Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone blacken fish w DP Swamp Venom

Options
kwdickert
kwdickert Posts: 308
I am about to try it on red snapper and mahi mahi with the swamp venom. Just curious. 
Memphis TN - Large Green Egg

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    I haven't used Swamp Venom personally. However you can use any seasoning for blackening. It's a myth that it takes a "special type" of seasoning to blacken. 
    On that note, as long as you like the seasoning "as is" you will probably like it blackened.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    I have used just salt and pepper for blackening before. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Should be perfect for that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    Fish turned out just fine. I'd go with a dedicated seasoning for blackening though next time.  Swamp Venom is really good but better suited as a seasoning for grilling or topping afterwards. Blackening worked out fine but the fish was kinda sweet after the hot chili in the seasoning subsided.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    Fish turned out just fine. I'd go with a dedicated seasoning for blackening though next time.  Swamp Venom is really good but better suited as a seasoning for grilling or topping afterwards. Blackening worked out fine but the fish was kinda sweet after the hot chili in the seasoning subsided.
    That's my only complaint with the DP seasoning, to much sugar many of their seasonings.
    Bombay Curry-ish is one that I like, but if you put enough on to get a good bite of flavor it's way to sweet for me.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I love paul prudhomme's blackening seasoning.  it's really mild but good flavor.  dizzy pig's blackening seasoning (bayou-ish) is also very good - too much bite for the kids though.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle