Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cordless Power Tools

DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
This should generate some interesting discussion...

My 15-20yr old Dewalt cordless tools are on their last leg and my right angle drill just smoked out in my hand. Thought it was going to catch fire. It's time to commit to a power tool brand all over again since the batteries are so expensive. What's the best stuff out there for someone who uses their tools hard not just lightweight 14.4v homeowner stuff? I'm not springing for Hilti so let's keep it between the regular brands like Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc. 

Comments

• My old 18 DeWalt with the big batteries are on their last leg. I'm thinking about getting rid of them and getting the new battery set up.

My dad has them and they are beasts. I was using his skill saw and sawsall on a backyard project and ran them on and off for two hours with 2 fully charged batteries. Also the drill is lighter so I don't drop it on my face as much while hanging light fixtures...so there's that.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    My old 18 DeWalt with the big batteries are on their last leg. I'm thinking about getting rid of them and getting the new battery set up.

My dad has them and they are beasts. I was using his skill saw and sawsall on a backyard project and ran them on and off for two hours with 2 fully charged batteries. Also the drill is lighter so I don't drop it on my face as much while hanging light fixtures...so there's that.
    The new Dewalt? The 60v? 
  • He has the 60s for the saws and the smaller ones are 20s. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I do a ton of wood working and hands down the best tools out there (IMHO) are the Milwaukee cordless series.

i have several of the 12v series, which are very light weight and durable. Notably the screw gun which I have out countless hours on. And even the 12v 5 3/4 skill saw. It rips plywood and 2x4 with ease and is the lightest saw I've ever used

i also have some of the 18v series which is great for the drill and grinder
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    A very timely thread.  Just before we moved in to our remodeled home, all my rigid cordless power tools were stolen from the garage.  I had 10ish batteries, 3 chargers, 2 recip saws, circular saw, jig saw, 3 drills, 3 chargers, etc.  Little did the thief know, all batteries were junk.  The tools were probably 4 generations old.  

I am also on the hunt.  I did quickly purchase the rigid 12v (I think) drill and impact set.  The impact is awesome for driving in screws.  The tools are lightweight and after hanging blinds, drilling holes here and there, i have not needed to recharge.  Rigid has lifetime warranty on the tools AND batteries.

I am still shopping the big kit.  My builder just threw a wrench in my search.  I was debating between DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Rigid.  

He tells me they have been using Menards Workforce brand for 4 years, day in and day out.  Only one battery has needed to be replaced.  Otherwise everything has been working well.  Decisions decisions.  I will watch this thread.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    "Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita"...I just don't think there is a big difference in quality in the new Lithium series. They are all good. You can get a dud in any brand. I would buy the model that feels comfortable/balanced to you in line with best price. Like you, I was Dewalt and switched to Makita a few years ago with no issues or regrets.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Currently, makita seems to be the top.of the heap. Like yourself, I was  big dewalt user, but since you bought your last kit things have changed.  My last kit was rigid,  and it's been good,  but the makita set seems to have current bragging rights.
    Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    milwaukee has the high torque drills that would turn my 8 inch ice auger =) ive been happy with my ryobi set though and the new ones seem every bit as good as the others. if i was picking though it would be the high torque milwauki, dropping 30 pounds off the ice auger would be sweet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I had used a Dewalt 12v cordless drill for many years.  When the batteries finally gave out I purchased a new Dewalt 12v with supposedly better batteries and charger.  Well, the batteries may have been better but the drill was junk compared to my old one.  Fortunately the new batteries worked fine in my old drill.  Later I decided to get something more powerful so I purchased a Porter-Cable drill & driver 20v combo set.  They are both workhorses and I couldn't be happier.   FWIW Stanley Black & Decker owns about all the name brands anyway much like Michigan Tool & Die owns a lot of the lawnmower brands.
    "Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • You should check out AvE's youtube channel. 
    Very interesting reviews and always good for a laugh!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2017
    @kl8ton Is it the Masterforce brand? It's starting to get hard to find anything at Menards that isn't Masterforce. I've always passed thinking the in house brand wasn't any good. That's good to know that their battery stuff has been given the true test. My Dad got sick of me borrowing his air impact wrench and he bought a cheap replacement (Powermate) for himself. =) It works great and was under $40. Even the entry Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita tools are being produced in China now if I'm not mistaking. Masterforce maybe isn't all that different from the rest of the big names.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @WeberWho
    yeah thats it, Masterforce!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I was told dewalt was the homeowner level, makita is a step above and Milwaukee is contractor grade. That being said all mine are the makita 18v lxt mixed with some brushless and brush and have really liked them. I use my sawzall to trim the trees and to cut out a ton of roots and it's a beast. I have kinda bought one tool here and one tool there and wish I had just broke down and got a 10 piece set at the get go.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I always enjoy AvE's BOLTR vids!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Recently got a DeWalt 20V Lithium drill and bag from Lowe's on a price match for 90 bucks.  My Dad then picked one up too.
    I dig the faster charge.
    I dig the longer run time.
    I dig the auto light.
    I dig the lighter weight.
    I dig the smaller size.
    I dig the bag vs the puzzle fitting box.

I dig it, 5 stars

My next piece.
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-XR-28-Piece-Cordless-20-Volt-Max-Oscillating-Tool-Kit/50076729?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-RotaryToolsAndAccessories-_-50076729:DEWALT&CAWELAID=&kpid=50076729&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=104&k_clickID=71c7994d-137a-42d6-a3af-2992a81ebc44&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhMjKBRDjxb31j-aesI4BEiQA7ivN-EZ7CVuFxj0G4D5ZgFy7hHVZR5hNGQNjzYfWWsGHElAaAsxK8P8HAQ
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Get a Festool so you hang drywall underwater.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167

I have the Milwaukee m18 brushless set and love it. Lots of power and lasts forever. There is a million tools that take the same battery including their top of the line fuel stuff all the way down to the entry level stuff. At least you don't get hosed if you upgrade or need a high end tool, and a budget tool.

milwaukee has the high torque drills that would turn my 8 inch ice auger =) ive been happy with my ryobi set though and the new ones seem every bit as good as the others. if i was picking though it would be the high torque milwauki, dropping 30 pounds off the ice auger would be sweet

I run my 6" off a dewalt XRP 20V for the last 4 years. I use the dewalt cause it has 3 speeds and the first range is geared real low.My other drills were just too fast. I get about 4 holes/battery in 32" of ice, so not too bad. Its definitely nice over gas if you don't need a 10" hole. I bet it would push an 8" but not for 32-36"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I recently got a Ryobi One 18V pole saw (chainsaw on a stick). Honestly I haven't used it long enough to give an informed opinion, but for the first couple of uses I am really impressed. It chewed through a lot of branches on a single charge. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I've got a bunch of ryobi 18v with small and large lion batteries.  Never had a problem with any of it, but I don't beat on it as heavily as some of you do. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    poster said:

I have the Milwaukee m18 brushless set and love it. Lots of power and lasts forever. There is a million tools that take the same battery including their top of the line fuel stuff all the way down to the entry level stuff. At least you don't get hosed if you upgrade or need a high end tool, and a budget tool.

I run my 6" off a dewalt XRP 20V for the last 4 years. I use the dewalt cause it has 3 speeds and the first range is geared real low.My other drills were just too fast. I get about 4 holes/battery in 32" of ice, so not too bad. Its definitely nice over gas if you don't need a 10" hole. I bet it would push an 8" but not for 32-36"
    we used a milwaukee with an 8 inch nils this winter, 2 foot of ice and maybe 20 holes with a clam plate with one battery.  was a really nice setup, i wish they would push the 10 inch, i need that on some lakes and my 35 pound jiffey is not the answer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    Well after a trip to the Depot, I'm still a Dewalt guy. Their 20v XR battery is 1/2 the weight of the Milwaukee M18. I can see that making a big difference using the tool all day. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Well after a trip to the Depot, I'm still a Dewalt guy. Their 20v XR battery is 1/2 the weight of the Milwaukee M18. I can see that making a big difference using the tool all day. 

Same amp/hr to amp/hr?
  • DoubleEgger
    poster said:

Same amp/hr to amp/hr?
    No but I can always buy the bigger battery for the Dewalt if I need it but there's no smaller battery on the Milwaukee. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You doing/planning some remodeling work?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    bgebrent said:
    You doing/planning some remodeling work?
    The azzhat who had this house before only used about half of the required joist hanger nails on the deck. Thank God Simpson makes a joist hanger screw. Using a hammer on joists with 8" centers would be miserable. The old drill only made it about 20'. 

And yes, remodeling work is in my future.  ;)
  • Got a set of milwaukee with me tundra purchase 5 years ago, still going strong and I have added a few more
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    My Dewalt crapped out years ago and I went with Bosch. No regrets.
    Michiana, South of the border.