Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making sausage. What cuts of meat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Eoin said:
    I have been close to buying a grinder for a while now. This is pushing me over the edge.

FWIW I have a #12 LEM and an LEM Stuffer BUT, I started ( and loved) my Less Than $50.00 Harbor Freight Grinder...worked like a champ and got me started...the stuffing attachment ( on any grinder ) is ok for a few pounds, anything more than that get a dedicated..but if you have a Harbor Freight near by, go buy one
    I'm in the UK and LEM stuff doesn't seem to be available here. A lot of US consumer stuff has disappeared here since the £ went down thw toilet after the Brexit vote. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Eoin said:
    lkapigian said:
    Eoin said:
    I have been close to buying a grinder for a while now. This is pushing me over the edge.

FWIW I have a #12 LEM and an LEM Stuffer BUT, I started ( and loved) my Less Than $50.00 Harbor Freight Grinder...worked like a champ and got me started...the stuffing attachment ( on any grinder ) is ok for a few pounds, anything more than that get a dedicated..but if you have a Harbor Freight near by, go buy one
    I'm in the UK and LEM stuff doesn't seem to be available here. A lot of US consumer stuff has disappeared here since the £ went down thw toilet after the Brexit vote. 
    I'm sure there's some quality German sausage making equipment you can find over there. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eoin said:
    lkapigian said:
    Eoin said:

I'm sure there's some quality German sausage making equipment you can find over there. 
    We got a nice German meat slicer. Looking at Polish for the grinder.

Edit: BTW, the £ is also down the toilet against the Euro, everything is more expensive. Even UK made have to pay more for raw materials so prices are up. Currency devaluation is just getting poorer.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Eoin said:

2nd for the #12 LEM grinder and LEM stuffer. I also started with the Kitchen-Aid grinder attachment, then I went to a Kitchener #12 and finally to the LEM. The Kitchen-Aid is OK but a pain to use. The Kitchener was good but I wanted a more powerful unit so I went to the LEM.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    You guys are going to be the death of me.  I wonder if I can slip a Weston #22 past the boss?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great posts
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    You guys are going to be the death of me.  I wonder if I can slip a Weston #22 past the boss?
    Kind of wish I got the 22...no, the 12 is more than enough, but it would have been cool just because. And I only have me to answer to. The 12 is a heavy and heat duty machine ...on the stuffer, you may think the 5 pounder is enough, doing it again I'd do nothing less than 10 or 15. I have found that my batches are now always 10 to 20 pounds...in the beginning it was a couple pounds 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @lkapigian , i have the LEM 12 grinder and the 5 lb and 15 lb cannister sausage stuffers.   I saw the harbor freight model not too long ago and thought about picking one up for smaller batches.  How do you like it in terms of power and ease of cleaning?

As to the stuffers i tried stuffing attachments on KA amd on lem and the piston driven crank is the only way to go IMO.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    etherdome said:
    So my grandfather was a butcher is rural SC and used to make some killer bulk sausage. Never put it in casings, purely bulk to make your own patties with.  I was recently given the recipe which was ingredients per 100 pounds of meat. He used to just use "a pig".  I have adjusted the recipe to 5 pounds of meat and recently gave it a whirl.   I used 5 pounds of ground pork butt and mixed ingredients by hand a little at a time.   When I cooked it, the flavor was there but the patties were rubbery and didn't even produce grease or moisture in  the pan when cooking. Visually it appeared to have plenty of fat in it.   I felt as if I were eating turkey sausage.  What cuts of meat do you typically use for sausage and any opinions on why this happened?  Do I need to mix in maybe 20% pork belly or something?  Thanks in advance.

80/20 butt to fat ratio is the number. don't count the fat in the butt but do count the fat cap. I take the cap off and weigh it and then add more belly/back fat to it to get to the 80/20.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @lkapigian , i have the LEM 12 grinder and the 5 lb and 15 lb cannister sausage stuffers.   I saw the harbor freight model not too long ago and thought about picking one up for smaller batches.  How do you like it in terms of power and ease of cleaning?

As to the stuffers i tried stuffing attachments on KA amd on lem and the piston driven crank is the only way to go IMO.
    @westernbbq...it has enough power for small batches ( I've done up to 20# with it no problem) and just as easy to clean as LEM, just don't put the parts in the dishwasher....I use my LEM for big and small batches, but if you have the extra room for an additional grinder, you will like it...it is noisy compared to the LEM though
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @lkapigian, noisy huh?  I thought the LEM was loud

I am grinding up 75# of pork shoulder on sunday.  Its my pre summer pork packtackular so i can be ready for the trips and sausage demands of the summer

Im good through july with that much meat!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Interesting that you add more fat. I suppose that might be the ticket for you in this case.

I use boneless butts from Costco unless we slaughter and butcher a pig. I have never needed to add fat. But then again I always put the sausage in a casing.  My recipes also have some sort of liquid ingredient whether water, wine or beer.  Perhaps when not in casing, you need a bit more fat due to nothing "sealing" the moisture in. 
    I do make a fairly large quantities when I make it though and it is a blast to do. I think this was a 30-40'ish lb batch. 

That's it.....I am on my way up. 
    Not so damn fast Robin, I'm going with you!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    The next time @Sea2Ski attends Butt Blast we need to pick his brain!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    If you want, I can make fresh and bring some next year (it is going to happen??) but there was already so much food!  I did not even get a chance to make the cheesesteak stuff I had. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    Options

I am grinding up 75# of pork shoulder on sunday.  Its my pre summer pork packtackular so i can be ready for the trips and sausage demands of the summer

@westernbbq , hopefully there is not a problem with yours, mine is ultra quiet and can easily talk over it........One of the quietest I have heard, you tube the #12 LEM and see if yours is any noisier than the vids
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Ill let you know on sunday.  I just got 75 lbs of shoulder that ill be grounding up on sunday.  Im pretty excited!
  • westernbbq
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lkapigian said:

@westernbbq , hopefully there is not a problem with yours, mine is ultra quiet and can easily talk over it........One of the quietest I have heard, you tube the #12 LEM and see if yours is any noisier than the vids
    youre right, lem 12 isnt that loud after all ...buddy and i ground up 75 lbs of pork shoulder.  I de boned them first and was able to move pretty fast on deboning process.   The case i got was 75 lbs, just over, and deboning was 4-5.lbs lost and i had some loin chops in freezer i was saving to add to this batch which was about 5 lbs.   So, the end result was 75.change lbs of ground pork to be seal vac bagged and then freeze until we are ready to make some sasage!