can't wait to try the game marinade on some venison roasts from last fall. Great choices

The Rub Group:

These all look killer and I appreciate the thought that went into finding some lower sodium options.  There may or may not be a sample bag of an experimental rub but I won't confirm this as I would never want to implicate anyone in a rule infraction however I certainly intend to try it (if it exists) ASAP. 

The Sweet Group:

Moon Pie and Goo Goo cluster. Love them and I haven't had a GGC since I was a kid and we travelled to Florida. Looking forward to trying the jams if my teenagers don't get ahold of them and use a jar per slice of toast. Kids...

The Beverage Group:

I became quite familiar with JD in my younger days and I guess it's time to renew our aquaintanceship. But the moonshine is what I'm looking forward to trying. Plus I appreciate the beer sweaters. They are always handy to keep your beer from freezing when you're ice fishing so they will be put to good use. 

And finally, the 'Merica Group:

So why Dukes?  Well, because I like it and you sure can't get it in Canada. And thank you for the flag. I will be sure to wave it on Tuesday as I drink the Moonshine and enjoy some BBQ. The people at the office are gonna think I'm a bit off but they will be used to it by now. 

And I forgot to include a close up of the T-shirt but I think you can see the detail in the big picture. I suspect that may be your business?

In all, thanks for a great package. I'm admittedly amazed that it came without a scratch. I can't wait to try them out this weekend. 
    The Moon Pie....classic!

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit NO RC cola?? Jk - nice delivery.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    As you might remember, when I sent a package to Coobook Chip, the top came off of one of the 2sisters sauce jars. I contacted the company and they sent two replacements to me and two to Chip. Mine arrived in perfect shape a few minutes ago and hopefully Chip's did also. That is outstanding customer service. Their site is www.2SistersSalsa.com. Hopefully I am not violating site policy by posting a commercial link but excellent service deserves notice.

I hope everybody is putting their new sauces and rubs to use. I might get off my wallet and buy a steak. That steak seasoning Chip sent is calling my name. I can't wait until next year. Thanks Cazzy.
    Yep!  Mine came today, too. With a handwritten card.  Excellent service and trying that sauce tonight!!  Thanks again, Brad!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    You're welcome Chip. I just bought a ribeye to try out that steak seasoning that you sent. Time to break out the cast iron grate. No sauce I think.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @gmac enjoy it man!  Glad to see everything made it in one piece. Yeah that shirt was just to keep the glass from banging together. 

Dont let those little heathens get that blackberry jelly. That's the good stuff. The peach is good too but it's got a bit more cinnamon in it than I usually prefer. 

I realized after I sent it I had bought some guitar picks from downtown Nashville for your kid that's playing the bass. Then I found them in my floorboard of my SUV when cleaning it the other day. Maybe next year!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If my Elf is wondering about me receiving my gift... the package left Nashville on Thursday morning at 7am and still hasn't been scanned in the Franklin facility. 

I'll run down on Monday and see if they can find it sitting in a bin somewhere...that's 3 days to make it 15 miles, even for the Federal govt that seems a bit inefficient. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Lot of great stuff...thanks @cazzy for your efforts 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I

If a forum name was in the box somewhere,  I did not see it.  I know it came from Florida. Thank you very much to my elf!  I have heard so many good things about Oakridge rubs but have never tried them.  I can't wait.   I also look forward to the taste of Florida in the caribeque seasonings.  They all look to be right up my alley. I like the chimney starter as well. It will certainly help when the need to get things going hot and quick arises. 

Thanks @cazzy and assistant @northGAcock!

Until next year.  . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I

If a forum name was in the box somewhere,  I did not see it.  I know it came from Florida. Thank you very much to my elf!  I have heard so many good things about Oakridge rubs but have never tried them.  I can't wait.   I also look forward to the taste of Florida in the caribeque seasonings.  They all look to be right up my alley. I like the chimney starter as well. It will certainly help when the need to get things going hot and quick arises. 

Until next year.  . . 

Great darn job @HofstraJet
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    cazzy said:
    kl8ton said:
    I

Until next year.  . . 

Great darn job @HofstraJet
      Thanks @HofstraJet !
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI