Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Bowl LI Cooks

Only 1 week away and since I don't have a dog in the fight I'm more excited about the boozing and food prep than the game this year.  Wife still just watches for the commercials.

We are heading to a party about 20 minutes away, so the food needs to hold for approximately 45 minutes.  

Planning on egging and drinking the afternoon away. 

On the list so far:
- bacon cheese burger sliders. (80/20 to keep them juicy, seasoned with DP Cow Lick)
- baby back ribs (mustard, dizzy dust, 275 till done.  Likely glaze with sweet baby rays to finish)
- smoked wings (plan on loading them on AR nearing end of rib cook, just tossing these in Moores hot wing sauce)

What's everyone else planning?  I know this crowd is creative!  I'm sticking with classics that travel easy!

Game talk, hard to pick a favorite team.  Don't want to see Patriots win again, but would like to see old man Brady stick it to Roger!

Large BGE - 2014
FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
Lake Norman area of NC
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just put a 10# pork loin in the fridge to thaw. Planning to halve it and stuff one half and cook the other whole. Also making baked beans and mac and cheese. For apps I'm planning wings, stuffed mushrooms, and pineapple gems. My neighbor is bringing fresh bread and other friends are bringing dessert and a veggie tray. There's still some gaps to be filled, but that will come together this week. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I somehow missed out, but what are pineapple gems?

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    I somehow missed out, but what are pineapple gems?
    http://itsmyrub.com/bacon-wrapped-pineapple-gems/

I've been using Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head for rub.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    You gotta spatchcock a "dirty bird" 
  • DMW said:
    I somehow missed out, but what are pineapple gems?
    http://itsmyrub.com/bacon-wrapped-pineapple-gems/

I've been using Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head for rub.
    Thanks!!!

Little Rock, AR

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    SRF brisket here, hope it's a good game.
    Jacksonville FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    So far I have a prime brisket, baked beans, blue cheese slaw, pig shots. Now I'm seriously considering pineapple gems. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DMW
    So far I have a prime brisket, baked beans, blue cheese slaw, pig shots. Now I'm seriously considering pineapple gems. 
    Do it. Don't try to use fresh or canned pineapple, order the dried pineapple ASAP.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DoubleEgger
    DMW said:
    Do it. Don't try to use fresh or canned pineapple, order the dried pineapple ASAP.
    I just ordered five pounds based on your recommend Brother D. Is that ASAP enough? 
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    44 day dry aged ribeye. Been waiting a long time to enjoy. 
  • DoubleEgger
    CMH88 said:
    44 day dry aged ribeye. Been waiting a long time to enjoy. 
    Whatever you do, don't trim it. 
  • GATraveller
    DMW said:

Done. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I just have my crew. Thinking all apps. Abts, pinnacle gems(thanks for that above) fried pickles, chips, veggies a couple of dips. Maybe some wings with a traditional buffalo sauce. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    I just ordered the it's my rub smooth blend for the gems. I hope it's good; the shipping costs as much as the rub. 
  • I'm going to have to do some of those pineapple gems.  I might just try tossing some dried pineapples in chili powder instead of ordering them. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Dobie said:
    SRF brisket here, hope it's a good game.
    +1 Been wet aging it (unintentionally) since mid-December.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I just ordered the it's my rub smooth blend for the gems. I hope it's good; the shipping costs as much as the rub. 
    It's good... Great on plain potato chips
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I will probably not be following the tongue in cheek fare.  Who wants dirty birds?   Probably something snotty.  Something that will be mocked by grass fed forum members from Iowa.  Although, thinking it through, they don't have a stake in the game either.  oh well.  Chicken or sea cucumber.  Will figure it out on game day.
    I will probably not be following the tongue in cheek fare.  Who wants dirty birds?   Probably something snotty.  Something that will be mocked by grass fed forum members from Iowa.  Although, thinking it through, they don't have a stake in the game either.  oh well.  Chicken or sea cucumber.  Will figure it out on game day.
    Said a disgruntled Saints fan... 
  • I will be egging 4 butts that I raffled off for charity. 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    All sounds good so far!  Pineapple gems sound like something I might add also!

I did not see the official weight loss thread until after posting last night.  I was worried everyone was eating salads and grilled veggies so they could win one of the great prizes!  Super Bowl had to be a cheat day!

@nolaegghead Panthers fan here, so I understand the desire to roast the dirty bird!  Pull for NFC South rival or see Pats when another. .......  The tough decisions in life, what to cook, type of drink to pour, and who to pull for.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• HofstraJet
    Go Falcons. I'm so over the Pats. And as a Jets fan, I take full responsibility for unleashing Brady on the NFL and apologize for Mo Lewis's hit on Bledsoe. As they say, be careful what you wish for.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited January 2017
    I picked up some green onion and crayfish sausage to smoke and sauce. I am thinking of either doing that, or bringing it down to the NC2B 2. That is delicious food, right there. I also have some tasso and boudin.
    Either that, or some BBR'S with Bleu cheese slaw, and Mac and cheese.
    Who is playing?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    Go Falcons. I'm so over the Pats. And as a Jets fan, I take full responsibility for unleashing Brady on the NFL and apologize for Mo Lewis's hit on Bledsoe. As they say, be careful what you wish for.
    Its hard to believe that the other teams in the AFC East have sucked for as long as they have. I root for the Jets, Bills and Dolphins unless the game has direct implications against my Steelers. 
  • HofstraJet
    Its hard to believe that the other teams in the AFC East have sucked for as long as they have. I root for the Jets, Bills and Dolphins unless the game has direct implications against my Steelers. 
    Yeah - AFC East for a while was one of the best divisions, even with Buffalo. Not so much anymore.
  • GATraveller
    Said a disgruntled Aints fan... 

FTFY
    Rise Up!  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon said:
    I picked up some green onion and crayfish sausage to smoke and sauce. I am thinking of either doing that, or bringing it down to the NC2B 2. That is delicious food, right there. I also have some tasso and boudin.
    Either that, or some BBR'S with Bleu cheese slaw, and Mac and cheese.
    Who is playing?
    Damn. Sounds good. I'll definitely being cooking boudin. Not sure what else yet. 

Little Rock, AR

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    My broncos aren't in the big show but, I am in Atlanta so too be fun again to watch. 

SRF briskets again! Haven't decided on sides- will let the wife decide. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GATraveller

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA