Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lesson you've learned (so far) using an Egg???

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    There are very few absolutes in cooking with the BGE, and a whole lot of opinions stated as fact.  Do what works for you!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • danguba78
    danguba78 Posts: 92
    Eoin said:
    Do greens (spinach, kale, chard etc.) with onions, chilli and cumin seeds and you won't be throwing them in the trash.
    I'd like to hear a little more about your greens recipe/method. Oil? Direct/indirect?.  My wife and I started a new diet and all the veggies I like are now out, but leafy greens are in, and I need some new techniques. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • LakeSeminoleEgger
    LakeSeminoleEgger Posts: 76
    edited June 2017
    Burp VERY slowly at high heat
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Buy a 36" Blackstone Griddle to compliment your egg(s).
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Take off the ceramic rain cap BEFORE you lift the lid.
    Judy in San Diego
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Well, hmmmm..... I'll say, don't let @JRWhitee touch your Egg.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    danguba78 said:
    Eoin said:
    Do greens (spinach, kale, chard etc.) with onions, chilli and cumin seeds and you won't be throwing them in the trash.
    I'd like to hear a little more about your greens recipe/method. Oil? Direct/indirect?.  My wife and I started a new diet and all the veggies I like are now out, but leafy greens are in, and I need some new techniques. 
    I second this request @Eoin, love some proper greens. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Learn to homebrew beer. It just goes hand in hand with egging. :)
    Central Florida
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Burp the Egg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Matt it had to be said. I will keep this in mind when I see him this weekend. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Use it a lot or you will forget little things.  Also, keep notes on things such as time/temp/rubs/process of preparation/brines/and quality of meat or veggies/get good tools to use.  Pick up ideas from many places on recipes/processes including for oven and stove top and crockpot and put in notes plus modify your methods to utilize them.  Never try something for the first time when guests are coming.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    edited June 2017
    "Never try something for the first time when guests are coming."

@GoldenQ, I'm going to respectfully suggest a modification

"Never try something for the first time when guests WHO YOU DON'T KNOW WELL are coming."

I suspect that I am not unique in that with my work schedule, the majority of time I get to use my egg is when I have guests coming.  So, if I didn't try new things when I had guests coming, I'd never try anything new.  The key is that this forum is such a great resource that I feel confident when I do stuff that I've learned from here. 

I guess the other key is to determine who your guests are.  For most of my gatherings the guests are good friends such that if I totally ruined everything and ordered pizza, we'd have a great time and laugh about it.

When the guests are not old, good friends, then I do recommend sticking to your advice.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Buy a Thermapen and cook to temp rather than time (improved my results more than anything)!

Don't chase temps or worry about a 10- 15 degrees hotter or cooler than your target (it will have little effect on your outcome)

Have fun

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    danguba78 said:
    Eoin said:
    I second this request @Eoin, love some proper greens. 

Posted under vegetables.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Matt it had to be said. I will keep this in mind when I see him this weekend. ;)
    Neither of my Eggs have fallen apart when opened...just saying...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    At LEAST 15 minutes at your target temp before putting your cook on. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hang around here long enough and you'll end up broke and in rehab.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    This.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited June 2017
    DMW said:
    Yup. Already wanting another LBGE, and a double stainless table, and a PSWoo for the new egg and new hinge band, and...Huh, my sciatic doesn't hurt as much because my wallet is a lot thinner. Hmmm...Oh and my other hobby is touch less home automation. Not quite as expensive as egging, but oh well...YOLO!

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    I've learned egging is universal, so don't be afraid to experiment with different proteins or to try different recipes. When in doubt, ask, ask, ask, people are always willing to give their opinions and/or advice. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Dont run out of beer
    O-Town, FL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Dizzy Pig puts out a new rub right after you make a multi bottle order. Without fail.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Find tools with long handles. Wife is Mexican. When we have Carne Asada she likes it cooked at a very high temperature. Just cooked some on the XL, at 700*...no plate setter...arm hair is over rated...lol....
  • WDEbbque
    WDEbbque Posts: 7
    Buy a looflighter to start your fire, you won't regret spending the money!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    WDEbbque said:
    Buy a looflighter to start your fire, you won't regret spending the money!
    Yes, but go very easy when lighting for a low and slow.  I drastically overshot my temp the last time I started w a looftlighter.  Need more practice.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    @JRWhitee.....   these boys will never let you forget.... LOL
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Dome on the ground, not broken, = Brother @JRWhitee. I may never witness such an sphincter tightening moment as that, the rest of my life.
    Bottom Line. Finesse, and very well played. No blood, no foul. Although a collective breath had been held, leading to a group "Whoa" for damned sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    YukonRon said:
    Dome on the ground, not broken, = Brother @JRWhitee. I may never witness such an sphincter tightening moment as that, the rest of my life.
    Bottom Line. Finesse, and very well played. No blood, no foul. Although a collective breath had been held, leading to a group "Whoa" for damned sure.
    #Tightenyourbolts

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    Burp the egg when cooking steaks!

Johns Creek, Georgia