Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Cap. What Say You?????

I'm debating on purchasing a SmokeWare cap.  Are they worth it, or should I stick with the factory cap?

Comments

• Got one for a Christmas gift. I like that it stays put when you open the lid. I don't think it makes me a better egger. Perhaps nothing will...

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• I like mine, it works well keeping the rain out holds settings well.

Also looks great on my trust sharp microwave.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not needed, but it works fine and looks cool. I have had one for several years now and have no desire to go back to Miss Daisey! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Yes. Get one. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • "What say you?"

I have two.
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I like mine. I still use the daisy for certain things, but use the Cap more.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    I have two and love that rain doesn't affect my cooks anymore!
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2017
    My eggs are out in the weather ... no shelter.  When it rains, the SmokeWare cap is very functional ... no dripping of soot onto the protein.  When it doesn't rain the cap looks cool on the egg ... stainless on top and stainless on the bottom.

Rain or shine, I've never had the cap change its setting when the dome is opened.  Yes, there is a trick to keeping the daisy wheel from changing it's setting, but I'm old and forgetful, so love my SW cap.

When I bought my second egg, I talked my dealer into exchanging the brand new, in-the-box daisy wheel for a Smokeware cap. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Absolutely get one! They are a great company and I happen to live really close to the factory. They were very nice and even gave me a tour of their place. I love the cap. Its easy to use and it replaced my daisy wheel and the egg cap because it does the same job in one.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • one more thing to clean.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    I got one and I love it - looks boss, keeps rain out and holds the settings, and could toss into the dishwasher once it gets too grimey.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Factory cap has worked for me for years rain or shine. Not needed. If you got the cash burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. I don't see a reason to, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I have one and not a big fan. Wouldn't get it again. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Pointless for me since my Egg is in a covered area and I'm perfectly happy with the original daisy wheel.

I can see how others might like it for the reasons stated, but I don't really understand some of them. Like how it won't fall off when you raise the lid of the Egg. My daisy wheel has never fallen off.

If you have it oriented so the screw is to the front of the Egg it doesn't lose its setting either. For some of us, the Smokeware cap seems to be more of a solution in search of a problem IMHO.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I have 2.  The one on my Large is AWESOME!!!!  The one on my MiniMax - meh... 

I do like the rain / weather protection on both just not as happy with the MiniMax and it's setup (spacer)...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• RRP
    Fine - to each his own, but what is it that you don't like?
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    It is much less cumbersome than the daisy wheel and it does stay on. That and the weather protection  - I like mine a lot. It took me a few cooks to realize that the vent in the rear that you don't see in effect doubles the amount of air you let in when opening so as you adjust air flow take that into account.
  • Yes, get one. Not really necessary but for me, it looks better and I can control it better. I don't cook in the rain though.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Get it..... it works as claimed and you don't have to keep switching caps to snuff it out... very happy with it
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    Fine - to each his own, but what is it that you don't like?
    It's too easy to use and you don't have to worry about it self adjusting when you open the lid, the horror. I like to constantly switch between the daisy and the ceramic cap, it's fun. HUH?  :o
  • My only complaint is that it doesn't snuff out the fire as well as putting on the ceramic cap does. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I wouldn't own an egg without one.

Needed?  Nope, but neither is the egg.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I have 2 and really like them.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    My only complaint is that doesn't snuff out the fire as well as putting on the ceramic cap does. 
    Never timed the difference in "snuff time".  When I'm done using the LG I pull the SM and don my ceramic cap. SW has a solid insert specifically for the stuff that @Jeepster47 designed. You could purchase that or just do like I have been for years. On the MM I snuff with the SW ...no cap...no issue. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    edited February 2017
    My only complaint is that doesn't snuff out the fire as well as putting on the ceramic cap does. 
     SW has a solid insert specifically for the stuff that @Jeepster47 designed. 
    Yup!

• PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    I was just going to ask if anyone thought the press cap was necessary.  =)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    bgebrent said:
    I have 2 and really like them.
    @bgebrent I have one and I don't care for it. Could I have one of yours?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle