Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

those of you who cook (have cooked) with no gasket

I received the new hinge design for my Large Egg (thanks Bruce!).

While it is taken apart, I plan to replace the original gasket, which has curled and shifted due to underbite (not charred yet).

My head is spinning from all the pros and cons of different gaskets and adhesives.  

So my idea is to re-assemble the Egg with the new hinge, and try a cook with no gasket.  If it fails to hold 225 F, then I'm back to researching gaskets.  Otherwise, the decision will be made for me.

Those of you who have cooked with no gasket:
-How low are you able to hold temperature?  Any problem with long cooks?  Does the charcoal take longer to smolder out after capping the dome?
-Have you had any issues with the ceramic chipping due to closing the lid too hard?  Do you have to warn your spouse/guests not to slam the lid?  Or are they not allowed within the Chef Zone?
-Are you able to run a temperature probe through the gap without crimping it, or letting air in through the gap?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i have not experienced any of those problems except maybe burning a little more lump during shutdown. i run below 175 dome on occasion, the air doesnt sink from the gasket down when its hot so it really doesnt affect the cook itself. having others not familiar to egg cooking there is always a chance someone will drop the dome but ive never had that problem.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    See above. About 5 years without it 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Researching gaskets? Interesting concept. =) Just buy a Rutland like so many others have and be done with it for years and years (no one knows how many). I just like the cushioning effect when closing the dome, as fish alluded to. Otherwise, many people have been gasketless for years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I can't stand the idea of the grinding lids... so I'm with ^^
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Gasket or no gasket is going to depend on how well you base and dome mate up and how much air escapes as well as how well your lower vent is fitted. 
    I have started putting the gasket on the base only. It gives enough shock protection and unless your base and dome gap is real big, a single  gasket filles the gap.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Have only cooked without a gasket a couple of times while waiting to get a replacement. My MBGE worked fine as the base and dome match very well. The only issue I had without a gasket was when using a pit probe, without the gasket the probe cable left a pretty big air gap making it harder to hold temps and I think a bit slower to snuff. Probably not so good for the cable.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    slovelad said:
    I can't stand the idea of the grinding lids... so I'm with ^^
    Not so much grinding as a clacking sound. Like Farfel... )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZi2og1YQJA

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I have had my (used to me) egg for ~2yrs.  Gasket is basically a black line of old grimy adhesive.  Never have any trouble holding my temps as desired or shutting the fire down  I will used the method noted below for the shock though.

.Photo Egg said:
    I have started putting the gasket on the base only. It gives enough shock protection and unless your base and dome gap is real big, a single  gasket filles the gap.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • No gasket for 2 years. Roughly. 

no issues on low and slow. 

I tried installing a rutland. Obviously screwed that up as it didn't stay long. So I chunked it and flying commando since. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    You can get 25 foot roll of nomex for 6.75(mcmastercarr) and a can of 3m 77 spray glue. That is enough to do a large twice.

I just changed it yesterday for the second time. The first one was done in April of 2010. $4 every 7 years isn't bad.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    RRP will get you setup, just send him a msg.  He sends the right length gasket and detailed instructions on what you need and how to do it.  I replaced one on my BGE 3 years ago and just ordered another on from him for my dads BGE. He has sent out several thousand gaskets to BGE owners.    
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I've been going commando for a couple of years now.  It took me awhile to readjust to temp control, but now - no problem.  It's very manageable once you get used to it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    i have not experienced any of those problems except maybe burning a little more lump during shutdown. i run below 175 dome on occasion, the air doesnt sink from the gasket down when its hot so it really doesnt affect the cook itself. having others not familiar to egg cooking there is always a chance someone will drop the dome but ive never had that problem.
    This. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I have had no issues without a gasket, but I must admit, that I close the dome more slowly and gingerly than when I did have a gasket.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia