Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Cap. What Say You?????

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    PlanSB said:
    I was just going to ask if anyone thought the press cap was necessary.  =)
    I have the SS snuff cap.  I can't say I've notice a huge difference compared to just shutting cap.  Thats for both gen1 and gen2.  I haven't timed it.  I also think different folks have different quality of seal on their SW caps or vents.  Mine seal well.  FWIW
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    PlanSB said:
    I was just going to ask if anyone thought the press cap was necessary.  =)
    I have the SS snuff cap.  I can't say I've notice a huge difference compared to just shutting cap.  Thats for both gen1 and gen2.  I haven't timed it.  I also think different folks have different quality of seal on their SW caps or vents.  Mine seal well.  FWIW
    Good to know, thanks.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    I have 2 and really like them.
    @bgebrent I have one and I don't care for it. Could I have one of yours?
    Sure man!  We can do a swap, but must occur in GA.  68 degrees here today brother snow-blind! ;)
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    My daughter gave me one for Xmas a year ago and I really like it. Holds the setting, keeps weather out and doesn't rust!  As far as shutting down, I remove it and put the ceramic cap on.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Of course if you already have a SW and didn't buy the snuffer and don't want to order again you can make one out of wood pretty easily. PS I don't mean to step on Matt's toes from SW nor those of @Jeepster47 either...just sayin 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Another vote for yep, wouldn't want to be without it. I'm a gadget guy and it's one of my favorites for the egg.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I like mine
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm in the no camp. My cap doesn't hold smoking temps at all. It's in a bin along with a lot of other worthless accessories I've bought over the years 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited February 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not needed, but it works fine and looks cool. I have had one for several years now and have no desire to go back to Miss Daisey! 

What he said x10 and good to have the snuff out plate too . LUV it .
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Focker said:
    Legume said:
    one more thing to clean.
    I clean mine about as often as I cleaned my daisy wheel, kind of never.
    Never understood the cleaning obsession, have yet to clean any of the 3.  

This style cap should be OEM IMO.
    The DFMT and ceramic cap are obsolete.

Mine fused together so had to clean.  But only once in the 2 or 3 years I've had them.   Agree, should be OEM.
    Options
    My egg is under cover, I use one. Looks good, controls better. Also feel it defuses the smoke better so as to not stain my ceiling on my patio. 

But its not needed. My minimax works fine with the daisy wheel!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Fortunate all my eggs shut down fine without the worthless snuff cap, and all can go low and slow without issue.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    My only complaint is that doesn't snuff out the fire as well as putting on the ceramic cap does. 
    Never timed the difference in "snuff time".  When I'm done using the LG I pull the SM and don my ceramic cap. SW has a solid insert specifically for the stuff that @Jeepster47 designed. You could purchase that or just do like I have been for years. On the MM I snuff with the SW ...no cap...no issue. 

That's what I do too. Just closing the cap works but takes longer and I end up with less lump left over for the next cook.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    I'm in the no camp. My cap doesn't hold smoking temps at all. It's in a bin along with a lot of other worthless accessories I've bought over the years 
    User error
    Highland, MI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Focker said:
    Fortunate all my eggs shut down fine without the worthless snuff cap, and all can go low and slow without issue.
    LOL - worthless? Actually, Brandon, I think the secret to an adequate closure has to do with the closeness of fit between the SW cap piece and the base piece. The more they are used the tighter the seal. Early on there was an issue of a sloppy fit in the manufacturing process which Matt got resolved, but maybe that batch caused some of the bad words, though I'm positive that Matt made good on them if he knew. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I have one on my Large, but not on my Small, and like it that way.
    I use the Large for lo-und-slo, overnight cooks, where it could start raining or the sprinklers turn on at 0400, and it keeps the fire going.
    I use the Small for chops, steaks, calamari and dogs, where it won't start raining during the short cook; if it's already raining, I stay inside and eat Spaghetti-O's.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The daisy wheel and the Smokeware cap have the main function of helping to regulate temperature.  They both do a good job of controlling airflow ... although, I'd argue that the SW cap is easier to adjust 'cuz there's only one movable part.  Ugly daisy has two movable parts, so you can achieve exactly the same airflow with various combinations of petal and lid positions.

If the manufacturing tolerances are close, either ugly daisy or the SW cap will snuff out the egg in an acceptable time frame.  Thus, some folks can't understand what the fuss is all about ... they're a little tight to begin with!!

If the tolerances are somewhat loose on either ugly daisy or the SW cap, then the ceramic cap or the flat lid will show an improvement in shutdown times.  Their function is to tightly seal up the top vent so there is no airflow ... a function they both do quite well.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I always found the original cap a pain, and they kept rusting on me.  I originally ordered these because of rain, just felt creepy about rain dripping straight down onto the food with the daisy wheel thing.  I much prefer the SmokeWare cap, and have no problems snuffing the fire.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Theophan Original SW design Rusting? :confused:
    I have the "original" as the company was still know as Eggware. Constructed then and now from 304 SS. Thus why I ask...corrosion?
    <OR> Original meaning the OE DFMT?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Nevermind @Theophan
    My stupidity. Carryon
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Nevermind @Theophan
    My stupidity. Carryon
    You are such an ass.  One day when I meet you...
  • NJEgger
    Options
    My egg is uncovered, so I got the SW cap and love it.  Great for rain/snow and I think it's much easier to fine-tune the airflow to regulate temperature vs daisy wheel.  I thought I would go back and forth between the daisy wheel and the SW, but the daisy wheel is now in storage. I have no issue snuffing with simply closing the SW cap.
    XL Egg hatched November 2016
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    User error
    LOL I promise you I know how to properly light and maintain a steady fire in my eggs.

My cap has so much play between the two pieces that I can shove toothpicks in all around it. It won't hold less than 350F with the top completely shut. I can hold 225F with the daisy wheel. Smoke ware doesn't think that's an issue and their customer service was not very good in my case. I was given a 15% coupon to buy another cap. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Nevermind @Theophan
    My stupidity. Carryon
    I am an ****. But, in this particular case i was truly being genuine because he was clearly referring to the dfmt as the original. Don't get used to it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Nevermind @Theophan
    My stupidity. Carryon
    I am an ****. But, in this particular case i was truly being genuine. Don't get used to it. 
    More than used to it hurricane man! ;)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I egg in a covered protected area, my daisy wheel is perfect for my application.
    I wouldn't replace the daisy wheel with anything else in my application.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Bite me Brent. Use to it!  Douche Canoe
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    User error
    LOL I promise you I know how to properly light and maintain a steady fire in my eggs.

My cap has so much play between the two pieces that I can shove toothpicks in all around it. It won't hold less than 350F with the top completely shut. I can hold 225F with the daisy wheel. Smoke ware doesn't think that's an issue and their customer service was not very good in my case. I was given a 15% coupon to buy another cap. 
    Funny how that works. I could never hold less than 250 before the cap, 225 steady for hours with it.  I bought a Flameboss because I could not get low temps to stay, don't use it anymore.

Zero play in mine, it hasn't been removed in over a year. 225 or 700, snuffs out as quickly as the cap.

Go figure.
    Highland, MI

• NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @bgebrent Are you going to N. GA Fest this year?  Went up to $25 per person this year + travel + lodging. Haven't decided yet. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014