Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Philly cheesesteak question

What does most use for the cheese.  I have seen cheese whiz to make your own cheese sauce
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I always use provolone 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Whiz  seems to have changed over the years and has a chemically taste, similar to that nasty processed American.  For me putting processed cheese on a quality meal is like putting ketchup on brisket.  Like @ColtsFan  , I settled on Provolone.
    Phoenix 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Provolone here...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    edited May 2017
    Not all cheesesteak places in the Philly area have whiz, but if they do I order it. Otherwise I like American.
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    I am leaning to provolone
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think the most common used is white american. I like to use both provolone and white american. Mix the white american in the meat a little, then throw provolone on top and set the buns over the steaming meat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I enjoyed Kenji's ode to American cheese he wrote last year. It's certainly not the cheese of choice for most things but for a few things it is possibly the best choice.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/whats-really-in-american-cheese.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    The wife and I like to put Baby Swiss on our home-made cheesesteaks. That bite/pungent ness provolone sometimes gives is not well liked in our household.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Whiz man.  The Cheese Whiz is where it's at for an authentic Philly! 
    Slather it on on a soft long roll, place it on top of the cooked meat with the sauteed onions so the roll steams a bit, then serve!

I do also enjoy it with white american or provolone, but when I'm going legit, it's gotta be the whiz.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • havarti is my favorite
  • defurche
    defurche Posts: 22
    Just made some cheesesteaks tonight. I used provolone. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    KiterTodd said:
    I went to college in Philly, will never forget the first time I saw someone making a cheesesteak.  It was like the cooks at Benihana, hands and utensils moving so quickly doing what seemed like 25 things at once, steak, onions, sauce on some of them, cheese, bun -- just dazzling.  And SO good!  

I lived in Philly, and then the burbs still working in Philly, from 1968 till 1984, I think it was, and I never saw or heard of putting Cheese Whiz on a cheesesteak.  <shudder>  Maybe they did in some places, but I never went to those places -- all I ever saw was sliced white American.

When I see "authentic" Philly cheesesteaks on TV, they don't remotely resemble what I ate and loved in Philly all those years.  Dunno.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Theophan said:
    KiterTodd said:
    I went to college in Philly, will never forget the first time I saw someone making a cheesesteak.  It was like the cooks at Benihana, hands and utensils moving so quickly doing what seemed like 25 things at once, steak, onions, sauce on some of them, cheese, bun -- just dazzling.  And SO good!  

I lived in Philly, and then the burbs still working in Philly, from 1968 till 1984, I think it was, and I never saw or heard of putting Cheese Whiz on a cheesesteak.  <shudder>  Maybe they did in some places, but I never went to those places -- all I ever saw was sliced white American.

When I see "authentic" Philly cheesesteaks on TV, they don't remotely resemble what I ate and loved in Philly all those years.  Dunno.
    I went to college in Philly about 5 years after you moved away.   I had many steaks there as well, and also loved watching them cook them.  Whiz was the rage when I was there.  I'm not sure if Pat's started it, but everybody had it.  Some places would lean more towards American or Prov than the whiz.

I have to admit, I do like that salty cheese sauce.  Don't know what it is, but it's great on grilled shredded ribeye...

Now, the thing I saw for the first time in the late 80s in Philly was the Chicken Steak!  Had that for the first time at Billy Bob's near UPenn.  Walked in there at 2:AM one night and asked what to get.  I was told, "you at Billy Bob's.  At Billy Bob's, you get a chicken steak!"  And, to this day, that's still the best chicken steak going.  They're not in business any more, but man they made a mean sandwich. 

You'd get a Billy Bob's chicken steak with mayo and lettuce on the roll, then they'd put cheese on top of the grill cooked chicken shredded chicken and lay your roll on top.  Yumm.

Here's some info on them if you're curious-

Billy Bob’s

Who invented the chicken cheesesteak? These days, local lore gives that honor to Ishkabibble’s on South Street (which is also known as Questlove’s favorite). But there’s another contender: Billy Bob’s at 4000 Spruce St. in West Philadelphia. Run by a fellow known as Billy “Schultzy” Schultz, the shop at the corner where Copabanana now stands is given inventor cred in the definitive 2009 tome The Great Philly Cheesesteak Book. According to author Carolyn Wyman, Schultz came up with the idea to sub poultry as an option some time in the early 1980s.

NOW... as a city that continues to progress with sandwiches, these days, roast pork sandwiches with broccoli rabe are all the rage.  Heck, it could be old news now, but it wasn't  think while I was still in the city.  I didn't even know the thing existed until 10 years ago or so.  Here's the Tony Luke version.  I've had it.  It's good!

Sorry, I just wrote a book there.

Philly makes a great hot meat sandwich.  That's all I'm saying.  :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    From Boston living in Philly.  Most places use white american.  Use the best quality you can get like Boars Head or Dietz & Watson.  Cooper Sharp would be another good choice.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Native and back in town again - Whiz is a legit option, but not my favorite (or what wins the "best of"). White American is the go to, other than Mama's in Bala Cynwyd that uses mozzarella. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The "best" cheese for your sandwich is the one that you like the best.  
    On that note, I prefer a combination of American and provolone on a PCS. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.