Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless beef short ribs from Costco

Cooked about 6 hours total, 3 on the smoke and 3 in foil then into the cooler for about 1.5 hrs. Came out really tender. Used a rub that I found at Wally World.
These could easily be pulled beef.

Comments

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Looks good to me!!

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • How'd you like the rebel rub? Almost bought it but passed. 

XLBGE 
  • I actually liked it and bought another bag, it was the best on chicken for me, I should have used more on the short ribs today 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Looks good.  I've never known what to do with boneless "ribs"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Foghorn said:
    Generally, you eat them.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    @Hotwingking, Those look very nice. Are the Costco ribs in the cryovac already cut into chunks or are they left as whole "slabs".  I like to get mine at Restaurant Depot where they are still slabs but Costco is closer.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • @Shiff , these were 2 big slabs. I have been looking for plate ribs but unable to find so far.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Foghorn said:
    Generally, you eat them.
    OK.  NOW I get it.  Thanks @Eggcelsior.  You're always helpful. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    @Shiff , these were 2 big slabs. I have been looking for plate ribs but unable to find so far.
    Restaurant Depot sells Plate Ribs as well as Chuck Short ribs (with or without bones).  Don't know where you are located but check out their web page to see if there is one near you.

I prefer cooking them as a slab since I think they taste better.  I cook them at 250-275 and don't wrap them and they take 5-7 hours until they probe tender.  When they are cooked without wrapping they are more like burnt ends from brisket.

Web page for restaurant Depot is
    http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

You can get a free membership if you can show them business papers (any business - not just food related ones). You can also show them a Kansas City BBQ Society membership card and get a day pass to the store as often as you wish.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    All I can say is I am really glad that these have not been out when I make my visit too Costco.  Between these and those tomahawk steaks I have seen this weekend, my card would be on tilt alert !  Very nice cook.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • @Shiff,  thanks for the info we have a Restaurant Depot not far away so I will check it out.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @Shiff,  thanks for the info we have a Restaurant Depot not far away so I will check it out.
    I get plate ribs at Sam's Club.  They don't have them in the case whole, they cross-cut them 1/4" thick and sell as kalbi short ribs or something like that.  If you ask the meat cutters, they'll weigh and label whole racks for you, usually 2 or 4 racks in a cryo.