Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design for the large BGE

After many attempts to get rid of my underbite and another gasket ruined I decided to swap out my bands on my large. To my surprise BGE redesigned them to be similar to the ones they use on the XL. These new ones are so much better and have an easy adjustment on the sides to make things line up perfect. Before pic

After

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I'm in desperate need of a new band myself. Mine is so warped and distorted my lid won't close all the way. Looks like the new design is definitely an improvement. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    It is amazing how much better the replacement is.   For the first time I did a clean burn and lid was perfect after the burn.  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Bentgrass said:
    It is amazing how much better the replacement is.   For the first time I did a clean burn and lid was perfect after the burn.  
    Glad to hear that. Im planning on doing one soon before I replace the gasket. 
  • Everybody that has the new hinge really seems to be impressed with them. Thanks for the feedback. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    What is the average cost for a new large band? I need two of them

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• What is the average cost for a new large band? I need two of them
    about $130
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    I will definitely be purchasing one for my XL.  Thanks for posting.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • I have the new band/hinge too. Its so much better. Lid aligns now. No more underbite and leakage. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Gamecockeggman   are they available for the XL?  I thought this was a large only thing.

Phoenix 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    my bands always shift on any heat cook, would this be an eligible claim? 
  • Miked125 said:
    Not sure. How old is your eggs? The warranty for the bands are (or at least used to be) 5 years.
  • blasting said:

@Gamecockeggman   are they available for the XL?  I thought this was a large only thing.

The new large design is based off the xl design. I dont think the XL has changed. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    blasting said:

The new large design is based off the xl design. I dont think the XL has changed. 
    Well apparently I have the old design, mine does not have the clip to ensure proper spacing as shown in your pic above
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    I believe the warranty is 5 years on the hinge/bands.   This new style is what you will get as replacement.  I sent a couple pictures to the warranty department and explained the problems I was having.   
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Any chance you could post the BGE part # my dealer is not a full fledge dealer (thou he thinks he is) and will tell me this doesn't exist, just like the nest for my mini.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The new large band is the same band the xl has had for years right? I said on here probably 3-4 years ago they needed to make the large band like the xl. Way to go BGE your only like 5 years behind KJ now. I'm pretty sure nobody at BGE cooks or there is no way they could be so slow with advancements. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Lit said:
    The new large band is the same band the xl has had for years right? I said on here probably 3-4 years ago they needed to make the large band like the xl. Way to go BGE your only like 5 years behind KJ now. I'm pretty sure nobody at BGE cooks or there is no way they could be so slow with advancements. 
    You're a fvckin genius!
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    @SoCalTim I got my new hinge and band assembly from big green egg. Most dealers won't have them yet.  Unless your dealer sells a lot of eggs.  Try contacting big green egg directly. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Miked125
    Miked125 said:
    Not sure. How old is your eggs? The warranty for the bands are (or at least used to be) 5 years.
    Three years, if I do a higher hear cook it is guaranteed to shift.  
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I did some research, here's the part # 117984 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    You're a fvckin genius!
    I agree but this one wasn't that hard. People complain about the large band. The current XL band solves the large band issues. Just not sure how it takes so long for BGE to do things.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827

• Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    edited March 2017
    Looks like a no brainer retrofit to me. Tabs sold separately by BGE;  positioned on an old ring; ring drilled; tabs bolted on.  Voila! No overly expensive new ring.
  • Miked125

• Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

Thanks, I will try. When I contacted BGE directly they said contact your dealer and submit photos of the damage.... I thought there isn't damage but the bands always shift!
  • drdeal
    drdeal Posts: 23
    If you buy a new Large Egg, does it come with the new bands?
  • My LBGE is only 5 months old and its already developed the overbite/underbite problem and caused a ridge to appear in my now mostly flattened out gasket. Smoke leaks from all around the gasket and I have problems maintaining a set temperature. Even with the FL running.

Telling my wife I need to spend $130 to replace the bands on an almost new egg is only  going to get me in trouble.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    I bought a new large BGE last week and it came with the new band and larger thermometer. The one in the showroom was last years so we were pleasantly surprised. I do like both improvements a lot. Thank You BGE!
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • drdeal said:
    If you buy a new Large Egg, does it come with the new bands?
    My guess is that they still have some unsold eggs with the old bands. Even if that is so, I would imagine if you tell the dealer you are ready to buy but will only buy one with a new band they will make it happen. May have to wait till the next shipment though.
  • My LBGE is only 5 months old and its already developed the overbite/underbite problem and caused a ridge to appear in my now mostly flattened out gasket. Smoke leaks from all around the gasket and I have problems maintaining a set temperature. Even with the FL running.

Telling my wife I need to spend $130 to replace the bands on an almost new egg is only  going to get me in trouble.
    I am not sure how badly out of whack the bands have to be, but the bands are a warranty item. Sadly, any band problem only seem to get worse with time.