Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Crabmeat Stuffed Mushroom Caps

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Mushroom caps were brushed with garlic butter and stuffed with lump crabmeat.  S & P and Old Bay seasonings. Topped with butter toasted Panko, parsley and parm.  Egged indirect at 375 for 12 minutes and finished with cocktail sauce.  Thought this experiment would be very tasty, meh.  Mediocre.  Just not a bunch of flavor other than mushroom and cocktail sauce.  Onward.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    But it looks pretty it has some of my favorite ingredients.  I'm surprised you felt it was  'meh'.  Good to know. Maybe needs something with the higher ratio of crab to everything else.  I've been grilled toast with all of that would be yummy.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Well they look good. 

I did some a few weeks ago with lump crab and baby portobellos. Soaked them in burgundy for a minute and did a remulaude sauce. I gave up on white mushrooms for texture and flavor. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I like the thought. Can see how crab would get lost there. Need something strong like hot sausage or chorizo. Amy makes some good stuff d shrooms in the clock. Need to try egging for some added smokiness 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    One of my favorite foods !!! Nice @bgebrent

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mushroom caps were brushed with garlic butter and stuffed with lump crabmeat.  S & P and Old Bay seasonings. Topped with butter toasted Panko, parsley and parm.  Egged indirect at 375 for 12 minutes and finished with cocktail sauce.  Thought this experiment would be very tasty, meh.  Mediocre.  Just not a bunch of flavor other than mushroom and cocktail sauce.  Onward.

They look outstanding brother. When I make them, I grind the mushroom stems and mix with the crabmeat, and a little ground onion and celery. Love the mushroom. So many possibilities.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Not a huge fan of mushrooms but I would kill those!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice experiment Brent.  

I would try some crab, spinach, and sundried tomatoes with a parm and panko topping. This works great for salmon and even turkey stuffed shrooms.   

Again thanks for a cooking thread.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options

Again thanks for a cooking thread.  
    Amen brother Matt 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Maybe meh but, looks good. I've had good responses using baby bellas or full size bellas and stuff with my same mixture I use for crab cakes and then finish with a shredded cheese mix of sorts and sauce if desired. Play with the flavors and I'm sure you'll find what works best for yourself.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Those look great, nice job Nicole! I mean Brent...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Those look great, nice job Nicole! I mean Brent...
    Nichole's a better cook.
    Maybe meh but, looks good. I've had good responses using baby bellas or full size bellas and stuff with my same mixture I use for crab cakes and then finish with a shredded cheese mix of sorts and sauce if desired. Play with the flavors and I'm sure you'll find what works best for yourself.  
    It needs work.  Had hoped to highlight the lump crabmeat.  Recovery meal to be posted tomorrow Blake.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The thought is great. This needs work... 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blind99 said:
    The thought is great. This needs work... 
    It surprisingly was a fail. Thanks for seeing the thought behind it!