Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kingsford

I've always used Kingsford bRicketts on my weber kettle and didn't mind them.
I've only used lump in my egg ... I've had it for 3 months. I've never read anyone using bricks on this site. 
Does anyone use them ?

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    They are frowned upon because of the taste/flavor they may give off.  Don't want that in your ceramics.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Way to much ash generated too. Pass on the Kingsford... 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    My dad used Kingsford in his kamado back in the 1960's and for the next 20 years. They create a lot more ash which is why most people don't use them these days.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Yes as above. Ash is the enemy of Kamado cooking. Briquettes produce way more ash and will hamper your cooking performance. You don't want a bad performance.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    The Kingsford will not profane your egg with off flavors.  It will, however, as others have said, leave more ash.  If you're used to them in your Weber, that will be a large "So what" to you.

We put the ash in our composters, so it's kind of a plus for us.  Only downside is less ability to go full jet-engine mode.
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    I have no problems cleaning it after each use.

• pgprescott
    36onslow said:
    I have no problems cleaning it after each use.

It will clog the holes and restrict airflow during cooks. Carry on. You asked. We tell truth. 
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Most charcoal does the same I find ..  its hard to find a good one or a good bag in Nova Scotia. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    36onslow said:
    Most charcoal does the same I find ..  its hard to find a good one or a good bag in Nova Scotia. 
    Most decent lump will not clog during cooks.  My XL gets cleaned about every 3 bags of Rockwood.  My MM gets cleaned every cook.

When I use KBB in my Smokey Mountain after 6hrs or so the temp will begin to drop.  I give it a good swift kick and it knocks the ash off the briquettes and the heat goes back up.  Kicking my XL would hurt.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    36onslow said:
    Lump and briquettes are not even close to being the same. If you like briquettes and don't mind restricted airflow and excessive ash compared to lump, it is your grill, use what you want. Just be sure to not get tempted to light those briquettes with lighter fluid.
    Personally, I would take the worst lump over the best briquettes in both my egg and Vision grill, but that is just me.
    Camping with the Smokey Joe, briquettes and lighter fluid work just fine.
  • I don't know that all briquettes will stink up the egg, but I would definitely avoid the matchlight stuff.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Hi my name is Jeremiah, and I use kingsford in occasion. 

Mostly in my mm. It creates a lot of ash as it's mostly lime, and it doesn't get as hot as lump for the same reason. BUT it is uniform in size.  Which is a big deal in a mm. So yeah. I use it sometimes. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    I don't know that all briquettes will stink up the egg, but I would definitely avoid the matchlight stuff.
    It's not the issue, that is a canard, except for matchlight stuff. The ash issue is the only real issue, and it's real. I used briquettes in my kettle. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Check out Home Hardware or Canadian Tire for Maple Leaf lump. Excellent lump and should be pretty well accessible even in the wilds of Nova Scotia. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pgprescott
    Jeremiah said:

Mostly in my mm. It creates a lot of ash as it's mostly lime, and it doesn't get as hot as lump for the same reason. BUT it is uniform in size.  Which is a big deal in a mm. So yeah. I use it sometimes. 
    Hi Jeremiah!
  • Jeremiah said:

lol miah 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Jeremiah said:

I'm going to try briquettes in my MM.  I still struggle getting consistent temps/times in it.  Maybe that is the trick.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I use briquettes in the mini all the time.  Yes it makes more ash but I think for searing you get a more even burn.   The downside is I do good to get 2 cooks before I have to clean it out.  

BTW - the whole idea that briquettes will taint your egg with bad smells is BS unless you use something like Matchlight.    Calling @SGH

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.