Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Heading to Franklin BBQ, what's the parking like?

Comments

• If it only had better marbling. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

Use Über
    We don't have Uber here. They left 
    Don't you mean they Lyft?

I'll see myself out...
    They "lyft" too.

I know, you Austin folks have it rough.  Pretty soon y'all will be just another College Station.
    That is hurtful. However I am steeled by the fact that i found a Meyer All Natural prime brisket at my local today for $3.77 lb. 
    I cooked a choice brisket from Walmart today. I think I paid just a bit less than that. You suck.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hey, your fat cap is marbled with meat!
    Hey, your fat cap is marbled with meat!
    Looks amazing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Sounds like waiting in line is like a tailgate party sans food.
    Hhhmmmm...good place to park a taco truck.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    HeavyG said:
    Sounds like waiting in line is like a tailgate party sans food.
    Hhhmmmm...good place to park a taco truck.
    Brisket taco truck.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -  when you gonna cook that hunk of beauty?  Great looking brisket right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

• Use Über

I'll see myself out...
    They "lyft" too.

I know, you Austin folks have it rough.  Pretty soon y'all will be just another College Station.
    That is hurtful. However I am steeled by the fact that i found a Meyer All Natural prime brisket at my local today for $3.77 lb. 
    I officially hate you.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

Use Über

I'll see myself out...
    They "lyft" too.

reminds me about Meyer sausage. Have been talking the HEB and  Kiolbassa up for a long time.  Think it was you that said to try the Meyers. I did and they are better (IMO). 
    They are as good as getting them fresh off the grill. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Well, we got here at 8:15 and they just came around and told us we are in the "danger zone" and might not get any food. Shouldn't have stopped for 20 minutes at Buccee's in Temple :anguished:
  • lousubcap
    Wow-  must be quite a line for that to happen at 8:15 AM.  You may be sufficiently down the line that they could run out of pulled pork or the other pork offerings (ribs, sausages)  but he runs heavy on brisket so that is the last to run out.  Must be the holiday crowd.  Dang-about what number are you in the line?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Well, we got here at 8:15 and they just came around and told us we are in the "danger zone" and might not get any food. Shouldn't have stopped for 20 minutes at Buccee's in Temple :anguished:
    Man that sucks.  I hope it still works out for you.  I'd probably go and do some other fun things in Austin, and then maybe check out one of the other places Cen-Tex recommended.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • We are the second to last guaranteed food, thank my lucky stars! The line is cut off at the group behind me, and we'll only get brisket and maybe sausage. That's fine by me, at least I can cross this place off the list now...

@lousubcap we're about 130 or so, right at the edge of his property. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well, we got here at 8:15 and they just came around and told us we are in the "danger zone" and might not get any food. Shouldn't have stopped for 20 minutes at Buccee's in Temple :anguished:
    Did you take the highway?
    Did you take the highway?
    Yep, hardly any traffic this morning
  • lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -  when you gonna cook that hunk of beauty?  Great looking brisket right there.  
    I'm actually giving it to my neighbor for Christmas. He was going to order one online for like $11 per lb and i told him that our store has them all the time. Was in there yesterday and they have 5-6 of them. I still have 2 SRF in the freezer so I am already hoarding meat. I figured it was the neighborly thing to do. 

• Mickey said:

Use Über

I'll see myself out...
    They "lyft" too.

reminds me about Meyer sausage. Have been talking the HEB and  Kiolbassa up for a long time.  Think it was you that said to try the Meyers. I did and they are better (IMO). 
    They are as good as getting them fresh off the grill. 

Those are awesome

That's brutal. Last time I went (and it was this time of year) we got there ay 7:30 and ate at 2. More people go during the holidays so you gotta go earlier.

I know you came for Franklin but I'm serious about Valnetina's. It may better. If you are going to get skunked at Franklins (as in no brisket) I would lick my wounds and head to Valentina's and have a fun day in Austin. You will eat in 15 minutes, have arguably the best bbq in town, you will be in the parking lot of a liquor store and vape shop so if you are in to that kind of thing...

It's not the pilgrimmage that Franklin is but it's great bbq. World class.

• We are the second to last guaranteed food, thank my lucky stars! The line is cut off at the group behind me, and we'll only get brisket and maybe sausage. That's fine by me, at least I can cross this place off the list now...

Great news. brisket is the only thing there that you cna't get anywhere else (except Valentina's). 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2016

We are the second to last guaranteed food, thank my lucky stars! The line is cut off at the group behind me, and we'll only get brisket and maybe sausage. That's fine by me, at least I can cross this place off the list now...

Hope you brought beer and snacks (you can buy it from Franklin if you didn't). You are in for a long day. It's totally worth it though. It's a fun day
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited December 2016
    https://youtu.be/3dFC2AqST3Y
    video of Aaron Franklin at Valentinas.
  • That is an awesome video. That settles it, I'm headed to Valentina's for lunch today. That taco is to die for
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker I ate at Valentina's yesterday for lunch. I had the brisket taco and it was truly great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • All in all, I'm glad I made the trek down here. I will say I thought the sausage was underwhelming, and I think my pulled pork is better. But the brisket is legit. It's saltier than I thought it would be, not as much a black pepper flavor as other central Texas standouts. I don't think I'll ever wait in line for 5 hours again, but like I said, I'm glad I can cross it off the list. 
    it's all about the brisket there, And the beef ribs on Saturdays. you can find better of everything else (or at least just as good). Always a fun day though
  • lousubcap said:
    I'm actually giving it to my neighbor for Christmas. He was going to order one online for like $11 per lb and i told him that our store has them all the time. Was in there yesterday and they have 5-6 of them. I still have 2 SRF in the freezer so I am already hoarding meat. I figured it was the neighborly thing to do. 
    Just dropped it off. He was happy. 
  • lousubcap
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker- with that cut I would be as well.  Great move.  I'm sure you will get a sampling.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    lousubcap said:
    Just dropped it off. He was happy. 
    Cooked?
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker this may be THE year that i make my first pilgrimage to Austin. I'm thinking about staying downtown near the music scene and focusing on brisket at a few different locations. I'm driving and have 2 weeks off so won't be in a rush to get back home. I'm assuming that "the line" at Franklin's is a must right? Looks like Valentina's will be on the list for sure too.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. This will probably be a one-time only trip from Bama.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    All in all, I'm glad I made the trek down here. I will say I thought the sausage was underwhelming, and I think my pulled pork is better. But the brisket is legit. It's saltier than I thought it would be, not as much a black pepper flavor as other central Texas standouts. I don't think I'll ever wait in line for 5 hours again, but like I said, I'm glad I can cross it off the list. 
    Yeah.  His briskets are ridiculously salty. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf