Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design for the large BGE

Options
12346»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Did you buy it new? If so, shame on your dealer. Get ahold of Bruce at the Mothership. He'll send you a new one. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Did you buy it new? If so, shame on your dealer. Get ahold of Bruce at the Mothership. He'll send you a new one. 
    Keep in mind, the dealer likely gets whatever the distributor gives him. The distributors and mothership do not just give the retailers new hinge kits. Depending on the volume of the dealer and the distributor, there will always be an overlap of merchandise. Btw, the original hinge has served many many people perfectly for a long time. There are definitely some issues for some people, but the vast majority of them are without any issues at all. You might get a free hinge kit from Bruce, but your dealer will not. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Have they moved down to a new design for the medium yet?
  • Deadbird80
    Options
    Yeah. It was all in separate boxes when he delivered it. I wasn't real happy about that right off the bat. Mismatched serial numbers. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Yeah. It was all in separate boxes when he delivered it. I wasn't real happy about that right off the bat. Mismatched serial numbers. 
    That’s how they came for decades. Only recently have they changed that packaging.  FYI
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited December 2017
    Options

Call the factory store in Georgia. That's where I got mine. Your dealer just wants to sell his old inventory.

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • pgprescott
    Options

Call the factory store in Georgia. That's where I got mine. Your dealer just wants to sell his old inventory.

He has to sell it. Like I said, he doesn’t get a free replacement. You might as the end user. 
  • Deadbird80
    Options
    That’s how they came for decades. Only recently have they changed that packaging.

Did the new bands make a difference?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Not that I've heard and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they won't. Reason I think that way?...mediums are not as popular (meaning # sold) as compared to the Large. If there is such a thing as another band in the skunk works I'd bet it would be for an XL, but THAT band was already miles ahead in design from the old style Large. Hey - BTW my Medium still has the old click and lock form with the yellow WARNING on the long lever which must be pulled down. Is yours THAT old?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Nope not that old. I think I got mine in 2009. Still in decent shape though I will have to talk to you about a Rutland in the spring. Just added a kick ash basket late last week.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not that I've heard and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they won't. Reason I think that way?...mediums are not as popular (meaning # sold) as compared to the Large. If there is such a thing as another band in the skunk works I'd bet it would be for an XL, but THAT band was already miles ahead in design from the old style Large. Hey - BTW my Medium still has the old click and lock form with the yellow WARNING on the long lever which must be pulled down. Is yours THAT old?
    They have a new medium band design.  It's just like the large and XL.  When I saw it in August it did not have springs though.....which was dumb.  It was heavier than a large lid.  I asked one of the guys at Eggtoberfest, and he said they would be putting the springs on it like the large and xl.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    Have they moved down to a new design for the medium ye
    They have a new medium band design.  It's just like the large and XL.  When I saw it in August it did not have springs though.....which was dumb.  It was heavier than a large lid.  I asked one of the guys at Eggtoberfest, and he said they would be putting the springs on it like the large and xl.
    Thanks! I had no idea! Me bad!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Have they moved down to a new design for the medium ye
    Thanks! I had no idea! Me bad!
    I saw one at Eggtoberfest. It’s no bueno. If anyone is considering a medium, find one with the old band. 
  • RICHP
    RICHP Posts: 2
    Options
    I have an older EGG, pre 2008. I have the alignment pins on my bands. I see on the photo of the box that it says for "EGGS 2008 and newer". I'm looking to replace my bands. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Options? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    RICHP said:
    I have an older EGG, pre 2008. I have the alignment pins on my bands. I see on the photo of the box that it says for "EGGS 2008 and newer". I'm looking to replace my bands. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Options? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Yeah, that concerned me when I decided to replace my large bands. Have a replacement base and old dome but it worked out just fine. Mine was a 2004 originally. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • RICHP
    RICHP Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of replacing the gasket(going with the high temp silicone),and I figured since I have it all apart I might as well upgrade the hinge/bands. Thanks again.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I may do that as well.  Ron is hooking me up with the Rutlands and my large has a severe underbite.  I've been cranking out alot of pizzas recently, and it's interesting how high heat affects the egg.  The underbite's gotten worse, and I just don't feel like messing with it most weekends.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm putting on my new bands today after replacing my gasket w/ a Ronnie special!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I got a new set of bands under warranty, no questions asked. Old ones were 4.5 yrs old. I really like the new design. The weight of the lid is more apparent when the lid is down, improving the seal.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I just sent in a warranty request for the new bands. My large is 3 1/2 years old, I use it approximately 5 days a week. I didn’t really have any interest in the new bands until recently. My underbite keeps getting worse and I noticed I had a leak out of the back two days ago. Replaced the gasket about 6 months ago and never had a leak since owning it. I can’t seem to keep the top from moving now when I cook 500 and above, hottest is around 600-650 on very few occasions. Bolts are tight, bands adjusted with the red tabs. Hoping they replace them under warranty otherwise I’lll have to buy them I guess. My son and I cook on the large a lot, occasionally use the mini max. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max