Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring fishing

Lo_Gear
Lo_Gear Posts: 108
I fish all year long but spring is a very fun time, anyone else doing any fishing right now? Here's a small mouth I caught on south holston a few days ago.

Comments

• Nice fish!!

My buddy and I have a boat we go together usually starting in March but he is renovating a new house and I am building a startup company. 

But I have two rivers about a mile away we wade fish spring to fall. Great smallmouth. The next 75 degree day I am taking the afternoon off and busting the waders out. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• And before I get grief about not going in the cold I know, I know....

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Lo_Gear
    Ive got a busy stretch of work coming up so I'm gonna have to get creative to squeeze some fishing in. 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Lo Gear, I am originally from Bristol and grew up on South Holston.   Beautiful lake.   I used to camp on it every weekend in the summer. 
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Lo_Gear
    Yes it is a great lake. It's slightly over pressured now with all the issues with Boone lake
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Nice fish. I want to get into it more.  I have my grandfather's fishing boat and 4 boys.  Need to do it.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    Yes, waters still pretty hard here though
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Rivers are blown out with run off right now. Headed to Mexico fishing in May does that count?
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    With the mild winter in Missouri I have gotten out 5 times already. Have done fairly well every time. The largemouth bass spawn is going to happen early this spring. Went out a week and a half ago on a cold(45) overcast day and pulled several females from 3 feet of water. The water temp is already in the low/mid 50s so they are starting to move up and make beds. Usually spawn happens during spring turkey season(opening day is April 17 this year). 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I fish for spring mostly in the winter.
    Lo_Gear said:
     Here's a small mouth I caught on south holston a few days ago.

Nice one brother !!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    @Lo_Gear that is a nice bronze back.  I hope to be on the water soon.  Just had my side scanning Garmin fish finder installed! 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    boat is ready to go but the access points are still frozen in and theres a ten foot tall snow banking on my dock. salmon season opens tomorrow....and we have a snow storm dumping more snow starting tonight
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607

This was two weeks ago, south of Corpus.  Four reds 24-27"
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    If you ain't fly fishing, then it's not really fishing heh ;)
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited March 2017
    P.s. hey it's Friday.....

• Golden Meadow Louisiana
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • Lo_Gear
    @JethroVA I just put a raymarine chirp sonar down imaging on mine, you will have to let me know how you like the SI
  • Lo_Gear
    @odie91 I just got a bass boat back after going several years without one. Sadly my fly rod has been neglected because of this. I plan on going after some browns soon tho.
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2017
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Focker said:
    Nice smally!

Trout season starts April 1st here in IL, boys are all jacked up.

I assume you are taking them to Prospect Park there in Moline? Expect many others fishing there today? Know how many were stocked? Any other IL sites you go for trout? Good luck, buddy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
     Nice. People have been killing the slabs here too. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Nice smally!

Trout season starts April 1st here in IL, boys are all jacked up.

I assume you are taking them to Prospect Park there in Moline? Expect many others fishing there today? Know how many were stocked? Any other IL sites you go for trout? Good luck, buddy!
    Yeah, they put 2000 in, but with my recent chain of events, I decided to hold off.  Didn't go play b-ball last night with my colleagues either.  The IL DNR will do it again in the Fall, we'll catch it then.  May still go with my bro, this coming week.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Focker said:
    Yeah, they put 2000 in, but with my recent chain of events, I decided to hold off.  Didn't go play b-ball last night with my colleagues either.  The IL DNR will do it again in the Fall, we'll catch it then.  May still go with my bro, this coming week.
    Chain of events? Sounds like you may have hurt yourself at work?
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Chain of events? Sounds like you may have hurt yourself at work?
    Naw, just chillin, retro Sat on the radio.  The boys are wheelin and dealin, helpin Q(the oldest), be the banker for the first time.  His smartphone calculator comes in handy. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    @Focker - I see a large Isabel Bloom piece in the background. We have several pieces ourselves. My late aunt and uncle in Muscatine owned a combination hardware store and gift shop. My aunt knew Isabel personally and helped in her distribution. BTW does your piece have a special meaning? 
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Cool Ron.  Love just about anything handmade, painted.  They are a staple around here.  Our hospital units are loaded with them.

Yeah, the Peace Angel was a gift from friends when I moved in my place, the first item to go in my house when I closed, in the bow window.

One of them paints the figurines at IB, and she painted this one with a little extra detail she said.   :)  The wings are awesome.

The fish was my Ma's.  And this retired Centennial Bridge (Rock Island to Davenport) QC, eagle piece she had framed.

My brother gave me a skull that's pretty cool.  He painted the eyes navy and blue.  Bears/IL theme.

And lastly, an orange and navy scarfed snowman from my Ma one Christmas.  

Even that stupid troll, has meaning.  Mas hit the motherload at the antique shop, lady gave him a deal he couldn't refuse.

He was nice enough to give his dad, this one.

They all, hold a special place. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    It is prep time right now. All spreader bars, shock leaders, and skirted rigs are getting new leaders. Reels all have new lube. 

Boat comes off dry dock 5/1.  Following weekend, a shakedown run and maybe wet a line. The following three weekends we try to beat the drum.  Hopefully we get more of these smaller good eating size.  The big fish are more plentiful, but prefer the smaller size to eat. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.