Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket And Pulled Pork For 700

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Looking Forward my friend...just a strictly curiois, I know you cook a lot of " bulk protein" how did you decide on 800 pounds for 700 people.....In Armenian and we always cook in excess ...Tell us more about the sides 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Looking Forward my friend...just a strictly curiois, I know you cook a lot of " bulk protein" how did you decide on 800 pounds for 700 people.....In Armenian and we always cook in excess ...Tell us more about the sides 
    When we asked Security for a count of people badged in on a typical Wednesday, they gave us 700. Training department is outside the Security fence so that adds another 100 or so people.

I usually plan on 1# of raw per adult. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:
    When we asked Security for a count of people badged in on a typical Wednesday, they gave us 700. Training department is outside the Security fence so that adds another 100 or so people.

I usually plan on 1# of raw per adult. 
    Awesome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options
    Lots o' meat:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
  • CTMike
    Options
    1# of Berkshire bacon on the griddle for our breakfast. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Lots o' meat:

Amazing sight. Good luck.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Cooks breakfast. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Today is gonna be. A great day for a lucky 800 people.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Amazing 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    Can't wait to see how this one turns out!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @CTMike , that is one awesome picture - beautiful stick burners with lots of protein ready to go on!  (and the cooks breakfast is looking great as well)  Is the firm hiring?  I'd at least like to work there today and am happy to make the commute!

I'd say "good luck" bringing it across the line, but based on the cooks you post and the start you have I think you've got this more than in hand - no luck needed!  Can't wait to see the final pics
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • CTMike
    Options
    Most of the proteins are done and hanging out in the rented CVAP's. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Any pictures with the vessels loaded?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• thetrim
    Options
    This went from prep to done like a meal at Hogwarts!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Looks awesome and i speak from experience, there is a lot of coordination and pre planning going on for a bbq on this scale.   Attendees will be very happy....nice job!
  • CTMike
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So I just got home after starting the fires at midnight. Both Shirleys ran at an average of 300 F. I really expected to chew through the the wood with the amount of meat to bring up to temp, but I only used 3/4 of the wood basket on each cooker. A real testament to how efficient these things are, and I feel the insulated fireboxes played a huge part in that. 

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the loaded cookers because we were too busy. I was able to fit 18 briskets and 20 butts in the main chamber, and 4 briskets and 8 butts in the warmer oh my monster. The remaining 6 briskets and 12 butts went in the 24x50 Brethren HammerheadSh graciously loaned me. The warmer in the smaller cooker was used to cook those baby backs for our snack. 

Overall based on the feedback, we killed it. Raving, positive reviews from all. The two smallest briskets were a little over, as they tended to crumble when slicing. We ended up just chopping those and no one really knew the difference. 

One huge learning point for me: portion control. The cafeteria folks made the sides and were assisting, I stupidly assumed that they would be serving as well. I did not talk to them about that, and as a result it was self-serve and we ran short of brisket. I feel bad about it and apologized to the Site VP and the Director that was organizing the event. They laughed it off and said they were ordering BBQ from a local brick and mortar joint for the backshift.

All in all it was a great success. I will post more photos when I get them from the site photographer.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

Any pictures with the vessels loaded?
    Unfortunately it was very busy and I didn't think to get a loaded photo. The post above talks about how much was loaded into each cooker. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Mike, sounds like it was an overwhelming success. Awesome job brother :clap:
    I proudly give this monumental effort the Double Seal of Approcal. It would get the Triple Seal if I had one my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Great job.  Awesome undertaking.  Commendable for sure.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Lots o' meat:

Whoa
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Awesome cook and some lucky folks 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Lots o' meat:

Whoa
    @JohnInCarolina,

I think this is your first one word post - glad to know I left you one syllable away from speechlessness. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Congrats on bringing it home.  In addition to all the great groceries, I'm sure you have helped you local advertising in a big way.  Most excellent across the board.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Bam! Bam! Bam!Bam! Bam! Bam!Bam! Bam! Bam!Bam! Bam! Bam!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Awesome job! Those cookers are beautiful. 
    Snellville, GA

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Great job brothaman!
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    Nice work!  Sounds like you nailed it!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • charliebatutis
    Options