Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Options
First snow of the winter, and getting an early start on St. Patrick's day. Braised a hunk of corned beef for about 6 hours at 275ish in the snow, covered for the last hour and a half or so. Served with cabbage and Colcannon. Fine eats for a cold, snowy, March night. 

Comments

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    Did you corn it yourself?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I had to look up Colcannon. That whole meal looks good to me. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Did you corn it yourself?
    No, corned points were on sale this week for $2.99/lb.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I picked up some corned beef this week myself. Coupon for two flats at $1.97/lb and all the points you want at that same price point. I took home 2 of each. May go for a second round after I inspect my chest freezer to see how much I can store. I like to smoke the points with pastrami spices. At these prices you can't go wrong!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That looks delicious. may have the same for dinner tomorrow night. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    One of my favorites!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Corned beef flats for two dollars a pound? That's unheard of around here. It's usually four at the lowest. We can get points around two a pound but not flats. 

I just got my egg fired up with some pecan wood for a point for some pastrami. Ruebens tonite!
    NW IOWA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Do most folks soak the Corned Beer n water a day before, or just rinse it clean then cook?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Do most folks soak the Corned Beer n water a day before, or just rinse it clean then cook?

If you are going to braise or boil them there is no need to soak. If smoking for pastrami then soaking to remove salt is required. They brine/cure/inject heavily figuring the end user will be cooking it in lots of liquid.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Awesome looking cook ! Just picked up a 6lber at Aldi for $2.49 a pound !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.