Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Watches. What's your newest acquisition

Options

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^
    That is exactly it. It seems there have been several scoffs at this thread for what ever the reason.  Meanwhile those who scoff will go and buy something of significant value and in a few years it's worth half or less. Everyone has their vices, or once in a lifetime purchases and those that don't see a value in it turn up their noses at it. 
    People spend their money on what makes them happy. Cars, boosts, motorcycles guns, golf, watches, camera equipment etc. 

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. 
    I agree. 
    Its just puzzling to me why people post like they do when they have no dog in the fight. 
  • hondabbq
    edited May 2017
    Options

SGH said:
    A gift from my wife years ago. 

There is some good money on your wrist @SGH. And you keep saying you have none. Baaaaahhhhh!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    hondabbq said:

SGH said:
    A gift from my wife years ago. 

There is some good money on your wrist @SGH. And you keep saying you have none. Baaaaahhhhh!!
    I have it on good authority that a rich forum member loaned my wife the money. Out of respect I won't mention Rons name =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have a seiko snk809 cheapie mechanical. It looks good and only gains 1 second per day. 

I also have a bulova with diamonds for the hour marks, special occasion watch! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've always liked watched; however, have never really worn them.  I have a Tudor watch which was my grand fathers and a railroad watch made by ball that was my great uncles.  They are cool because they came to me from family members and I appreciate the history.   

If I were going to buy myself a nice watch, I'd want a high end picked watch!!!! They just put a smile on my face.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I was a believer in Citizen's eco-drive watches and have a few.
    Recently bought this smart watch and has become my daily driver. 
    The Garmin D2 Bravo Ti

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    haven't worn a watch in 7 years. battery died replaced it and it died within a few weeks. put the Citizen watch in the drawer and it's been there ever since.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^
    That is exactly it. It seems there have been several scoffs at this thread for what ever the reason.  Meanwhile those who scoff will go and buy something of significant value and in a few years it's worth half or less. Everyone has their vices, or once in a lifetime purchases and those that don't see a value in it turn up their noses at it. 
    People spend their money on what makes them happy. Cars, boosts, motorcycles guns, golf, watches, camera equipment etc. 

I agree. 
    Its just puzzling to me why people post like they do when they have no dog in the fight. 
    It's crazy I thought this was a cooking forum. Maybe you used the money fronm the stolen guitar as a down payment?
  • hondabbq
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Naw that wouldn't have been enough for the down payment. 
    Maybe you should go to another forum that talks about food then. I'm sure everyone here would appreciate your abscence. 
  • Lit
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Naw that wouldn't have been enough for the down payment. 
    Maybe you should go to another forum that talks about food then. I'm sure everyone here would appreciate your abscence. 
    Or your fake as chef could cook something and quit posting about if you should steal a guitar. Guys I'm a chef how do I make a pie? Pretty sure you clean the fryer. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Do I need to link to your post about stealing the guitar? I though you couldn't get lower than a thief but then I saw a thief posting he was buying a Rolex. New level of low.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Your bf Tarheelmatt took care of that for ya. 
  • Lit
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Your bf Tarheelmatt took care of that for ya. 
    Seems like a random bump to me. Enjoy your Polex. I wanted  a blue faced submariner in 2001.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    If you have a desire for high end time-pieces, should you pass thru China then every high-end clock piece mentioned here is available for a deep discount with no warranty.  You can even score some of the top-end brands locally in NYC.  (No experience in the other major metros).  Accuracy be dam-ed.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @rrp that's a beautiful piece (though I'd swap the band).  Shame it's not working. If you didn't care about authenticity you could probably get a new movement swapped in if you wanted it to run. 

@lousubcap like this?  (Hint- it cost the equivalent of a bottle of decent bourbon)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited May 2017
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @rrp that's a beautiful piece (though I'd swap the band).  Shame it's not working. If you didn't care about authenticity you could probably get a new movement swapped in if you wanted it to run. 

@lousubcap like this?  (Hint- it cost the equivalent of a bottle of decent bourbon)

Thanks for the idea, but the rigid, bracelet style band is what attracted me to my first Lasalle and the idea of replacing it leaves me cold.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I have a few watches but the last one i purchased is a victorinox alpnach.  Self winding, massive diameter and i wear it to the office and to casual gatherings.  Itll go with anything..  Very reliable. Very thick and heavy substantive watch....
    You have it on the wrong hand... =)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @rrp amen - that's what I like about watches, the personal connection and the story behind it. Thanks for sharing
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have a few watches but the last one i purchased is a victorinox alpnach.  Self winding, massive diameter and i wear it to the office and to casual gatherings.  Itll go with anything..  Very reliable. Very thick and heavy substantive watch....
    You have it on the wrong hand... =)
    Lol.  I remember when I got my first watch around age six and wanted to put it on my right wrist.  My father disabused me of that notion very quickly.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,269
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No comment on the pieces in this thread, but watch faces seem to be getting bigger and bigger, to ridiculous proportions even, in some cases.  

Dudes be like "check out my new watch"......

Even Stevie Wonder could tell time on some of these. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^

I agree. 
    Hope you didn't take my comment on the $650 maintenance as me being against nice watches.  It wasn't intended as such.  I would love a nice time piece.

Truthfully, I wish I had mad amounts of disposable income.  So many cool things to own, so little money.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I know @Spaightlabs...its a pain to wear on left wrist because it hits the door mounted window switch when im driving so i switched wrists and prob was solved...and, the other bigge is i write with my right hand and throw lefty and i tend to reach for things with left hand and have lost a few cheap watches that way by banging them on a hard surface or creating too much shock when on left hand.  One time i was demonstrating a fastball and had a timex on left wrist. Well, i fired and the band snapped, the watch hit a wall and broke apart...it took a licking and stopped ticking....

@Hairless_Hand and @camofreak, that Seiko is what ive been looking for, a non battery powered SW knockaround that isnt crazy cost wise and one you can wear in water.  I own one seiko that i got as a gift 30 yrs ago that is batt powered.  Honestly i didnt even know seiko made SW watches until i saw your messages.  I am going to get one this summer if biz goes as i hope!
  • hondabbq
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^

I agree. 
    Hope you didn't take my comment on the $650 maintenance as me being against nice watches.  It wasn't intended as such.  I would love a nice time piece.

Truthfully, I wish I had mad amounts of disposable income.  So many cool things to own, so little money.
    Not at all. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @blind99 - Never have aspired to that piece.  But I do have a decent watch-analog and been doing well for 40+ years on.  Yup- I have a few accumulated laps of the sun.  

@JohnInCarolina said: Lol.  I remember when I got my first watch around age six and wanted to put it on my right wrist.  My father disabused me of that notion very quickly.  

@JohnInCarolina - definitely not a left-winger out of the gate.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @lousubcap - lol!
  • cactus_darrell
    cactus_darrell Posts: 68
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Throwing my Rolex in the ring.  35 years and counting, I bet it's played over 3000 rounds of golf, became a World Champion silhouette shooter 1984, outlasted 2 wives working very good with the 3rd. Mrs Cactus loves me as I do her. Doesn't keep time worth a SH**.  Rolex has stopped selling parts for their watches so now you have to return them to Rolex for repair. Basic cleaning and tune up now runs about $900.00

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My dad has a Seiko digital - one of the first from the early 70's.  It has been abused and used to the point of being an inside joke of the family.  It's been stolen in a break in, only to be discovered in the spring after the snow melt.  It spent the Canadian winter in a ditch and keeps going.  That silver Seiko has been on a lot of adventures with us.  It's the only thing I've specifically requested to come to me when Dad's laps are complete.

We've had a lot of laughs over that crazy bulletproof watch, and it means more than something of actual value.

Phoenix